What's the cheapest longer cruise you've taken?

took a TA last spring to Malaga Spain from San Juan...13 days on Adventure of the Sea in a Jr. suite for $999 pp plus $200 obc,dinner for two and free spa treatment...plus we are D+so free drinks each evening and $250 off of our cabin! s w e e t

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lol what a thread topic.

Here is mine...

11 months circumnavigation Westwards from Plymouth UK to Plymouth UK.

They even paid me :)

Courtesy of Her Majesties Navy.

Mind you, they did make me work :(

Not posting a deal, just asking a question to those of you great prices, was it through your TA, did you scour the web or did anyone call the cruise line directly to play lets make a deal.

G

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's not as good as some but I still think we did a great job!

16 day TA FLL to Copenhagen the past April....$1600/person for a balcony at the back of the ship. Complained because of the bass coming thru the floor from Club Fusion below....got $360 back when all I wanted was for them to turn the bass down and even told them I didn't want the money (but took it anyway).

$1350 OBC, $89pp one way STL to FLL and $300 for the both of us from Copenhagen to STL because I used airline points.

Hotel in FLL Embassy Suites free on points. Hilton (upgraded to Executive Floor) in Copenhagen free on points.

We had a great time and still had money left in our OBC which they refunded us!

• 2 weeks later...

Transatlantics are the way to go. Our fourth one is booked on RCI for this Sept. from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. We have an outside room for $574 each. We get great obc from CruCon plus a $250 credit for owning 100 shares of RCI stock. The stock credit applies, in various amounts, to all future cruises booked on RCI or Celebrity. The stock is now selling for less than $24 and pays a dividend of 1.4%. A great deal!!!

12 night Princess Holy Lands for $699 for inside but was upgraded to balcony.

11 night RCI East Coast repositioning originally booked at $1000 for OV but switched to inside when the price of those cabins dropped to $279.

14 night Princess Alaska $649 for inside.

15 night Celebrity TA $699 for OV

Don't forget to check the cruise line's air prices. They can be much cheaper than booking on your own.

Sign up to get special last minute sailing notifications with all the cruise lines. Some of the online travel agencies have a special deal of the day. You have to ask how to find them. Ask if you can be included in any group bookings. All of the above prices were of the last minute variety. We negotiated for OBC and wine. Sometimes we were able to use our shareholders credits for more OBC. You really have to have a flexible schedule and look daily to find the good deals.

Edited by Grannycb

To the people looking for deals:

Cruises that start in one port and end in another (e.g., Transatlantics) are almost always pretty cheap because of the associated airfare. You generally have to pay a lot more to fly into one city then fly home from a different one. Therefore, they often have trouble filling rooms. Plus, you tend to spend more onboard because it's more sea days.

Hurricane Season seems to offer great deals! It's a risk you take, but can be a good deal. Or it can be a miserable cruise.

Other "off season" rates are good to look at. We find early December to be one of the cheapest Caribbean cruise times.

Some great deals can be found in distant ports, again because of associated airfare.

And, if you are willing to book an inside, it can lead to awesome deals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we traveled on Carnivals ship the Pride? It was a non smoking ship then! It was going from Miami, Florida to Long Beach, California via the Panama Canal. These ships will NEVER miss their time for the Canal portion- lots of money to get their time slot! The ship kept their passengers from the previous cruise an extra night in Mexico ( well away from Huricane action) then booked it back to Florida, shoved off the passengers who were in a day late (missed all there flights). Our cruise left one day late. Yes it was hard to get to since Miami airport was closed for huge chunks of time. Airlines wonderful and let us change flights since it was do to the airport being closed. I was to be the third person in a ocean view cabin. We had been trying to up grade to a balcony/ suite? prior to hurricane and they never got back to us(Miami office closed due to hurricane)...so fast talking by family and they gave me my own ocean view cabin near all our family, no change in price. My guess is that the ship sailed 2/3 full, and they didn't upgrade people to those great cabins.:eek: Think many factors = my free cabin for the 3rd person rate! When we sailed the canal everyone was out to see the view, we can't imangion it if the ship had been full. On board account credited with $ for day late sailing, and more for missed port so they could get to the canal on time. Amazing trip:)

In '05 we did an 11 night on Celebrity Zenith, bit under $600pp for an inside (due to three people in the room). I can't find the original booking, there may have been an obc involved. In '07 we did a 15-night trans-atlantic on the Norwegian Dream for just over $1,000pp for an oceanview, though the docs say there was an onboard credit (but doesn't list the amount, and I can't remember). So I guess I wasn't getting as good a deal as I thought :)

• 3 weeks later...

14 nights on NCL Dawn 11/09 from NYC to Miami in an oceanview was $1436.00 total for 2. I have $1000. in credit card points I cashed in, so it made the cruise $436.00 for the 2 of us, plus tips and airfare. Great deal! Great ports! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Transatlantics are the way to go. Our fourth one is booked on RCI for this Sept. from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. We have an outside room for $574 each. We get great obc from CruCon plus a $250 credit for owning 100 shares of RCI stock. The stock credit applies, in various amounts, to all future cruises booked on RCI or Celebrity. The stock is now selling for less than $24 and pays a dividend of 1.4%. A great deal!!!

How do you get credit with RCI, or any line, when you own shares? I'm buying 100 shares of RCI, and want to get all the perks I can. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Booked a 16-day Southeast Asia and China cruise on the Diamond Princess for $1,099 pp (but had to pay the solo supplement). My parent also booked this cruise in a mini-suite. Right before sailing, we got a call from Princess saying the cruise was overbooked and asking if we'd be interested in sharing a penthouse suite. In return they gave my parents $500 OBC each ($1,000 total), and gave me $1,500 OBC due to the solo supplement. We jumped at the chance.

So, I ended up taking that 16-day cruise in a penthouse suite for $698 (plus got the free internet, free laundry, and all the other perks of a suite :D).

Just recently booked a 17-day panama canal cruise for $899 per person, inside cabin. Can't wait to go on that one.

• 1 month later...

Mine is a REAL saver! Just after 9/11 noone wanted to fly and people we cancelling trips all over the place. My DH and I took a 14-day thru the Panama Canal cruise for $200 each....granted it was an inside cabin, but for $200.....who cares!

We also got a 3 week cruise with flight from Toronto-Montego Bay return in October '01. Oceanview cabin for the 2 of us. Total price was just under $1200 and that included gratuities and our bar bill.

Next best deal -we leave for Spain in the morning. This is a TA on AotS..2 week cruise from Malaga to San Juan and the cabin on Promenade totaled $1200 for the 2 of us. Of course, now we are paying for air to Spain and from San Juan back to Toronto. But still a great deal.

Nikki