Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

Much ado about nothing:

• Unlike

• 373554_144285012280735_879314530_q.jpg

John Heald I am glad you found the answer as I wasnt ignoring you and my thanks to others for helping you. Althopugh Guy does not provide a vegie burger we still have that option and other vegetarian dishes throughout the Lido Jennifer. Thanks again and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know. cheers

Oh dear what will they complain about now:confused:

Not all vegetarians are obnoxious and holier-than-thou and they certainly don't have a mortgage on it. Just try starting a food thread where you declare that you like your steak well-done and see how people treat your culinary preference.

I eat meat nearly every meal and am especially fond of pork and chicken. In a perfect world I think it would be nice if something didn't have to die so I could eat, but dammit it's just so tasty! Thousands of people like me, with my eating habits, live with vegetarians without being preached to on a daily basis.

When you think of vegetarians asking for some options at, let's face it, exciting new additions to Carnival, please don't think of stereotypical PETA vegetarians. It's just normal folks wanting to see something they like to eat at the new places.

Well said. I am a huge meat eater. People think lobster is the best thing in the world but to me a medium rare bone in Ribeye is pure bliss. That said, we always have at least one dinner each week that is vegetarian. I am sure at some point they will offer a veggie burger at the grill but if your wife likes Mexican food Blue Iguina might make for some good burritos. It looks like there is a bunch of different salsa and hot sauces which can make for a unique taste each day.

I would love to see more vegetarian options available. I think most people would like to see a wide selection of food choices rather than the same things everyday. Part of the fun of vacationing is trying new things. Although, that may be a foreign concept to some of the people posting here.

I would love to see more vegetarian options available. I think most people would like to see a wide selection of food choices rather than the same things everyday. Part of the fun of vacationing is trying new things. Although, that may be a foreign concept to some of the people posting here.

As much as a healthy diet and exercise is a foreign concept to the man known to be the face of Carnival.

What a fine example he is. :)

I'm wondering how much that 3% vegetarian population rate varies by location. So many of my friends are vegetarians, also know some who try to stay vegan. And I really don't know any who would interrogate their host as to every ingredient of everything being served. That would be totally obnoxious.

I think more vegetarian items available on carnival would be a good thing. You don't need to be vegetarian or vegan to eat a meal from time to time that doesn't contain meat. Some omnivores like to try different dishes or cut down on the saturated fat intake occasionally.

Some of these replies are "odd", having a true vegetarian option is not unusual, its an industry NORM. A STANDARD. You don't ever get on an airplane, or walk into restaurant (including Guys!!), or go to a banquet (eg wedding) and NOT see a vegetarian meal option.

The original poster isn't asking for some far-out, crazy extremist thing he asked for a freaking veggie burger at a burger joint. Hardly unusual or extremist.

And yes I eat cows.

The variety of vegetarian dishes is vast and tasty. The problem is that the demand for vegetarian dishes is extremely small.

At some places the variety of vegetarian dishes can be tasty. But many are as tasty as cardboard (but there's no meat in cardboard is there?) And many "home cooks" make terrible tasting veggie/vegan dishes, and serve the same ones over and over. I've yet to see a vegetarian restaurant with more than a 2 page menu. Yes demand is relatively small and choice is mostly socio-political twisted around psuedo health/new ageist religious reasons. Same is somewhat true of the gluten-free movement, with the exception of those who are indeed suffering from celiac disease and have been diagnosed as such by Western medical doctors.

In any limited space environment with limited daily access to replenishing supplies and where large number of rotating guests with equally large number of dietary tastes and nutritional needs, there has to be a limit on how much inventory and food offerings. Majority tastes and consensus will usually carry the day. Carnival does a much better job at catering to special diets than a lot of other cruise lines. It's always been a matter of your choice as to what you eat, so as long as they aren't eliminating veggie options or catering to special dietary needs, you shouldn't be overly concerned about new venues not offering items that few would enjoy or even try.

Some of these replies are "odd", having a true vegetarian option is not unusual, its an industry NORM. A STANDARD. You don't ever get on an airplane, or walk into restaurant (including Guys!!), or go to a banquet (eg wedding) and NOT see a vegetarian meal option.

The original poster isn't asking for some far-out, crazy extremist thing he asked for a freaking veggie burger at a burger joint. Hardly unusual or extremist.

And yes I eat cows.

It isn't near as odd as not being able to have a cigar IN A CIGAR BAR. Maybe if you all keep bitching they will take the meat out of the burger joints and we can all sit around and eat salad and tofu.

Not a chance in this world would my sister eat a veggie burger that was grilled on a grill or flipped with a spatula that had touched real beef. She is supper picky.

You probably meant SUPER picky, but "supper" works too. :p She has had utensils touch meat more times than she would ever know.

They are not doing away with the other food so salad will always be available and there is no reason you cant get a "veggie" burrito at the burrito bar. Just use the toppings without the meat. My inlaws are vegetarian and always find something to eat on the cruise.

I spoke to the chef on the Fantasy last week (during the Chef's Table) about special requests for the MDR. I was more interested in a wider selection of Indian food. He told me they can pretty much do anything with enough advance warning.

You might want to contact the Maitre'd a few days before sailing and ask if they can do a special vegetarian dish for your spouse in the MDR. BTW, if you haven't tried the Indian vegetarian option in the MDR, you are missing a real treat!

My daughter is a vegetarian. There was always something on the menu that she could order, yes it was limited. Most of the dishes were good. There is enough choices in the Lido for breakfast and lunch. Pasta was an option every day, but how much can you eat.

You are not going to get a separate menu, but you will have to adjust.

The menu did not always offer something that I would order. Yes, I had to settle for a meal that I would never order in a restaurant.

Carnival has lowered the MDR choices. I like to eat and enjoy fine dining. I will not get that on Carnival. I know that before I cruise and I am prepared. Carnival is a good value and I base my expectations realistically.

For food selection and choice, Carnival is near the bottom. For better food and dining, I go on other cruise lines noted for better food.

As the spouse of a vegetarian and a cruiser who, after five cruises in two years, was finding the food growing a bit samey and was looking forward to this new variety to give us a reason to book another cruise, I am a bit disappointed to discover that, unless they have some sort of secret menu, neither Guy's Burger Bar or The Blue Iguana offer vegetarian options.

While I'd be fine, it would be a case of same old for my wife and in order for a cruise to be new and exciting it needs to have interesting new stuff for both of us.

Couldn't believe some of the comments on John Heald's thread such as "There are veggie burgers elsewhere - no need for them at Guy's!" -- Well, yeah, but there are regular burgers elsewhere too, so by that rationale why have Guy's at all? Guy Fierri's places on land have veg burgers, why would Carnival not cater in this area?

Here is something I do when I don't want the meat in a burger. I simply order it without meat, use the condiments and add the crispy yummy fries to the bun and have what I call a fry-burger. It is delish and something different. Same at the Cantina, have a buritto without the meat and use all the veggie options.

Im a salad eater. Im happy if they have lots of nuts or seeds to throw on top. I did that for lunch every day on Oasis, best lunch on any ship .. great salads and things to put on them. Nope not a vegetarian, though I have done the Indian option, just because I like it.

I dont think every new thing added to a ship needs to cater to vegetarians.

Not vegeterian, but my husband sure is going to miss salmon every day.

That might be a good thing...unless it's wild salmon (which I do not believe is what you will get on a CCL cruise), you should not eat it every day anyway.

Do some Googling on farm raised salmon. There are guidelines about how often you should consume it....

I love salmon too....had some last night as a matter of fact (wild...I do try to stay away from farm raised for the most part)

I know it would be difficult for CCL to offer it, but a grilled Portabello mushroom burger would be freaking awesome to have on board.

CCL don't care about a minute percentage of people.They sail at 100% capacity so go sail with the other cruiseline that offers a better selection.What line would that be?

Also 3% is a joke.Even the GLT community is a higher percentage than that yet you don't see them complaining about things on the ship.

What about Kosher food?Indian,Chinese?They should have updates options all the time too?.....Don't see rovers coming to the menu anytime soon.How about Dolphin?

So what you're saying is as long as Carnival has what YOU want then to heck with everyone else.

And yes I eat cows.

----

Exactly! There is a place here in Atlanta called the Vortex. They are known for their burgers and actually were featured in the popular show "Man Vs. Food." I am a vegetarian and eat there for lunch with my co-workers frequently because they do have a delicious vegetarian burger. Many of the most famous restaurants offer vegetarian options including steak houses. It is not good business to exclude people..even though it is 3%.

I had a brother-in-law back in the day who was a vegetarian' date=' but who was extremely obnoxious and holier-than-thou about it. One Thanksgiving, he was at our house and my mom was doing all of the cooking. She had included several vegetarian dishes for him which involved considerable time and planning on her part, since she had grown up on a farm where even lettuce was fried in bacon fat.

The brother-in-law kept hovering in the kitchen demanding that she tell him every ingredient in everything she was making and then telling her which ones were unacceptable either because they weren't vegetarian or he just didn't like them (such as fried okra, breaded tomatoes, etc.). Finally she chased him out and he went out sulking and muchly aggrieved.

At dinner time, he acted like he didn't like anything she had made except for a creamed corn casserole, which he raved about. He even told her somewhat snidely "see, that wasn't so hard, was it?" My mother smiled sweetly and after he had gone, confided that she had put about half a cup of bacon fat into the creamed corn dish. :)

To me, vegetarianism is a choice, which is fine and a personal matter, but many vegetarians are so wrapped up in themselves that they fail to realize all the extra trouble and time which they're often causing other people by trying to force them into catering to their minority agendas.

Vegetarianism is by choice and its practitioners need to realize that sometimes they just need to suck it up and deal with it, or avoid situations in which they won't be catered to.[/quote']

Interesting that those against vegetarians are probably some that should be trying it. I am not a veggie but have no problem with anyone that is. It can be a heathly option. With a majority of the US population in the obese to morbidly obese category, some need to think twice about putting a few of those Guy burgers or burrittos in their mouth.

Has someone confirmed they no longer have the veggie burgers at the grill they will make for you?? Im confused why all the complaining here as if there is nothing to eat.

They dont have them out, but you just have to ask and they will make it fresh.

Most of the 2.0 changes are new bars .. one burger joint and the vegetarians are up in arms? Have a margarita.

Have some beans and tortillas at the mexican place.. not sure what they offer, but surely all this fuss over ONE of the many new things is overdone and exaggerated. I love tortillas ..

the complaints here seem to ONLY be about one of the new choices.

My niece is a fairly "new" vegetarian and I asked her about the issue of cross contamination as far as her preferences are concerned. Her response to me was:

Hmm, that’s interesting. I honestly never thought about it. I have a feeling that vegetarians who don’t eat meat for ethical reasons may have more of an issue with this than those who do it for health reasons (like me). I don’t think I would mind – I have a feeling that most places I eat veggie burgers, they are cooked on the same grill as regular burgers. As long as I’m not ingesting full blown meat, I’m okay with it. Interesting thought though!

So that's what she said. I guess if you are vegetarian because you don't want any meat to be ingested for ethical reasons, cross contamination is a bigger issue (like it would be for those who are strictly Kosher), but if it's more of a personal health choice, then it might not be a deal breaker.

She and I had lunch last week at a little cafe near our offices. She told me they make a terrific veggie burger. I have to say, it looked delicious. I don't mind veggie burgers, but usually avoid them because they have a lot of grain based filler and I try to avoid carbs when I can.

While on the Glory in August, I had the Indian vegetarian option every night out of the 5 we sailed. It was delicious.

Archived