23 Grams of Cannabis on the Dawn......Holy cow!

phillynick

So if I understand correctly, a government enforcing its well-advertised drug laws is involved in a big money grab. Somehow, I am missing the logic here.:eek:

Bill

you cant see the logic in thinking that a $10,000 fine is ' a big money grab'? what else would you call it? what if people were fined $10,000 for importing a few extra bottle of liquoir, would you think that was outrageous or just enforceing the rules?

The one thing I am missing is, why do they say the person was importing it when it never left the ship? Is a ship in that port considered to be under the laws of Bermuda,or is it where the ship is "flagged"?

I have been on many (50 plus) cruises and the only time I have ever seen dogs on the ships were in Bermuda.

So, if you are going to bring it,smoke it before you get there.:cool:

Is a $10,000 fine REALLY meant as a deterrent, or is it REALLY meant to generate income? The fact that it's set up as a "pay and go" says a lot...

Is the death penalty REALLY meant as a deterrent, or is it REALLY for revenge??

:confused:

Tom

The one thing I am missing is, why do they say the person was importing it when it never left the ship?

My point exactly - if they catch the perp on shore with the goods, throw the book at him. That was why I suggested that the dogs should be doing their work on shore, not on the ship if they are really after people importing drugs.

My point exactly - if they catch the perp on shore with the goods, throw the book at him. That was why I suggested that the dogs should be doing their work on shore, not on the ship if they are really after people importing drugs.

Well -- it was probably "obvious" that the individual in question would wait until they left port and then, under cover of darkness, jettison the contraband overboard in a life preserver with a homing beacon so that his comrades from the island could scoop it out of the drink later...

They averted a potential corruption of their island youth no doubt!

Be PROACTIVE, and nip it in the BUD! ;) :D

Tom

They were doing that when we came back into NYC. First time in all our 9 cruises I saw it. Two dogs sniffing the luggage we were dragging with us up to customs and also sniffing the luggage on the racks the porters were dragging around.

Total different situation - in this case the US is looking for people who actually intend to smuggle drugs into the country.

So if I understand correctly, a government enforcing its well-advertised drug laws is involved in a big money grab. Somehow, I am missing the logic here.:eek:

Bill

On nearly every cruise I have been on, you can catch a wiff of pot somewhere on the ship. Bermuda is the only port that I know of that strictly enforces their anti-drug policies. Hell, go on a cruise ship after Jamaica and it's like you've gone to Hemp Fest Boston! :eek: It's rediculous but the shipboard security doesn't seem to care. Bermuda will drag you off the ship and hold you captive until you pay them ransom, I mean a fine. Good for them for enforcing it because it does pump thousands of dollars into their local govt every single cruise season. This year they seem to be surprisingly more stringent or the cruisers to Bermuda are dumber... your pick. ;)

...This year they seem to be surprisingly more stringent or the cruisers to Bermuda are dumber... your pick. ;)

"Why do you think they call it DOPE?"

Sorry... that was floating around in the grey matter --- remnants of 70's commercials! :)

Tom

well -- it was probably "obvious" that the individual in question would wait until they left port and then, under cover of darkness, jettison the contraband overboard in a life preserver with a homing beacon so that his comrades from the island could scoop it out of the drink later...

They averted a potential corruption of their island youth no doubt!

be proactive, and nip it in the bud! ;) :d

tom

lol...

On nearly every cruise I have been on, you can catch a wiff of pot somewhere on the ship. Bermuda is the only port that I know of that strictly enforces their anti-drug policies. Hell, go on a cruise ship after Jamaica and it's like you've gone to Hemp Fest Boston! :eek: It's rediculous but the shipboard security doesn't seem to care. Bermuda will drag you off the ship and hold you captive until you pay them ransom, I mean a fine. Good for them for enforcing it because it does pump thousands of dollars into their local govt every single cruise season. This year they seem to be surprisingly more stringent or the cruisers to Bermuda are dumber... your pick. ;)

They don't seem to care unless someone complains. I was on the Jewel at the end of December, a couple was married on the ship they sailed along with their wedding "party". Well this couple was so blatant about smoking, someone complained and they were put off the ship at the next port. The rest of their party continued sailing................talk about a memorable honeymoon.

what if he bought it on the island? what if he intended to smoke the lot befor returning to the USA? he wouldnt be guilty of importing or exporting :rolleyes:

im surprised when you tell them on the island that you are only visiting for a day, they always try to give you more weed than you can possibly smoke lol im like damb thats alot.... :D ;)

im surprised when you tell them on the island that you are only visiting for a day, they always try to give you more weed than you can possibly smoke lol im like damb thats alot.... :D ;)

I'm sure it's hard to resist a "quantity discount"...

Tom

I was on the Dawn in September. One afternoon in Bermuda my husband and I came back from the beach to find security guards and a dog outside of a cabin down the hall. The looks from the guards told us not to hang around to see what was going on. We never found out if anything happened but it reminds all of us that the cruise line takes the rules seriously whether we agree with it or not.

LoL U speaking from experience Tom ?

the quality isnt too bad either :rolleyes:

Just in general retail terms! :)

I was on the Dawn in September. One afternoon in Bermuda my husband and I came back from the beach to find security guards and a dog outside of a cabin down the hall. The looks from the guards told us not to hang around to see what was going on. We never found out if anything happened but it reminds all of us that the cruise line takes the rules seriously whether we agree with it or not.

Kind of makes you wonder if they get a kickback on collected fines like they do when you shop in one of their "recommend" shops in port? !! :eek:

Tom

23 grams of weed is not a lot, especially for a vacation. In college, we smoked an ounce in a matter of 2 days between 5 of us on a roadtrip. An ounce, 28 grams, goes for $300-400 here in Reno, a couple hours from Nor Cal weed farms and the whole shabang. It's not like he's distributing any real weight. I can understand 23 POUNDS, nut 23 grams is personal use. Ridiculous penalties and fines. At least, I know not to dabble in weed if I ever vacation to Bermuda.

Not a lot? So your saying that a 50 something year old man smoking for "medical" reasons in a week the equivalent of what 5 college kids smoke in 2 days on a "road trip" isn't a lot? He wouldn't have had time to leave his room!

im NEVER going to bermuda!

$10,000 fine is ridiculous!!! he wasnt hurting anybody and now he'll probably have to commit a crime just to pay back that fine.

If someone smokes anyway, they sure aint gonna quit on vacation that makes no sence, if anything they go on vacation to smoke and drink more... its so unfair they got caught . :(

It's their rules, and you have two choices. Don't go or don't smoke when you go. Our guide was telling us one day they LOVE the stupid Americans who come to Bermuda and think they can do anything they want. 10K is a hefty fine to pay for smoking a few joints. Once again your in Bermuda not the US;)

He did not have documentation because he's from Massachusetts and it is illegal here too.

Yep, and even with documentation, the cruise lines are specific that it's still not permissible onboard (what with cutting into their profits and all.. LOL).

Tom

It's their rules, and you have two choices. Don't go or don't smoke when you go. Our guide was telling us one day they LOVE the stupid Americans who come to Bermuda and think they can do anything they want. 10K is a hefty fine to pay for smoking a few joints. Once again your in Bermuda not the US;)

gotta respect the rules of where you are traveling to. I went to turkey this year for 2 weeks and you know how strict their laws are, lovely country, friendly people, but I cant go back there, 2 weeks was way too long. im going on vacation not going into detox lol :eek:

Archived