Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

But for that three % you have to consider all the other people who might be travelling with vegetarians and be less likely to book cruises because there's nothing new and interesting on offer for their cruise-mate. Then there's also people who might be more health conscious and fancy a veggie option - that brings it up to a bit more than 3% impacted by this.

Yes, there's veggie food available, but take it from me - it's not much fun as someone married to a Vegetarian going to the MDR on your fifth cruise inside of two years to tuck into yet another exciting variation only to have to see your spouse eating the same old thing they ordered last time because it's the vegetarian option for that night. Of course this is understandable, you can't expect Carnival to provide anywhere near the variety as they do for non vegetarians, but when they introduce new things like BI and GBB it's a bit of a downer when there's NOTHING to call vegetarians or their families back to Carnival.

By saying there's "plenty of vegetarian food available", you're basically telling vegetarians to "make do" with the same old stuff. People don't cruise to "make do" and even though I, as a proud carnivore would not be making do, there's little chance that I'm going to be able to drum up any spousal enthusiasm when all these exciting dining upgrades mean nothing to her.

It really wouldn't have been too difficult to offer at least a token vegetarian option at these places.

But vegetarians are so by choice, not like they are going to starve.

Alot of the same reasons that chicken is now "by request only... maybe." With the addition that you need a separate grill for the veggie burgers because if they are on the same grill, some people will flake out.

Like Kosher food ! LOL

I agree with the OP, the menus are lacking in their choices of vegetarian foods. If you are on a 7 day cruise, that is 21 meals...just how many times can you have a meatless burrito or something from the salsa bar. Five Guys offers a veggie burger and it is a burger joint, so why can't Guy's?. The MDR choices are there, but not enough to choose from. I personally am not a vegetarian, but my son is and last year when we were cruising together, he had a difficult time finding food he really could enjoy. And, let's face it folks, food is a big part of a cruise. If this were not so, why all the hype about all the 2.0 food additions? As another poster noted, if you are sailing with a vegetarian you want to dine with them and if they are not happy, you will not be happy, either. I know this from personal exerience!

wow...

I believe that was said in sarcasm.

Actually I KNOW it was...hence the little ":rolleyes:" face.....

(that poster...who I love and adore is British. I don't always get his humor...and I don't get JH's either....'cause I'm not British ;))

I agree with the OP, the menus are lacking in their choices of vegetarian foods. If you are on a 7 day cruise, that is 21 meals...just how many times can you have a meatless burrito or something from the salsa bar. Five Guys offers a veggie burger and it is a burger joint, so why can't Guy's?.

Well, what did the non-meat eating do before Guy's was even ON the ships?????

Nothing has changed for the vegetarians. This has nothing to do with Guys. If CCL doesn't offer enough non-meat items...WRITE to them...make a suggestion and in the mean time, scope out the other lines and see what they offer.

I agree with the OP, the menus are lacking in their choices of vegetarian foods. If you are on a 7 day cruise, that is 21 meals...just how many times can you have a meatless burrito or something from the salsa bar. Five Guys offers a veggie burger and it is a burger joint, so why can't Guy's?. The MDR choices are there, but not enough to choose from. I personally am not a vegetarian, but my son is and last year when we were cruising together, he had a difficult time finding food he really could enjoy. And, let's face it folks, food is a big part of a cruise. If this were not so, why all the hype about all the 2.0 food additions? As another poster noted, if you are sailing with a vegetarian you want to dine with them and if they are not happy, you will not be happy, either. I know this from personal exerience!

I am just curious. I eat in the buffet.......what in the buffet would a vegetarian not eat except for the few choices of meat offerings. There are more offerings without meat than there is with meat on the all the cruises I have been on.:confused: The new Iguana cafe has offerings without meat. You can get pizza without meat. Heck you can even get a deli sandwich without meat........so all this hoopla is because the burger joint does not offer veggie burgers? What am I missing? People speak like a vegeterian has to have "special vegetarian food". My understanding is it is anything without meat......

A burger is not the cause of being obese;)

No, we all know that stuffing your face with a cheeseburger and fries is calorie free. There are many causes to obesity and this is one.

I'm not against vegetarians. I'm against pushy' date=' obnoxious, self-centered and arrogant vegetarians like the ex-brother-in-law I described.

I also detect an attack in this post upon my "fluffiness". :D I think it's very possible to maintain fluffiness even as a vegetarian.:) Cheeses, butter, potatoes, avocados, breads, desserts, beer and mixed drinks can add on the pounds even more easily than proteins such as steak, pork, and chicken.

And, even though I'm fluffy, I think that any of you who have sailed with me on the Saints and Sinners cruises will verify that I have more energy and endurance than most people half my age. :cool:[/quote']

I have no idea of what you look like so no my post was not directed at you. My comments were in general and not directed at one person.

I understand, however I was just thinking if I was handicapped or had a handicapped child in a wheelchair, that example might be a little hurtful. I wouldn't like something that serious impacting my life to be used in an arguement about limited food choices on a cruise, if it were me, just sayin'....

it's like, support your own case based upon its own merits, no need to drag in people who are enduring such a hardship in their day to day life & comparing their struggles with somethig as trivial as limited food choices

No, we all know that stuffing your face with a cheeseburger and fries is calorie free. There are many causes to obesity and this is one.

Nothing is calorie free.......your point:confused: Eating a hamburger will not lead to obesity:rolleyes:

Aolthough that may be scientific, I took that as fact and went off red meat for two solid years.

Weight stayed the same...cholesterol levels and blood pressure also remained the same.

Then one day...on a July 4th holiday, I just WANTED a hamburger.

So...back on red meat

Decided years later to go on a diet ....South Beach/good carb diet.

Weight dropped. Blood prerssure went down with it and cholesterol levels (total shock) went way down.

Go figure....

I think all people metabolize stuff differently. To me carb is the enemy.

Lean meat is not an enemy.

Processed food is.

Carbs can be a huge enemy for many. People should eat complex carbs and stay away from simple carbs. My rule is that anything white is not good. White rice, white potatoes, anything made with white flour, etc.

I have never been to a Five Guys that had a veggie "burger". What they offer as a "veggie burger" is simply the vegetable toppings that go on the burger. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc.

Originally Posted by rybreadsmomshubby viewpost.gif

No.

Much like, say, the 90 disabled people or wheelchair users on board. They are just an annoying inconvenience that the majority must suffer. :rolleyes:

wow...

oh, the days of proper board moderation......

Actually I KNOW it was...hence the little ":rolleyes:" face.....

Halos, you beat me to it. Gotta look for the smilies;)

But vegetarians are so by choice, not like they are going to starve.

Absolutely wrong, and extremely short sighted. I "had" to become vegetarian when I developed "Pancreatitis". The other choice is keep eating meat, have it become chronic and turn to into cancer. Very simply I dont have the enzymes to break down the protiens. Eating meat makes me very ill - painfull gas, nausea, diarrhea.

I didnt choose to give up meat, I choose to try to stay alive.

No only do you NOT hear me bitching about it but I know if they were to "shut down" Guys burgers for even an hour. All the "regular folk" would be screaming that there was nothing to eat! all because they had 1 choice removed.

Whatever. You will argue with a wall. I refuse to try and match wits with the unarmed.

No it's common sense......guess what I am having for lunch today? And I am far from being obese:rolleyes: And am more healthier and fit than alot of vegeterians....who eat all those processed carbs.......

I understand, however I was just thinking if I was handicapped or had a handicapped child in a wheelchair, that example might be a little hurtful. I woldn't like something that serious impacting my life to be used in an arguement about limited food choices on a cruise, if it were me, just sayin'....

My statement was in direct response to a post stating that the feelings of a minority (in this case, 90 vegetarians) don't matter. No need to go piling dirt on that mole hill in the vain attempt at creating a mountain.

Sometimes...sometimes...it's a good thing to cater to everyone, including all minorities (vegetarians, disabled, gays...) :)

Carbs can be a huge enemy for many. People should eat complex carbs and stay away from simple carbs. My rule is that anything white is not good. White rice, white potatoes, anything made with white flour, etc.
Sister in law is on the no white diet and yet she is extremely white.

Whatever. You will argue with a wall. I refuse to try and match wits with the unarmed.
Kinda immature comment, no? And I agree with your other comments.

And a burger can be healthy......not all vegetarians eat healthy......they just don't eat meat.

On another note.......back in the day growing up people ate meat practically every night. Lots of fried foods, bacon, etc. were the majority etc........why do we have more obese people today than we did years ago? Nobody even knew what veggie burgers were...tofu?

Because what they were eating then was natural and fresh. It wasn't packaged with preservatives and other yucky stuff. There were no fast foods and other unhealthy restaurants.

Plus, they were a lot more active back then. No TV to sit in front of, maybe a radio to listen to at night, but the kids were always outside playing and mom and dad were always working outside or inside, doing chores and staying active.

If you wanted to go anywhere, walking was generally involved. They didn't have a car to jump into to drive a 1/4 mile to the store or the neighbors house.

A lot has changed in the last 100 years that has contributed to the increase in obesity.

In regards to the vegetarian options, I'm all for more of them. I love meat, don't always eat it. I love ordering the vegetarian options on a cruise.

Absolutely wrong, and extremely short sighted. I "had" to become vegetarian when I developed "Pancreatitis". The other choice is keep eating meat, have it become chronic and turn to into cancer. Very simply I dont have the enzymes to break down the protiens. Eating meat makes me very ill - painfull gas, nausea, diarrhea.

I didnt choose to give up meat, I choose to try to stay alive.

No only do you NOT hear me bitching about it but I know if they were to "shut down" Guys burgers for even an hour. All the "regular folk" would be screaming that there was nothing to eat! all because they had 1 choice removed.

I was not addressing medical conditions. I should have specified "vegetarinas who are not vegetrians because they have a specific medical condition such as pancreatitis"... yada yada yada...but that would have taken too long to type..

Archived