Choice of balcony cabins on "Brilliance of the Seas"

grayjay

I'm a bit confused when trying to choose a cabin on the "Brilliance otS." because I can't seem to find many differences between the categories E and D. Usually the location is important, but looking at the deck plans there are ( for example) E 3,2 and 1 right next to each other. Same goes for the D categories.Are there any drawbacks because of this? The "Ds" seem to be a bit bigger, but are there other amenities as in the Concierge or Aqua class cabins with Celebrity?

So can you please help to find a nice cabin? Which ones are advisable? Is the view from the hump better or is there a noise issue there, for example? What about the aft cabins - are they recommendable or is the view obstructed on some decks? I won't book a cabin under or over a noisy deck for sure, that leave decks 7-9 to choose from, I think.

There are lots of cabins still open, so there's lots of choice and lots to think about!!

Thank you all very much for your help.

The only E cabin we like on that class of ship is 7092 - great balcony and no obstruction. We try to get that one, and if it's not available we try to get one of the D cabins directly above it. We prefer the elevator side to the hump side of this class of ship.

I'm a bit confused when trying to choose a cabin on the "Brilliance otS." because I can't seem to find many differences between the categories E and D. Usually the location is important, but looking at the deck plans there are ( for example) E 3,2 and 1 right next to each other. Same goes for the D categories.Are there any drawbacks because of this? The "Ds" seem to be a bit bigger, but are there other amenities as in the Concierge or Aqua class cabins with Celebrity?

So can you please help to find a nice cabin? Which ones are advisable? Is the view from the hump better or is there a noise issue there, for example? What about the aft cabins - are they recommendable or is the view obstructed on some decks? I won't book a cabin under or over a noisy deck for sure, that leave decks 7-9 to choose from, I think.

There are lots of cabins still open, so there's lots of choice and lots to think about!!

Thank you all very much for your help.

There are some balcony cabins with extra large balconies on port side, on either side of the elevators (etc on deck 8, cabins 8086 8088 8102 8104). From what I've read of these balconies, they can be a bit darker as they are so long, but are a fantastic size, and don't think the operation of the elevators causes sound issues.

There are also some balcony cabins with larger balconies on starboard side at the start/end of the hump (etc on deck 8, cabins 8586 8588 8602 8604).

On some ships, the aft cabins do get soot blown on to their balcony, and cleaning water from the windjammer above. Not sure if this applies to Radiance Class, but worth checking out if you are considering one of these cabins.

With many of the balcony cabins on deck 7, I don't think you can see straight down to the water as you lookout over the lifeboat covers. There are some balconies at the front of deck 7 with larger balconies, but with some of these, the balcony divider is shorter than the length of the balcony, meaning there is a portion of the balcony that is only divided from your neighbour's balcony, by a railing.

Hope this helps :)

It would be helpful if you have specific questions about a few cabin #'s.

Sometimes, there doesn't seem to be a reason for a category difference when the cabins are near each other. For ex. on Brilliance, cabins near the elevators with larger balconies may be E1s, while ones next door (regular balcony) are E2s. A different deck may change the category, for ex. if the cabin is in the same place, just one deck down. If a cabin holds two people, it's an E2, while the one next door which is connecting, or higher-occupancy is an E1. etc.

So if you tell us specific cabins you will get more accurate answers.

Aft Cabins/Balconies on Radiance Class are the BOMB! This is 1604 on deck 10. Perfect location and view. No issues with soot. Once in the morning some water from washing above us, but the actual washing was done by the time we were up and the water of course dried :)

web.jpg?ver=13056519310001

No D or E catagory cabin gets concierge lounge access....you have to book a GS or larger for that "perk'.

Being near the elevator is a plus.

Side doesn't matter.

On Radiance class, the aft cabins have no obstruction to look thru, like the Voyager/Freedom class do.

Alll D cabins are larger than all E cabins. There is a full sofa in D's and a love seat in E's. If either catagory is a connecting cabin, the seating space will be smaller due to the door in the wall. Some D2's are for two people only. And those aft cabin balconies are lovely; no soot on Radiance class ships.

Thank you all - you have been very helpful! Ir seems to me that the price of a cabin with RCL seems to change ( as suggested by Marci22) according to the number of people that can be squeezed in ;).

I think we (there's only two of us) will be happy with an aft cabin or one of those cabins midships or on the hump. At the moment I'm considering 8172 or 8670 (cat.D2, aft) or 9588 , 9594 (D1) or 8588 ( cat. E) because there seems to be a bigger balcony .

Any ideas on those cabins?? Thank you again for your answers!

If those "aft" cabins you refer to are the ones facing the aft of the ship, grab one. The view is spectacular and the balconies very large. It is a long walk, but unless you have mobility issues, it is really no problem at all.

The Radiance class ships added diesel engines a few years ago for use in port (otherwise they burn "clean" fuel). We noticed a few specks of soot in 1100, the corner aft JS, but not very much.

On Radiance class, my choice is always a cabin on the stern of the ship. The balconies are large enough for a full lounge chair instead of just 2 chairs and a little table, and the wake view is just mesmerizing. And, because the balcony cabins only sleep 2 passengers, they are categorized as D-2 instead of D-1, even though they are prime real estate.

Thank you all - you have been very helpful! Ir seems to me that the price of a cabin with RCL seems to change ( as suggested by Marci22) according to the number of people that can be squeezed in ;).

I think we (there's only two of us) will be happy with an aft cabin or one of those cabins midships or on the hump. At the moment I'm considering 8172 or 8670 (cat.D2, aft) or 9588 , 9594 (D1) or 8588 ( cat. E) because there seems to be a bigger balcony .

Any ideas on those cabins?? Thank you again for your answers!

We had 9576 (I believe it was a D2) in September. It was a GREAT cabin! The balcony wasn't huge, but much bigger than a normal balcony. It had a lounge chair, 2 chairs and a small table. There was still room to walk around. It's the cabin right before the full hump cabin....so the balcony was sort of triangular. The cabin was very quiet too. It was near the library, and near the elevators. I wouldn't hesitate to grab that cabin again! Good luck with your choice! It was a great ship and a great cruise!

grayjay, I would suggest having a look at Cat D2 #9256 (aft), click on this link and scroll down to post 124 for a great large photo of the aft (Radiance class ship) that shows stateroom numbers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575048&page=7 I've had JS 1100 and would take either of these in a heartbeat! :)

Archived