Port shopping guarantee-ever had to make a claim?

Sincity

On our recent trip on the Emerald earlier this month, I purchased a pair of Breitling watches from Diamonds International in Aruba. I had a minor quibble with the quality of the soft "leatherette" boxes the watches are encased in that I did not know about until after we left port. The bottom of the "leatherette" box on both watches are scratched and had rough cuts. Breitlings come in a beautiful hard case and the watches sit inside these soft "leatherette" (really vinyl) boxes that sit inside a recessed area inside the hard case. I inspected the watches at the store and saw that the hard cases are brand new. I did not bother to inspect the "leatherette" box because I saw that the case is new and expected the same with the box.

When I came back, I saved one of the port shoppnig guides that had info on how to file a claim. Sent an email to the company that administers the claim this past Saturday. I received a response from the company Monday morning advising me they will forward it to Diamonds International. On Tuesday afternoon, I get a voicemail and an email from a representative asking for more info. Emailed her all of my receipts and pictures. I get a call from her today (Wednesday morning) letting me know she will forward my info to the store in Aruba and having them send me new boxes and a will provide me a tracking number once shipped.

So far, I am happy with the port shopping guarantee and a believer in buying from a store that is in the program. Hopefully, I will have the new boxes in my hands soon. :cool:

IMG_2831.jpg.58c9201b380b59440d3c77be81a8d522.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg.e712ba7241e2cc675a11bfc20ce4ab1a.jpg

202890076_box1b.jpg.c4092edd5a85afbc3e4a774226918e5a.jpg

Edited by Sincity

Did you deal with On Board Media? I had a terrible experience with them ( thru Royal Caribbean) - got screwed on a $6000 jewelry purchase. I took it to my jeweler when I got home and she said it had a crack in the large stone. I called OBM and they said either send it to New York to be repaired or send it back to Jamacia. I was so upset I didn't want it anymore. She said I needed to pay a 10% restocking fee , which I was ok with. That's the amount that the cruise director gets as a kickback - do you notice that the stores always ask what ship you are on!!!!!

I sent it back to the jewelry store and they refused it. I get a call from UPS saying it was sitting at customs and if I want to see it again, I needed to send them postage ($80) to have it returned. I called OBM and she said "There is nothing I can do, I didn't tell you to send it to the store".

I've never worn it and that was 10 years ago. I will never purchase anything again on any island.

Did you deal with On Board Media? I had a terrible experience with them ( thru Royal Caribbean) - got screwed on a $6000 jewelry purchase. I took it to my jeweler when I got home and she said it had a crack in the large stone. I called OBM and they said either send it to New York to be repaired or send it back to Jamacia. I was so upset I didn't want it anymore. She said I needed to pay a 10% restocking fee , which I was ok with. That's the amount that the cruise director gets as a kickback - do you notice that the stores always ask what ship you are on!!!!!

I sent it back to the jewelry store and they refused it. I get a call from UPS saying it was sitting at customs and if I want to see it again, I needed to send them postage ($80) to have it returned. I called OBM and she said "There is nothing I can do, I didn't tell you to send it to the store".

I've never worn it and that was 10 years ago. I will never purchase anything again on any island.

Yes. Onboard media. Do you recall which store so others may want to steer clear. The cruise director gets that much or the cruiseline? That is a huge spiff. Sorry to hear about your experience. How are they going to fix a cracked stone? My issue must be so small and inexpensive that they just want to "shut me up."

We seldom shop at the 'cruise line approved' stores. This is all about the stores, via an agent, paying the cruise lines for the recommendations vs. the cruise lines recommending a good vendor because they want to protect their guests. In the end, guess who really pays?

We seldom shop at the 'cruise line approved' stores. This is all about the stores, via an agent, paying the cruise lines for the recommendations vs. the cruise lines recommending a good vendor because they want to protect their guests. In the end, guess who really pays?

The free charms are nice and some of the DIs don't even try to sell you thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Many of them do though. My daughter loves the charms.

Interesting you say this. While we were in Aruba, we walked into a store (for it's airconditioning to cool off) and for some strange reason, the store manager decided to start a conversation with us telling us how they used to be on the program and how much they had to pay etc.......

I don't understand why people would buy an expensive piece of jewelry (or other item) so far from home. We have a local jeweler that we have used for years and we have never seen anything cheap enough away from home that tempts us.

I've even seen pieces while traveling that I describe to my jeweler that he then custom makes for me. And they are still cheaper than anywhere else.

I don't understand why people would buy an expensive piece of jewelry (or other item) so far from home.

That depends entirely upon how well you know your jewelry. If you do, some stones are not so difficult to assess (diamonds, for example) and some are more challenging (alexandrite). Of course, it takes experience and a jeweler's loupe, which you can always borrow at the store. I also would not normally buy anything expensive on the islands, unless a piece were really unusual, or of sentimental value.

On the other hand, I would be even less likely to buy something at any of my local jewelers. That also is bound to be too expensive. The only sources I use are NYC and "trusted" online stores. For example, for gold chains (and heavy ones can be darned expensive) I always go to sa**f.com. For diamonds any of several reliable and, I believe, fairly well-known stores.

Bill

I should have added: "or the Far East." In parts of the world where currency has historically been suspect, jewelry and gold especially are often sold close to intrinsic value. Singapore, for example, is a wonderful source for 24k pendants -- and Beijing used to be even better, until China switched to a consumer economy, but it is still very good. I wouldn't recommend 24k jewelry, though, for anything but pendants and earrings: it is softer than 14 -18k gold, and thus more subject to damage from abuse.

Edited by billie5

Years ago we had a problem with diamond jewelry purchased from Diamonds International. As yoU may know, DI is a ship authorized vendor for nearly all cruise lines. Well, we had the jewelry appraised by a certified gemologist that our insurance company deals with and the value was considerably lower than our purchase price. We contacted the cruise line and they referred us to DI for dispute. DI refused to give us a return authorization number to return the items. They stated it "was a judgment call" on diamond quality and they would not allow a return. We contacted our credit card company and they were unable to assist us as they got the same response. As I said this was years ago and I cannot remember who referred me to the Caribbean Gemological Society (memory is vague on organiztion name). This person said that they have had DI in court so many times on this issue but they are 'slippery' enough to get out of any judgment. MY ADVICE IS TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY DI OR THEIR PARTNER STORES IN ANY PORT FOR THIS REASON.

We have thoroughly enjoyed the three cruises we have taken with Princess with perhaps the only disappointment being the port lectures on the Grand in the Caribbean last November. They were nothing more than a hard sell for an hour of Diamonds International by some young guy and his fiancee. Having recently cruised the Med. on the Star with the excellent Joe May as the Port Lecturer, that's what port lectures are supposed to be about. Really useful and practical information about each port and also available during the day for individual questions. We're not sufficiently naive not to realise that somewhere along the line there is a financial transaction between DI and Princess but to call these sessions Port Lectures really was taking the Michael.

I don't understand why people would buy an expensive piece of jewelry (or other item) so far from home. We have a local jeweler that we have used for years and we have never seen anything cheap enough away from home that tempts us.

I've even seen pieces while traveling that I describe to my jeweler that he then custom makes for me. And they are still cheaper than anywhere else.

One of my best friends owns a jewelry store so this purchase was so unlike us but here is how it went down. She was shocked when I told her about our purchase. "you did what?!!!!!!" And we had been on many cruises before this.

I had been taking care of both moms for several years. Both in assisted living - dh is an only child and my one brother lives far away so I took care of everything and went to vist both at least once a day. If any of you are caregivers, you know how exhausting and frustrating it is. Lets just say I did everything possible to make their last years very comfortable, etc. So my husband wanted to treat me to a relaxing cruise.

Every night before dinner, we had a glass of wine in the hot tub and there were two other couples that we talked with every night. In Jamacia we decided to just walk around town. I also had walked past when they were doing to shopping talk as they were discussing their gaurantee and thought that's it was a good deal but never figured I'd be buying anything. We came to a jewelry store and the two other coupes were inside so we went in. It was 90 plus with matching humidity and it felt good in the ac. Then they offered us beer. It was so cold and tasted wonderful. The guys were having a great time talking, drinking and joking around while the girls looked around and we also had a few more beers. The sales staff were really nice and kept bring more beers out.

I tried on a necklace and everyone thought it was beautiful ( large tanzinite in center) and then to my shock my husband says "would you like it?" Then he added "why don't you look for some earings to match it - you deserve something nice after what you have gone thru the past couple years" - his mother was really difficult to deal with".

So, I can't believe I said yes but I think the alcohol had a lot to do with it!!!! and that's probably why the store offers it to you.

After we got back to the ship and it sailed, I was very upset with myself for buying it but never said anything to my husband. So this is very very unike us.

I can't remember the name of the store - I have lots of errands today but will look it up later and post the name.

ANd yes I used my mastercard and did contact them BUT they said they couldn't help us since the purchase was made OUT Of the country - WHAT!!! I couldn't believe that and I did call back to confirm it.

SO, don't say you would never do something - The jewelry is in the safe and everytime I see that box, I get so upset with myself. My jeweler said you wouldn't believe all the people who bring in a purchase from some island and find out it's not worth what they paid or in the case of pearls - they aren't real. And the majority of time, they do nothing, don't want their spouse or anyone to know that they were taken.

One of my best friends owns a jewelry store so this purchase was so unlike us but here is how it went down. She was shocked when I told her about our purchase. "you did what?!!!!!!" And we had been on many cruises before this.

I had been taking care of both moms for several years. Both in assisted living - dh is an only child and my one brother lives far away so I took care of everything and went to vist both at least once a day. If any of you are caregivers, you know how exhausting and frustrating it is. Lets just say I did everything possible to make their last years very comfortable, etc. So my husband wanted to treat me to a relaxing cruise.

Every night before dinner, we had a glass of wine in the hot tub and there were two other couples that we talked with every night. In Jamacia we decided to just walk around town. I also had walked past when they were doing to shopping talk as they were discussing their gaurantee and thought that's it was a good deal but never figured I'd be buying anything. We came to a jewelry store and the two other coupes were inside so we went in. It was 90 plus with matching humidity and it felt good in the ac. Then they offered us beer. It was so cold and tasted wonderful. The guys were having a great time talking, drinking and joking around while the girls looked around and we also had a few more beers. The sales staff were really nice and kept bring more beers out.

I tried on a necklace and everyone thought it was beautiful ( large tanzinite in center) and then to my shock my husband says "would you like it?" Then he added "why don't you look for some earings to match it - you deserve something nice after what you have gone thru the past couple years" - his mother was really difficult to deal with".

So, I can't believe I said yes but I think the alcohol had a lot to do with it!!!! and that's probably why the store offers it to you.

After we got back to the ship and it sailed, I was very upset with myself for buying it but never said anything to my husband. So this is very very unike us.

I can't remember the name of the store - I have lots of errands today but will look it up later and post the name.

ANd yes I used my mastercard and did contact them BUT they said they couldn't help us since the purchase was made OUT Of the country - WHAT!!! I couldn't believe that and I did call back to confirm it.

SO, don't say you would never do something - The jewelry is in the safe and everytime I see that box, I get so upset with myself. My jeweler said you wouldn't believe all the people who bring in a purchase from some island and find out it's not worth what they paid or in the case of pearls - they aren't real. And the majority of time, they do nothing, don't want their spouse or anyone to know that they were taken.

Your story, while having a lot details, never mentions what was wrong with the jewelry. Or were you just angry because you bought it while you were drinking?

Edited by 77Network

Your story, while having a lot details, never mentions what was wrong with the jewelry. Or were you just angry because you bought it while you were drinking?

In post #2 I said the large stone had a crack in it. I guess I didn't think I had to repeat that. I couldn't see it but my jeweler saw it. And the stone was what the necklace was all about.

We have thoroughly enjoyed the three cruises we have taken with Princess with perhaps the only disappointment being the port lectures on the Grand in the Caribbean last November. They were nothing more than a hard sell for an hour of Diamonds International by some young guy and his fiancee. Having recently cruised the Med. on the Star with the excellent Joe May as the Port Lecturer, that's what port lectures are supposed to be about. Really useful and practical information about each port and also available during the day for individual questions.

Alaska and the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera: Port lectures are only about shopping. Avoid them.

Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa: Port lectures are what port lectures should be. Don't miss them.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a while, but, I'm happy with the resolution. I had a Customer Service Rep named Arianna that followed up with me several times and ensured that I received the boxes. To my surprise, the even included the black lacqured case as well.

• 1 year later...

HELP! I would like to know if anyone has the information that tells you the how to contact someone through Princess, when there is a purchase problem with a purchase from a Princess recommended shop in port. I was in Cartagena Co and have problem with merchandise. Didn't bring the shopping guarantee printout from the ship.

I see that Sincity also had problems so I know someone must have this info.

Phone number, email????????

thanks for any help

• 1 month later...

As printed on the Shopping Spotlight guide for St Thomas... from our recent Nov 10/13 Royal Princess cruise.

PORT SHOPPING GUARANTEE...

Shop with confidence, knowing that all merchants on this map have been carefully selected and each offers a 60-day guarantee to cruise line guests.

If a problem arises after your cruise but within 60 days of the purchase date, please contact the Customer Relations Department at Onboard Media Inc.

Phone...(305)673-0400

Toll Free...(800) 396-2999

Fax...(305) 673-2741

Hours...M-Th...9:00am-6:00pm ... Fri...9:00am-5:00pm EST

P.S. there's more small print requirements... but try the contacts as listed and see what can be done about your claim.

Pat :)

Sigh. Need to correct this myth again. The ships/CDs/Shopping hosts, etc do NOT receive a kickback, at least not as part of the shopping program. In fact many countries have made that illegal.

The lines however DO charge the companies a HEFTY fee to be 'featured' in the port shopping guides etc, and the stores ask for the ships so they know which lines are driving them business and how much they spend to use in negotiations. Those coupons/cards they give out as you disembark often have something to indicate the line as well.

Now is it possible some shopping hosts, etc have made side arrangements? Sure. But its not a systemic thing.

Compoz. So sad to read that the jewellery has made u regret its purchase. I get the stone is flawed, however it was bought for u with love. It was a gesture of appreciation and respect from your hubby. I say wear it and enjoy the significance the jewellery is meant to represent. :) it's not just about money value.

By the way just to back up my prior point..

Let's say the shopping host or CD DID get 10 percent. The Grand pulls in to port, 1800 people get off at least. 450 of them go into shops on the 'Preferred list' and spend an average of $50 a piece (which is probably low if a few big pieces of jewelry go). That's $22,500 in sales. At a 10% commission, the host would make $2,250 per port. Can I have that job, PLEASE?

Those numbers also illustrate why the lines can charge a pretty penny for 'marketing' to the shops.

• 2 years later...

We just completed our first Alaskan cruise with RCCL had a great time with one exception. We attended the onboard shopping preview, really had no intention of making a purchase but wanted to be prepared just in case. The Shopping Manager talked about all the guaranteed shopping stores, the RCCL representative just when on an on about the quality of EFFY and the peace of mind we had when shopping at these guaranteed stores. After spending the day in Juneau we stopped in the EFFY store and my wife found a ring she liked and soon we had earrings,necklace, and a bracelet. This was our 35 anniversary trip and we wanted something to remember it by, we are not impulse buyers but felt with all the hype and promise from RCCL staff that we would be ok. We arrived back home and my wife got out her ring to start enjoying it (2 weeks from purchase date) and day 2 a stone fell out. She made a call to RCCL and was directed to call EFFY, she called EFFY and was not really pleased with them not having a refund policy as we were told from the cruise line. It was even on the tv in our cabin that all purchases from the preferred stores were refundable. I placed a called to RCCL and they provided me a contact number of the RCCL group that handles these issues as it seems I'm not the first customer to have these issues. My wife has stopped wearing her new purchases as she is concerned on more stones falling out, when you spend almost $4000 this is not what is expected. In my complaint to Royal Media I requested a full refund, a week has passed and I have received an email back saying this was in process. My review is to let new cruisers know to enter with caution as what I was overjoyed with, now I'm concerned that I was taken advantage of. Hopefully this gets resolved and I'm able to provide the update that our Alaskan memories are still as vibrant as ever and can't wait to go back.