Staying in touch onboard

Bluekat74

I know this might seem a really dumb question, but booked a cruise for next May with my husband, and it didn't bother me too much, but have a further cruise booked for Feb 2013 with my daugher. Just wondered do they have walkie talkies or how on earth do you keep in contact with other people on board, as I imagine my daughter might like to go off and do some of the tiny teen activities, but it would be nice to be able to remain in contact with her, as being a typical mum, am worried about the fact she is so young and going on such a big ship.

I know this might seem a really dumb question, but booked a cruise for next May with my husband, and it didn't bother me too much, but have a further cruise booked for Feb 2013 with my daugher. Just wondered do they have walkie talkies or how on earth do you keep in contact with other people on board, as I imagine my daughter might like to go off and do some of the tiny teen activities, but it would be nice to be able to remain in contact with her, as being a typical mum, am worried about the fact she is so young and going on such a big ship.

The best way we have found is just establish designated meeting times and leave each-other phones messages or written messages in the cabin.

Trust me, walkie talkies will not work for you.

Establish times and places that you will meet.

Having been there and done it with a 13 and 15 YO, we found it unnecessary to keep constant contact. During the day, we would always hook up at the pool. Dinner in MDR was mandatory. After the entertainment, we would all meet up on the promenade Crown and Kettle. Then decide what and where to go.

As others have said, walkie talkies just aren't that great on ship. We use the stationery in our room and leave notes (quicker/easier IMHO), or call and leave messages. Then of course meeting up for meals or certain shows also helps to regroup.

Apart from not working very well, walkie-talkies, like cell phones, tend to disturb other passengers.

Nothing is worse than relaxing by the pool or sitting enjoying a quiet drink and someone starts shouting into a phone or walkie-talkie.

Use post-it notes in the cabin or leave messages on your cabin phone.

It's really not so hard to stay in touch as you might imagine. If you set tentative plans for the day, and have meet-up times and places, you'll know where everyone is and where to find them.

Yes...the ship is large, but most of it is taken up with cabin space...and YOUR hallway is the only one you need to concern yourself with. You'll find that you'll gravitate to the same public areas over and over, so places to "look for" the rest of your party are limited.

If your child is younger, I would allow her to go to the activity, but then she must check in with you before doing anything else....of course, you will tell her where you'll be, so she can do that!

It is hard to beleive but...they find you! I always said were going here or there and we will meet then but, in the mean time we always catch up around the pool and such. Post~it notes are perfect for the room and the old fashion telephone is great to use when your out and about and want to touch base with the room.

I hate to sound old (52yo) but the kids cover more ground on the ship than we do.

As much as I tried not to be found, they kept finding me all the time.:mad:

Have to laugh at this. Considering I have five children, one of my favourite sayings is "I have tried childproofing my house, but they always seem to get back inside".

I did read that RCI on the voyager vessels offer rental DEET phones. I think I might try that. She is pretty freaked out as well as myself and I imagine she will stay pretty close at all times, especially with it just being the two of us.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived