Disabled and cruised on the Inspiration!!!!!!!!!!

firerunner

Wow! That's a really great scooter. Where did you get it?

We bought direct from Luggie .. http://luggie-scooters.com/

There are several places that sell them used for approx $400-600 less.

My husband has something similar to PAD and uses it for getting from point A to B at his factory. Especially if he is working in bay 12 which is approx 1 mile from main entrance, LOL

We also have a hard case for travelling that it fits in. Airline wave the checked baggage fees because of it being a mobility device:D

I want to thank you for your review! So often people find so much to complain about. I'm sure that you have given many 1st time cruisers, and disabled cruisers the confidence they need to jump right into cruising! Your positive outlook is very refreshing. I can tell that it's not just because you had a great cruise, either! You seem to be a "half-full" type person! :p

Keep on encouraging other cruisers! It's such a great time when we relax with it, right? :D

-Stephanie

Thank you and glad you like the review. I would not hesitate to go on a carnival cruise again

and yup, relax with it...you will have a great time!

Hi Pat

I hope you booked a HC room then it really does make things easier for us mobility impaired people! quote]

What great pictures !! Thanx. :)

Actually, on the Fantasy class ships, we book a suite up on verandah. Basically they are balcony cabins, but we like it up there.

I have quite a bit of mobility. Just can't stand or walk for great lengths of time. And, yes, we DO sit in those back seats at the shows, so I have enough room for my legs. DH carrys around my special footstool, and everyone remembers him ! :D

Oh----crew is always awesome helping me out of the tenders, when we have a tender port.

I'm not sure where I got confused on Splendor. I know it was up a flight of stairs near the main pool. We were on that Swine Flu cruise, and there was alot of chaos then.

Pat

Awesome review Starla, it was very nice to meet you and your husband. I am glad you have a good time. my sister and I have a great time. It looks like we were just down the hall from you. My sister just loved the location of our room.

It's so good to have your specialized review. Thanks so much. DH is a bit apprehensive about his first cruise since he has to use a walker, so I'm reading as much as I can.

Kathy

Don't worry about the walker. My husband has used it for out last 6 cruises with no issues. He normally uses a cane but on a cruise, the distance is killer for him. He is able to get around and on and off the ship with little difficulty.

We bought direct from Luggie .. http://luggie-scooters.com/

There are several places that sell them used for approx $400-600 less.

My husband has something similar to PAD and uses it for getting from point A to B at his factory. Especially if he is working in bay 12 which is approx 1 mile from main entrance, LOL

We also have a hard case for travelling that it fits in. Airline wave the checked baggage fees because of it being a mobility device:D

Could you tell me if there is a weight limit on this paticular model?

You have my sympathies on the balance issue. I'm a "good sailor" in that it has to be bad storm conditions before I get seasick--ever--but I don't ever develop sea legs and generally spend the entire cruise walking around like I'm half lit. I stick to ballet flats and non-alcoholic beverages, too :D

• 3 weeks later...

What a terrific review Firerunner! I'm so glad you and hubby had a great time.

And yes, even though cruises are not 100% problem free most of the time, it's always quite refreshing to see people take things in stride and not writing crap like "Bye bye CCL"!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I have MS and use a motorized scooter. I am excited about our trip but nervous too. Your pics and account made me feel like I was there!

I hope the scooter can handle the incline to board!

there really was no incline to board!I have primary progressive MS and use an electric wheelchair and really had no problem.

Have fun!

What a terrific review Firerunner! I'm so glad you and hubby had a great time.

And yes, even though cruises are not 100% problem free most of the time, it's always quite refreshing to see people take things in stride and not writing crap like "Bye bye CCL"!!!

aww thank you..:) takes alot to get me upset, heck I am ill why waste my time on the small stuff.

The cruise was fabulous we booked a cruise on the paradise for oct 2012 with all our kids and I CANT WAIT!!

there really was no incline to board!I have primary progressive MS and use an electric wheelchair and really had no problem.

Have fun!

In Long Beach, there's an elevator to take you to the bridge across to the ship (skipping boarding photos), then some zig-zag paths (think Disneyland) to take you to the door of the ship, but it's not that steep, just long.

• 3 months later...

Sailed in February with a friend who is in a wheelchair and has limited mobility. She was able to get transportation into Ensenada for $5 (pp?). The regular shuttle drivers arranged it for her at the pier.

Great review! I really enjoyed it and it looked like you had a great time. I'll make sure to look out for those seats in the theatre to make sure I don't sit in the ones for the physically challenged. My husband and I like to sit at the end of the row, but I never really paid attention before.

• 1 year later...

Hi firerunner. ANy chance you can send mt any pictures you have of the ship and/or rooms, as they are lo longer showing up in this post? I can provide you wil my email address. We will be crusing in September on this ship and my husband is in a wheelchair (manual wheelchair, no ability to sit/stand, Level T2 - very independant though :)). Thank you.

We returned Thursday from our inspiration cruise and I wanted to do an indepth review. I am disabled and in a wheelchair, age 46, Husband is 50 and this was our first adventure!!

The FEW reviews I read by disabled people scared the poop out of me, hence the review.

PRE- CRUISE

This was probably the MOST disappointing part of our cruise. Since we have to bring the chair, I was unable to book ANY rooms with a shuttle service. The shuttle is not equipped to bring the chair. We then decided to splurge a little and stay at the embassy suites downtown tampa.

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

room4.jpg

room5.jpg

The rooms, furniture and over all appearance was beautiful and well kept!!!

The problems...cost 140.00 (ok not bad)

Internet 15.00 (ok we KNEW this also)

Mandatory valet parking 20.00 (we knew this)

But it is located blocks away fro9m channelside, we thought ok we can take the trolley, guess what..no access. Hence no wheelchair.

Ok we can walk, again, at least a few blocks before channelside, I was not wasting any of my precious energy on a hot walk.

Next thought was ok we can drive, well every time they bring the vehicle they want a tip and every time they park the vehicle they want a tip and then loading and unloading the chair. This can be a royal pain.

So we stayed at the motel, but they had nothing to do. The gift shop was smaller then our closet, and Trolley (The restaurant) was more like a bar. Not our scene really.

We are used to getting a nice room and being steps away from other restaurants and shops. This place is very nice but they have a HUGE foray that can maybe be better utilized for decent dining, larger gift shop etc.

They brag about a managers special, free drinks and appetizers, well drinks were ok, (if you drink) appetizers were nachos and salsa. Shrugs just ok but not a focal point AND they did have a free breakfast, but again it was YUMMY but served cafeteria style in a cafeteria like setting. Just wasnt our cup of tea, we like service we like to talk to our waitress ect...

So we stayed there went to bed and got up bright and early and headed to channelside to park!

YES PARKING WAS FREE AT Tampa Port Authority, saved us $75.00, and they again stated ONLY if you have a permit and a modified vehicle. Parking was easy and painless. We crossed the road and headed to the port! (around 11ish)

Being in my wheelchair I was bumped up the line from the moment we entered the port, I held this red signed they gave me that said Special Assistance, and I swear husband and I were twenty minutes at most, from entering to getting on the ship.

Kudos to the port authority and to carnival on a job well done!!!

Coming up day one and how I missed the meet and greet (sorry!), more pics, what is accessible and what isnt and swimming with the sting rays!!!

Eytobol8,

thank you so much for bringing this review up! My daughter (age 43) is cruising with us in November and she is in a motorized chair. (her last cruise she had a small scooter but can no longer use that)

Any way I was so happy to read this review and get a feel for the how the ship will be for her. She can walk a short ways, but also has balance issues, so may not be able to walk on the ship.

We'll be on the Legend and she and her DH have HC cabin 7303 with a huge balcony that has a lounge chair on it...so her own deck if she doesn't feel like being out and about. And the seat in the shower.

firerunner,

thank you for so much detail in your review. I saw your butterfly tattoo. Do you have lupus? That is the lupus symbol.

My daughter started with lupus 20 years ago, now has RH and degenerative disk disease with spinal stenosis, hence the problems with walking.

Thank you again!

I took my mom to a few wheelchair appts last summer ...we only had a year when she needed one off and on and then sadly lost her to unrelated issue. I can also say they were helpful at Disney Cruise lines taking my niece on her "12 year old trip" for a week in Alaska on the Wonder last June...only one trip proved very NOT doable but one they thought would be hardest they really got helped with. It is soo nice to hear of your Carnival reports and your smiles in the water..I can't wait to do rays...have not been with them and it was the first thing i saw floating quite in from of me opening my eyes on my very first ocean snorkel of my life in Maui...soo glad to hear of your news and thanks for sharing for other folks..especially your smiles in the water..help in the water is the very very very best and most freeing thing with any pain and movement and illness issues..if we can be helped and guarded so to speak..being on the water on a boat and on a ship and then in the water is the very very very best IMHO..reminding us of the freedom there can be, thanks sooo much for the realistic and good review..i love Fantasy class..i like the size...Sarah

Archived