Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

Because what they were eating then was natural and fresh. It wasn't packaged with preservatives and other yucky stuff. There were no fast foods and other unhealthy restaurants.

Plus, they were a lot more active back then. No TV to sit in front of, maybe a radio to listen to at night, but the kids were always outside playing and mom and dad were always working outside or inside, doing chores and staying active.

If you wanted to go anywhere, walking was generally involved. They didn't have a car to jump into to drive a 1/4 mile to the store or the neighbors house.

A lot has changed in the last 100 years that has contributed to the increase in obesity.

In regards to the vegetarian options, I'm all for more of them. I love meat, don't always eat it. I love ordering the vegetarian options on a cruise.

Bingo!

We did eat processed bacon, lunch meats, cheeses........mom used her deep fryer practically every nite lol! Heck we even called "Chicken Delight" on occasion when we could afford it......Loved their fried chicken:D

Absolutely wrong, and extremely short sighted. I "had" to become vegetarian when I developed "Pancreatitis". The other choice is keep eating meat, have it become chronic and turn to into cancer. Very simply I dont have the enzymes to break down the protiens. Eating meat makes me very ill - painfull gas, nausea, diarrhea.

I didnt choose to give up meat, I choose to try to stay alive.

No only do you NOT hear me bitching about it but I know if they were to "shut down" Guys burgers for even an hour. All the "regular folk" would be screaming that there was nothing to eat! all because they had 1 choice removed.

Oh man I feel for you. I had a bout of just mild pancreatitis once.....if anything you should be complaining, not someone who has a choice.

My statement was in direct response to a post stating that the feelings of a minority (in this case, 90 vegetarians) don't matter. No need to go piling dirt on that mole hill in the vain attempt at creating a mountain.

Sometimes...sometimes...it's a good thing to cater to everyone, including all minorities (vegetarians, disabled, gays...) :)

Are you serious ? Well I can bet you that any handicap person or one with a handicap child would GLADLY trade places with the downtrodden person who burdened with having to eat the same limited choces on a cruise.. (of all things) No need to compare something so serious to something so trivial.. how dramatic; now THAT is piling dirt on that mole hill in the vain attempt at creating a mountain ! Like I said, base your case on its own merits. There is no comparison.

Are you serious ? Well I can bet you that any handicap person or one with a handicap child would GLADLY trade places with the downtrodden person who burdened with having to eat the same limited choces on a cruise.. (of all things) No need to compare something so serious to something so trivial.. how dramatic; now THAT is piling dirt on that mole hill in the vain attempt at creating a mountain ! Like I said, base your case on its own merits. There is no comparison.

I think you should go back and read all the posts.......he was not putting down handicapped people.

How is there no comparison? I'm saying the feelings of one minority matter as much as the feelings of another minority. I'd say that's a valid comparison. The fact that you may be vegetarian or disabled or gay, is pretty much irrelevant. My point stands that any minority, no matter how distasteful you find my argument, should be catered for in one way or another.

I think you should go back and read all the posts.......he was not putting down handicapped people.

I will, and you should go back and reread what I wrote as well.. I didn't say he was putting them down, I said using them in such a trivial comparison may be hurtful & to base the case on its own merits.

I understand, however I was just thinking if I was handicapped or had a handicapped child in a wheelchair, that example might be a little hurtful. I wouldn't like something that serious impacting my life to be used in an arguement about limited food choices on a cruise, if it were me, just sayin'....

it's like, support your own case based upon its own merits, no need to drag in people who are enduring such a hardship in their day to day life & comparing their struggles with somethig as trivial as limited food choices

Why?...That was aimed at the posters who are chiming in saying that 'vegetarians are only 3% of the cruise passengers' (and again...people on these boards pull numbers out of their butts sometimes)

That sarcastic post made the point that just because people are in a minorioty, that doesn't mean their needs shouldn't be met....attempts should be made (at least) to accomodate....

and they are.

people just need to call CCL or any other cruise line with special dietary requests...I don't know why people just don't think to ASK. CCL will provide what a vegetarian wants if they let them know ahead of time.

I will, and you should go back and reread what I wrote as well.. I didn't say he was putting them down, I said using them in such a trivial comparison may be hurtful & to base the case on its own merits.

What you wrote means nothing if you insist on making an insult out of something that was not meant as such.

Not at all. Unless they're some kind of veggie burger protesters, blocking the hamburger grill with their wheelchairs. Then we'd have a problem...

And no, for the simpletons among us, I'm not being serious. :)

Carbs can be a huge enemy for many. People should eat complex carbs and stay away from simple carbs. My rule is that anything white is not good. White rice, white potatoes, anything made with white flour, etc.

So True.

How is there no comparison? I'm saying the feelings of one minority matter as much as the feelings of another minority. I'd say that's a valid comparison. The fact that you may be vegetarian or disabled or gay, is pretty much irrelevant. My point stands that any minority, no matter how distasteful you find my argument, should be catered for in one way or another.

Give it up...I think some people just like drama....Everyone else understands the point you made.

Yes, ma'am.

While we're at it...how do I best go about getting a portobello mushroom burger? Gonna make some when you come down?

:eek:I'm not cooking when I come down there!!

(they're easy...marinate them in balsamic vinegar..or wine with some spices and then grill them...YUM) :)

I cant imagine too many "true" vegans cruising. If they do they are very hypocritical. Will they sit in the leather chairs in the restaurants, use the animal tested shampoo provided in the room, sleep under the down blankets, eat the vegartian burgers? As i understand the veggie burgers have egg fillers right? that being said i would imagine the vegan percentage would be even smaller on a cruise ship. Which is a good thing lol.

As part of the 2.0 changes, there is a small closet with fishing poles.
Makes sense given your user name.

BTW ,I love the threads, every 6 months or so that ask, "My hubby is an avid fisherman. Can he fish off our balcony?":p

Does this count as a vegetarian post?

You probably meant SUPER picky, but "supper" works too. :p She has had utensils touch meat more times than she would ever know.

Yeah, I don't think the person in question here is bothered by the idea of utensils having "once or a thousand times touched meat" - it's the idea that the spatula is currently being used to cook meat, is covered with meat fat, transfers that fat and, as a result, renders the vegetarian item non-vegetarian.

I don't see this as any different to when someone such as myself, who doesn't like fish and seafood, doesn't like to see my beef stir fry cooked on the same surface where someone's clam and shrimp stir fry was just done (without a wash).

Archived