Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

The veggie burger is currently offered on ships at the grill....as soon as those ships get the 2.0, they will no longer be offered so in a sense, there is one less veg option. It wasn't an issue to have them before so why take them away? Can anyone say for sure they were taken away because they weren't popular?

I know my veg DD will be disappointed. Sure she can find a burrito, etc but why take the veg burger away altogether?

I had a brother-in-law back in the day who was a vegetarian, but who was extremely obnoxious and holier-than-thou about it. One Thanksgiving, he was at our house and my mom was doing all of the cooking. She had included several vegetarian dishes for him which involved considerable time and planning on her part, since she had grown up on a farm where even lettuce was fried in bacon fat.

The brother-in-law kept hovering in the kitchen demanding that she tell him every ingredient in everything she was making and then telling her which ones were unacceptable either because they weren't vegetarian or he just didn't like them (such as fried okra, breaded tomatoes, etc.). Finally she chased him out and he went out sulking and muchly aggrieved.

At dinner time, he acted like he didn't like anything she had made except for a creamed corn casserole, which he raved about. He even told her somewhat snidely "see, that wasn't so hard, was it?" My mother smiled sweetly and after he had gone, confided that she had put about half a cup of bacon fat into the creamed corn dish. :)

To me, vegetarianism is a choice, which is fine and a personal matter, but many vegetarians are so wrapped up in themselves that they fail to realize all the extra trouble and time which they're often causing other people by trying to force them into catering to their minority agendas.

Vegetarianism is by choice and its practitioners need to realize that sometimes they just need to suck it up and deal with it, or avoid situations in which they won't be catered to.

So those 90 people don't matter?

In the grand scheme of things? No

They have options for the very very small minority.Its the very small minority that has an issue with it.Do you see the other 2930 people complaining?

They choose to put themselves in this situation.Its no different than someone who had a drinking issue.They complain there are too many bars or too many things aimed at booze.So stay home!

All I know is that when you go to Grandma's house you eat what you are served and you avoid being self indulgent.
Uh no. At Grandma's house you eat what you want and you are polite and don't make a big deal about it.

Once went to a big Thanksgiving dinner. 3 or 4 people were vegetarians. I never noticed because they were polite and gracious.

They enjoyed all the side dishes and didn't make a fuss. Also nobody made a fuss about them not eating Tom Turkey.

Nobody accused them of being self indulgent.

Moral is look at your own plate not others.

Maybe they got tired of throwing veggieburgers away because a spatula that had flipped a meat burger touched it. There was a recent thread about people declaring contamination.

Not a chance in this world would my sister eat a veggie burger that was grilled on a grill or flipped with a spatula that had touched real beef. She is supper picky.

No.

Much like, say, the 90 disabled people or wheelchair users on board. They are just an annoying inconvenience that the majority must suffer. :rolleyes:

I'm very much a carnivore but would certainly be interested in seeing a few more vegetarian (dare I say 'healthier'?) food options while on board. :)

Was wondering about that. Both my DW and DD like veggie burgers and don't care if meat was cooked on it before,

but they are not vegetarian. Wondering how vegetarians feel about this. Would the same grill or cook top be OK?

Put me in the camp that believes it is smart to try to cater to all of your clients. Adding veggie burgers is easy.

Adding an extra grill top is not. Trying to keep it clean between meat burgers doesn't sound so hard.

Can't we all try and get along.(OK - A little over the top)

My wife wouldn't insist upon an entirely different grill, but she would expect it to be cooked on a cleaned or separate space on the grill (perhaps a corner off somewhere that's not covered in meat fat. When you fry something in fat it ceases to be vegetarian.

Most vegetarian accept that when they eat "vegetarian" fare that they haven't prepared themselves there will inevitably be some cross-contamination and the best they can do is try their best to stick to their ideals.

This diet is by choice, and I guess beliefs. How many variations of food are there when you choose only to eat veggies?

It's not just veggies, though. That's vegan and there are far, far fewer of those than there are vegetarians who will eat any sort of dairy, eggs, etc.

On 4 of the 7 nights in the MDR on my last cruise my DD ordered the off menu "Indian" dinner option, which was vegetarian. She was quite pleased with the variety. Have you tried that? She didn't eat in the MDR the other 3 nights so I can't vouch for those offerings.

My wife loves the Indian dinner option -- both the one they offer on day 1 of most cruises and the special selection you can order up; however, after five cruises in two years it gets a bit old.

I had to jump in here.

I've been a vegetarian for almost a year and half now - during that time I was also a vegan for about 4 months. And prior to becoming vegetarian, the only 'meat' I would eat was seafood; it's been about 8 or 9 years since I've had red meat.

Until about a month or so ago, my co-workers (whom I eat lunch with at least 4 times a week), had NO clue that I was vegetarian. I never made a big deal about it, I just ate what I wanted to eat and that was it. My mom, who I admittedly rarely see since we live hours apart, still has no idea that I'm a vegetarian.

That being said...on the one hand, I understand that even now being a vegetarian is still rare and that I don't think we can/should cater to every type of eater. However, on the other hand I also don't think it's right to purposely exclude a whole group of people; which is what they are doing by not having/removing the veggie burger option. And if it's true that they are taking away the veggie burgers altogether (like a couple people pointed out), they are really excluding a whole group of people.

Am I a little tired of the same old options? Yes. Will it stop me from cruising with Carnival? No.

Afterall, I have a pretty awesome local burger place that makes an AMAZING (local) veggie burger served on whole wheat rolls (or gluten free rolls if I wish) with sides of various (local) veggies and/or fries (both 'regular' and sweet potato) with local ice cream/yogurt shakes. Personally, if I'm going to eat a burger...I'd rather eat one of these than the frozen Morningstar Farms burgers they serve on the ships.

I had a brother-in-law back in the day who was a vegetarian' date=' but who was extremely obnoxious and holier-than-thou about it. [/quote']

Not all vegetarians are obnoxious and holier-than-thou and they certainly don't have a mortgage on it. Just try starting a food thread where you declare that you like your steak well-done and see how people treat your culinary preference.

I eat meat nearly every meal and am especially fond of pork and chicken. In a perfect world I think it would be nice if something didn't have to die so I could eat, but dammit it's just so tasty! Thousands of people like me, with my eating habits, live with vegetarians without being preached to on a daily basis.

When you think of vegetarians asking for some options at, let's face it, exciting new additions to Carnival, please don't think of stereotypical PETA vegetarians. It's just normal folks wanting to see something they like to eat at the new places.

Was wondering about that. Both my DW and DD like veggie burgers and don't care if meat was cooked on it before,

but they are not vegetarian. Wondering how vegetarians feel about this. Would the same grill or cook top be OK?

Put me in the camp that believes it is smart to try to cater to all of your clients. Adding veggie burgers is easy.

Adding an extra grill top is not. Trying to keep it clean between meat burgers doesn't sound so hard.

Can't we all try and get along.(OK - A little over the top)

Agree!!!

Exactly! Of course they matter. There may be 3000 people on board, but 90 is still quite large number of people. Get them all onto the Lido Deck at one time and people might understand how many people 3% can be. Also, you can also consider port of origin. Some ships are very likely to have significantly higher vegetarian demographics than the national average.

I know exactly how you vegetarians feel, and I sympathize, but it could be worse. Image how awful it is for me.

Personally, I'm a lobsterandprimeribeverynightatarian. I'm lucky if they have somthing for me to eat more than once on the whole cruise.

We must stop the discrimination!

Much ado about nothing:

• Unlike

• 373554_144285012280735_879314530_q.jpg

John Heald I am glad you found the answer as I wasnt ignoring you and my thanks to others for helping you. Althopugh Guy does not provide a vegie burger we still have that option and other vegetarian dishes throughout the Lido Jennifer. Thanks again and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know. cheers

Much ado about nothing:

• Unlike

• 373554_144285012280735_879314530_q.jpg

John Heald I am glad you found the answer as I wasnt ignoring you and my thanks to others for helping you. Althopugh Guy does not provide a vegie burger we still have that option and other vegetarian dishes throughout the Lido Jennifer. Thanks again and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know. cheers

That man clearly isn't on friendly terms with a salad, let alone a veggie burger.

Archived