Recommendations for sun hats

Pearl64

We will be in Egypt and Israel next April while on Riviera's maiden voyage. I know we need to wear sunscreen and a hat. My question is what type of hat is best and are there particular brands that would be preferred? My husband will probably never wear this hat again (even though he probably should) so I don't want to spend too much on this. I have found the Tilley hats but they are rather pricey. Does anyone have a suggestion for a less expensive hat? I know you probably can buy them there but I want to make certain I have one. I don't think a straw one would pack very well. I probably should have one as well. Another question is the plugs that are needed for Egypt. Since we will be off the ship the one night, I want to be certain we can charge the camera. I am assuming the Mena House has hair dryers.

Thanks.

Pearl

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My husband wore his golf cap and I have a foldable strawish hat which was fine. We use standard 30+ blockout and although I am red-headed I had no trouble with sunburn anywhere in Europe or Egypt. The sun is much more toxic here in Australia because of the hole in the ozone layer, and even here the 30+ is fine as long as you put it on properly.

My husband wears a hat he probably got at Walmart. It's the kind that has a small brim all the way around, to protect the tops of his ears, and is cotton or blend. I had a crushable straw hat from "Sunday Afternoons." It is made in Oregon and I don't know of its overall availability.

If you want to see a range of types of sun hats, you can go to backcountry.com. Select "mens' clothing" then "hats", then "sun hats-rain hats-safari hats". All types of brims and material to choose from. I have one of the Outdoor Research Helios Sun hats. Packable, mid-size brim, and comfortable. I use it here at home now when I'm hiking.

My wife had a Tilley and loved it - until she lost it. Excellent quality but worth it. However, it was rather heavy - you might be better off with cheaper one that's lighter and it won't hurt you as much if you lose it!

We will be in Egypt and Israel next April while on Riviera's maiden voyage. I know we need to wear sunscreen and a hat. My question is what type of hat is best and are there particular brands that would be preferred? My husband will probably never wear this hat again (even though he probably should) so I don't want to spend too much on this. I have found the Tilley hats but they are rather pricey. Does anyone have a suggestion for a less expensive hat? I know you probably can buy them there but I want to make certain I have one. I don't think a straw one would pack very well. I probably should have one as well. Another question is the plugs that are needed for Egypt. Since we will be off the ship the one night, I want to be certain we can charge the camera. I am assuming the Mena House has hair dryers.

Thanks.

Pearl

As far as hats go, you don't really need anything more than what you might wear on a summer's day at the beach. Last June, in very hot weather in Egypt, I wore a light green/beige military style cap (like Ryan Moore, the golfer wears) and my wife bought a stylish grey and black brimmed straw hat ($15) at WalMart that she threw away before coming home.

You do need a hat and sunscreen and I would recommend small neckerchiefs tied around your necks if you are walking a lot.

The plug you need is the same 2-prong round-pronged adapter that you would use in Europe, and yes, the Mena House has hair dryers.

Archived