Has anyone stayed in cabin 8168 on Serenade of the Seas?

BOS103

The walk really is not that bad, unless you are mobility challenged. The large balcony is very nice but the thing we like even more about aft cabins is that you don't have people walking by at all hours of day and night. Being at the end of the hall like that, there will be only a few people that will walk by.

I had a 7th floor AFT balcony on the Serenade last year. I didn't think the walk was bad at all (I have no mobility issues). The Serenade is not a large ship so the walk is not as long as it would be on the larger class of ships.

I will say that I didn't think the AFT balcony's lived up to all the hype though.

Yes, the balcony was bigger but it was covered and always in the shade so no sitting in the sun if that's what you want.

There also was very little breeze so it got HOT.

Also, the view is limited to seeing only the wake of the ship.

I would personally take a D1 balcony on the hump (and close to the elevators/stairs) over it any day.

I never completely understand why some people insist on being by the elevators. I mean I do understand that it is a good thing, when you are going to or coming from the part of the ship near the elevators your room is near. But isn't one going to need to walk a longer distance if they are going to the other half of the ship?

I never completely understand why some people insist on being by the elevators. I mean I do understand that it is a good thing, when you are going to or coming from the part of the ship near the elevators your room is near. But isn't one going to need to walk a longer distance if they are going to the other half of the ship?

Nope! Because you are always 1/2 way there no matter what end you need to go. If your cabin completely aft or forward you might have to go the whole distance of the ship to get where you need to be!

I guess I was thinking midship between the forward and aft elevators. But indeed if you are at the end of the ship beyond the elevators there would be more walking. But to me if your room is mid ship it seems like its six of one half dozen of the other as to whether or not you are "near" an elevator. Unless of course the places you tend to frequent are near one end of the ship.

We get an aft anytime we can on the Radiance class ships. Have had them on deck 9 and 10 and love them. As others have said, the walk is not THAT far. We are not spring chickens by any means but it would not be good for someone with mobility issues.

Someone said that they got no sun. Well, that totally depends on which way the ship is going and the time of day! There have been plenty of times we had lots of sun on the balcony. It is true though that you do not get the wind back there so if you are sunbathing on the balcony, it can be quite warm. Then again, when we went to Alaska and had an aft balcony, we were able to use the balcony a lot more because we didn't have the wind.

I hope you enjoy your BIG balcony if you choose it!

We have had 3 aft cabins on the Radiance class (7172, 1102, 1100) and we have sailed with people who were in 8168. We have 8168 on the Serenade for the T/A next April.

Yes it is a bit of a walk but it is no that far. My wife has had 2 knee replacements and we recently sailed with a friend who had her hip replaced about 3 months prior to the cruise. They were in 7172 which is right below 8168. Niether of them found the walk too far. We love the view from the aft, there is almost no hall noise and we never had a problem with too little sun or it being too hot.

I try to book afts first. Try it, see if you like it.

We stayed in 8168 on Serenade a few months ago. To me, after being on the bigger class ships like Oasis, Freedom class and Voyager class, the walk to the aft on Serenade is nothing as it is a fairly small ship.

Positives about the cabin, quiet as it is in the corner and no one walks by. You only have one neighbor and the balcony is large and you get aft view and a side view.

Negatives we experienced were that the bathroom flooded and toilet overflowed. There was a smell when we first entered the cabin and we soon found out it had bathroom flooding problems. When we informed our cabin attendant he didn't seem surprised (as in this was not the first time he had heard this).

Also, the TV was very old ( not a newer flat screen like in the newer ships) and

the picture tube was basically shot. We didn't watch much TV but when we did the screen would black out often.

So hopefully they have fixed these two issues by now.

we have not been in 8168 before, but were there in 14 days. cant wait. for me the lounger on the balcony, and no one walking past is worth it.

Can you please report back on the condition of the bathroom, as the above poster stated they had plumbing issues on their cruise, and problems with the tv. Really appreciate this as we have this cabin on our January cruise! It will be our first aft! Keep it in great shape for us! THANKS!! :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

Debbie, I don't think I realized you had 8168 on the cruise we share. We had that cabin on our 2010 cruise. We had no bathroom issues at all at that time. Someone above posted about aft balconies in general being in the shade, but on 8168 we rarely found shade. It was quite a sunny balcony most of the time - so much so I couldn't stay out there as long as I wanted to as I was so hot and burning despite three layers of sunscreen.

Absoultly, we had an Aft cabin on the 10th floor and loved it. I can always use more exercise that week of the cruise and the extra balcony was worth it. It is a little difficult when you indulged in a little too much of the island spirits if you know what I mean. Go for it, you will enjoy

• 5 months later...
we have not been in 8168 before, but were there in 14 days. cant wait. for me the lounger on the balcony, and no one walking past is worth it.

How was 8168? We just booked it for a cruise next year. :)

Just off the JW this week and had 8168.........

The balcony was nice..........2 loungers,2 chairs and a 1 table...........my friends in a JS didnt even have one lounger...

The walk was not bad at all..........esp when you compare it to a Freedom or Oasis class ship.

You walk all the way to the aft,then turn right.........you are the only cabin in that hall..........No one walks past your door at all.......

I did find the cabin itself kinda tight for 2 friends,with separate beds....the beds are only about 5 inches apart.....for a couple with one bed,no problem..

I would take this cabin again with my husband,but not with a friend..

How was 8168? We just booked it for a cruise next year. :)

We are in this cabin the cruise before you. (9/30/2013). If i forget anything on board just bring it home with you. LOL. We always try to get the corner afts when we can. That is why we jumped on this as soon as the prices come out.

I will try to keep it clean and not break anything.

Really looking forward to this cruise. Have a great time.

We have 8168 booked on the Radiance in Alaska next year. We also have 1100 and 1602 booked for Brilliance and the Jewel.

We love the aft balconies. We were 5 cabins from the front on the Allure and that walk was much further. Also, every night when I walked past the Centrum on the Serenade in Feb (1602 then), it was very very loud. I wouldn't have been happy with a hump balcony then.

We have 8168 in 11 days time, first Med cruise of the season out of Barcelona. I booked it for the large aft balcony and now have a slight mobility problem with sciatica. Just hoping the walk is not too bad for me this time. We've had aft on Voyager class before and then enjoyed the opportunity to walk off a few calories!

Just off the JW this week and had 8168.........

The balcony was nice..........2 loungers,2 chairs and a 1 table...........my friends in a JS didnt even have one lounger...

The walk was not bad at all..........esp when you compare it to a Freedom or Oasis class ship.

You walk all the way to the aft,then turn right.........you are the only cabin in that hall..........No one walks past your door at all.......

I did find the cabin itself kinda tight for 2 friends,with separate beds....the beds are only about 5 inches apart.....for a couple with one bed,no problem..

I would take this cabin again with my husband,but not with a friend..

Kathy, how did you feel about the privacy of the balcony? Looks like the divider is at quite an angle. Not that we do anything out of the ordinary out there but.....:D

We are in this cabin the cruise before you. (9/30/2013). If i forget anything on board just bring it home with you. LOL. We always try to get the corner afts when we can. That is why we jumped on this as soon as the prices come out.

I will try to keep it clean and not break anything.

Really looking forward to this cruise. Have a great time.

Haha! Thanks, I appreciate your tending to our room before we get on! You have a wonderful time too!!

I have not, but we traveled with friends who DID stay in 8168 and they LOVED it. We were right next door in 8166 and 8164 connecting with my parents.

The balcony was huge and it was well worth the "walk". Beautiful views!!

Snap it up!

Has anyone booked cabin 8168 Aft on Serenade of the Seas? Is the walk worth it?

Oh, Yeah! Stayed twice in 8th floor aft cabins. Defininately worth the walk (especially if you back into a port like St. Maartin) The walk justifies having dessert in the MDR at night.:D