Disabled and cruised on the Inspiration!!!!!!!!!!

firerunner

Hi Starla, it was so nice to meet both you and your hubby. I agree with you about all of the food. I have not yet stepped on the scale but what ever it may say; it was all worth it. I'm loving your review, it's like reliving the cruise again.

:) Your roll call friends, Cari & Rick

It was so nice meeting you two also, wished I had not forgotten the M&G we were busy taking pic tures I think about 200 the first night and before we knew it, it was 6 and time for dinner!!!

The cruise was so much fun!

cruise23.jpg

Thank you for the picture of the Sports Bar. It is a great place to wait for the aft MDR to open. Just a quick trip down the elevator.

We've discovered that the aft MDR lobby gets to be like sardines in a can.

Ok so last two pictures for tonight. Unfortunately due to the hurricane we had to change the itinerary. No Grand Cayman, instgead Monday at Cozumel and Tuesday at Progreso.

Below is a picture of the captain Lanaro and what he REALLY does during these changes as Cruise Director Stephanie Mead tried to calm any upset passengers

cruise31.jpg

yup thats right! sipping on a coffee and watching the television!!!

cruise32.jpg

The Captain was made on the Cruise, A Camp Carnival activity, but I LOVE stuffies and wanted one..so I asked..and yes big kids could nmake one also...so we did.

Hence Captain Lanaro

Tomorrow I will post on cozumel and progreso! Nite everyone..:)

It's so good to have your specialized review. Thanks so much. DH is a bit apprehensive about his first cruise since he has to use a walker, so I'm reading as much as I can.

Kathy

Hi Kathy! I too was worried but it really wasn't that bad. A few issues (see next post) but overall it was all good. And the service was good, the Carnival Personnel went out of their way to assist me. Tell your DH to have fun!! Go slow, save His energy for things He really wants to do!

Ok Some more random thoughts and then the last of the pictures.

Due to rough seas we had to change our plans. Monday we were suppose to do Cayman Islands and Tuesday Cozumel. Well it ended up being Monday in Cozumel and Tuesday in Progreso. One of the main reasons for this cruise was I wanted to swim with the stingrays. I have a 5000 gallon koi pond and a 200 gallon reef tank, had tanks all my life. Yes I like fish.

BUT, I did my research (thanks to the boards) and KNEW that Cozumel had a Stingray Excursion. So when they changed plans I went down to the Shore Excursion Desk, and within mins. had cancelled the Original Tour and Re-Booked The Everybody Loves Rays tours. Carnival did AMAZING with the change, painless and efficient! But do your research..just in case there is a change in plans!

We left the ship early that morning and I walked with my cane (none of the excursions that I looked at were wheelchair accessible) , as soon as you exit there are bikes to take you to the main area. For 5 bucks (tip) we took the bike, hence I saved my energy. Once to the main area there are signs every where, just go sit by your sign and wait.

We had 15 in our group, after a short walk, we were put into Mini Buses and taken to the shore. OMG they drive INSANE, Hold on for dear life LOL.

EveryBody Loves Rays

I CANNOT give these guys enough credit that ran this group. The water was rough and I did not have the body strenghth to swim against it and these guys, basically took me around to snorkel and be with the Rays. I held onto a buoy and a diver pulled me along as I stuck my head in the water and snapped pictures of all the amazing sea life. Yes we tipped them well and I left grinning ear to ear. (ok so I am still smiling thinking of it!) You know being sick, this was a HUGE accomplishment for me, and will be something I remember all my life. If you are disabled and want to do this..please do these guys are amazing.

We returned to the ship, and grabbed my chair, so we could go back and shop.

Problem - Getting off and On is ROUGH , really rough in your wheelchair. You disembark on the third level, and the ramp is narrow, and the incline up it and down it is sharp. If you can rise up your foot rest, this will help and be careful. Also wait until NO ONE is on the ramp, so that you do not run into them.

Again I know my chair, I feel sorry for those that rent for these ramps would be nitemare. Getting back to the ship, you cannot go thru the scanner so they pat you down, was no biggie really. Quick and Efficient.

This is how it was for both Cozumel and Progreso.

Progreso, we took a bus into town (free shuttle provided by Carnival that runs back and forth every 15 mins) and did the flea market, again I had to walk for there are no accessible transportation. After two days of walking I felt like I was dying and I am still trying to recover LOL But it was worth it!

Entertainment - We loved the shows!!! Get there early if you are disabled so you can get a seat and not be over ran! We got to each show about 30 mins before show time and only once did we have to have a carnival staff move someone out of the disabled seating so we could sit there.

Love the shows, Loved the Comedian, however He drops alot of the f word and if your uptight and easily offended then dont go. If you want a good laugh GO! LOL

OK another complaint - The Love game, Learning to Dance, Liar Liar all those show that have passengers participation......not accessible. 90% of them are done on the stage be it in the Lounges or on the stage at the Lido Deck, and the stages are not accessible. So if you like to participate (like me) then its a no go. All you can do is sit and watch.

The Stage on the Lido Deck, Hubby and I so wanted to play Chess, again not accessible.

Beds - Well you know, I have a top of the line box spring and mattress, my body aches enough due to illness, I am not going to add to it with a crappy mattress, so that being said..the beds were just ok. You can feel the *hump* were the two meet, so no real *spooning* in the middle of the bed with your spouse.

Disembarking --

We did self disembark BUT if you are NOT a USA Citizen, then you are not getting off the ship till 9ish or so. I am Canadian (with a green card) Hubby is a US Citizen. I had to do immigration, and they announce over and over that you cannot self disembark until 9:15 if you are not a citizen.

Getting off was easy and again, I was put ahead of everyone.

This was our first cruise, and I was a little worried about it. So few reviews done by disabled people. But overall Carnival and their staff did an AMAZING job. Yes there were some obstacles, but sheesh anyone in a wheelchair all the time, knows that and we learn to work around them. And nothing could not be over come.

Even the few complaints we had were more observations and not *OMG it ruined my cruise*. Hubby and I are pretty easy going, and we adapt to change easily, have to be when you are chronically ill!

So it was good all good and we are booking our second cruise next year on Carnival Paradise. This time we are taking the kids and their spouse!!!

I will add a few more pictures, and if you have any questions, just ask..:)

Firerunner - thank you for your review on this perspective of cruising. Although not disabled myself nor planning to travel with someone who has mobility issues in the near future I am certain this review will be very helpful for others who might be leery of taking a cruise due to various health issues. I am sure this review will help many other soon-to-be travelers!

Thanks for posting the review. Glad you had a nice trip. I'm wondering if you could give a bit more information about your disembark experience.

I'm cruising out of Tampa Nov 27, and I too am Canadian with a greencard and all of the reviews I've been reading say that those that aren't citizens are called to a lounge very early in the morning and then have to leave the ship immediately. In your experience, did they just call everyone later in the morning?

We have a flight at 11:30 a.m. (booked before we knew how customs worked for non-citzens in Tampa) so of course we don't want to miss our flight!

Thank you for your review.

My husband will be using a Luggie Scooter on our next cruise. He tried his hardest on our 1st cruise to go without but we missed so many venues on board because he just could not walk due to pain in his legs.

We are fortunate that the scooter collapses down to the size of a folder stroller.

We will have 2 tenders on our next cruise and plan on folding it up until we get to the pier.

I am hoping that on our next cruise he will be able to enjoy everything we missed on the first.

pr57383img23sma.jpg

pr57383img31sma.jpg

Thanks for posting the review. Glad you had a nice trip. I'm wondering if you could give a bit more information about your disembark experience.

I'm cruising out of Tampa Nov 27, and I too am Canadian with a greencard and all of the reviews I've been reading say that those that aren't citizens are called to a lounge very early in the morning and then have to leave the ship immediately. In your experience, did they just call everyone later in the morning?

We have a flight at 11:30 a.m. (booked before we knew how customs worked for non-citzens in Tampa) so of course we don't want to miss our flight!

Hi!! On the disembark information they set on the bed, it will tell you about immigrants. We had to meet at 6:45 in the morning in the rock and roll lounge. People that were late, were called over the PA system, over and over again until finally the CD said on the PA, if these people did NOT show up for the immigration process at the lounge then they will be detained by immigration.

hence it is important to be there ON TIME. ( we used a wake up call at 6 am for this but hubby didn't sleep well He was worried we would be late) try to be the first in line. Even though we got there early we had about 20 people before us.

We went to the lounge and were called in one by one, to see an immigration officer. We had to have out our passports (and green cards), sign and sail cards and Customs form ready with a break down of items we were bringing (booze smokes jewellery etc). They looked it over stamped everything and sent us on our way.

Total time about 30 mins.

On our disembark information and our CD also announced that NO ONE can leave the ship until all immigrants are counted for (not processed just marked off the Master list --- as in the lounge waiting to see immigration) and then it also stated no immigrants can leave the ship until all immigrants have gone thru the immigration process. For us it took until about 9 AM before we could leave.

When we left we had to show the stamped passport, green card for me and the stamped custom form to immigration again on the way out. this was a mere minutes and we were done.

We live in florida (about 50 mins north of tampa) and we were home by 10 AM so I would think you should have no problems.

have a great cruise!!!!

My husband will be using a Luggie Scooter on our next cruise. He tried his hardest on our 1st cruise to go without but we missed so many venues on board because he just could not walk due to pain in his legs.

We are fortunate that the scooter collapses down to the size of a folder stroller.

We will have 2 tenders on our next cruise and plan on folding it up until we get to the pier.

I am hoping that on our next cruise he will be able to enjoy everything we missed on the first.

pr57383img23sma.jpg

pr57383img31sma.jpg

Love that Luggie! Great idea! I had a scooter I rented for our RCL cruise that broke apart so se could get it in & out of the car.

I would love to use a scooter on cruises but I need the excercise!

Hi!! On the disembark information they set on the bed, it will tell you about immigrants. We had to meet at 6:45 in the morning in the rock and roll lounge. People that were late, were called over the PA system, over and over again until finally the CD said on the PA, if these people did NOT show up for the immigration process at the lounge then they will be detained by immigration.

hence it is important to be there ON TIME. ( we used a wake up call at 6 am for this but hubby didn't sleep well He was worried we would be late) try to be the first in line. Even though we got there early we had about 20 people before us.

We went to the lounge and were called in one by one, to see an immigration officer. We had to have out our passports (and green cards), sign and sail cards and Customs form ready with a break down of items we were bringing (booze smokes jewellery etc). They looked it over stamped everything and sent us on our way.

Total time about 30 mins.

On our disembark information and our CD also announced that NO ONE can leave the ship until all immigrants are counted for (not processed just marked off the Master list --- as in the lounge waiting to see immigration) and then it also stated no immigrants can leave the ship until all immigrants have gone thru the immigration process. For us it took until about 9 AM before we could leave.

When we left we had to show the stamped passport, green card for me and the stamped custom form to immigration again on the way out. this was a mere minutes and we were done.

We live in florida (about 50 mins north of tampa) and we were home by 10 AM so I would think you should have no problems.

have a great cruise!!!!

Thank you so much, this info is very helpful! So when they were finished processing you, were you free to go and have breakfast and go back to your room? Or did you have to wait in the lounge until everyone was finished?

Thank you so much, this info is very helpful! So when they were finished processing you, were you free to go and have breakfast and go back to your room? Or did you have to wait in the lounge until everyone was finished?

When we finished we went back to our rooms did a double check to make sure we had everything then went up to have bagels and coffee..:)

It was easy..:)

Firerunner do you still have the Funtimes if so would you mind posting them or email them to me.

Yup I still have them, give me a couple of days to get them scanned and up,

I know we came home thursday and today is sunday but believe it or not I am still recovering, my body is screaming at me so I have been resting alot..:) However in this battle of the disease I WON! LOL For I got to go on a cruise and swim with the stingrays..:)

pr57383img23sma.jpg

pr57383img31sma.jpg

Wow! That's a really great scooter. Where did you get it?

I want to thank you for your review! So often people find so much to complain about. I'm sure that you have given many 1st time cruisers, and disabled cruisers the confidence they need to jump right into cruising! Your positive outlook is very refreshing. I can tell that it's not just because you had a great cruise, either! You seem to be a "half-full" type person! :p

Keep on encouraging other cruisers! It's such a great time when we relax with it, right? :D

-Stephanie

Archived