Patisserie vs International Cafe

OPSnorkeler

We have been on three Princess ships that have had the International Cafe. In February we will be on the Island Princess for a 10-day Panama cruise. and I notice that there is a Patisserie and no International Cafe. I would appreciate it if someone who has experienced both would let me know what the differences are and what we should look forward to at the Patisserie.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I myself have never been on the Island Princess but will be in January for the 10 day Panama Cruise.

I have also been trying to find out just how different the Patisserie is from the International Cafe. I have established that the IC is by far better than the Patisserie. Here are a few links that I found answering a few questions and a photo of the Patisserie.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21135081

Patisserie, Island Princess

Connie

There is no comparison. International Cafe is way better. The Patisserie, as I remember it, has only sweets. A downside to the Island. They didn't have one on the Ocean Princess either but i did not expect it on a small ship.

The Patissiere is primarily a coffee place. It has a small case of breakfast foods or snacks through out the day but it is a very small case/container and you help yourself. For example - in the morning there may be a row of donuts, a row of banana bread, a row of sweet rolls, etc.... Not a large selection but I have always found the items to be fine.

We sat at the coffee bar on the Coral and didn't even notice the "Patissierie"! :rolleyes: It really is a clear plastic dome on the bar, covering a few pastries. That said, there are so many other venues for food, we weren't looking for a snack there, just a quiet place for coffee and conversation.

We have been on three Princess ships that have had the International Cafe. In February we will be on the Island Princess for a 10-day Panama cruise. and I notice that there is a Patisserie and no International Cafe. I would appreciate it if someone who has experienced both would let me know what the differences are and what we should look forward to at the Patisserie.

When I was on the Island August/September 2011 the Patisserie is where I got my lattes.(one may also get brewed coffee here, I think) They did have a few food items out under a covered tray, but I did not pay too much attention to this as I was either going to eat or had already eaten.

So if you like special coffees this is the place to go or you can get them in the dining room as well.

The International cafe has a place where you may get specialty coffees or brewed coffee or tea. They have an assortment of food depending on the time of day.

So since I have experienced both, I would say there is no comparison, don't think there should be.

The Island is a much smaller ship then those with an I.C.

Does the Patisserie serve regular drinks. If you are waiting for a table in the adjacent anytime dining room can you get a drink while you wait?

Yes. There are actually several bars close. You will get a paging device that flashes and vibrates when your table is ready.

A fun tip: We were on the Island and the weather was not the best, so DW wanted a mocha. We went to the Patisserie while in a lock and watched the wall as the ship rose and then lowered (or maybe vice versa). Being at that level provides a whole different experience. You might even see some "artifacts" from the construction.

I did that as well during the first locks (it was EMPTY down below, nice to get away from the crowd a min). Ordered a glass of juice, grabbed a pastry and watched the walls move by VERY close to the window!

Reflection aside you can see one of the gates through the window in this photo:

Panama%20Card%2010-314-600x399.jpg

A fun tip: We were on the Island and the weather was not the best, so DW wanted a mocha. We went to the Patisserie while in a lock and watched the wall as the ship rose and then lowered (or maybe vice versa). Being at that level provides a whole different experience. You might even see some "artifacts" from the construction.

What items does the International Cafe serve ?

Ashland, if I remember right you will be sailing the Sapphire after the IC is added. I sailed on the Crown Princess in 2009 which had an IC so I'm going from memory here. In the morning there are lots of pastries, donuts, quiches, etc. In the afternoon, sandwiches including paninni's which were quite good, lot of yummy desserts ( my favorite was the cheesecake - which was much better than the ones served in the buffet area or in the main dining room) , lots of great salads - the shrimp and chicken salad were our favorites. And other choices I can't remember.

It's actually a small venue with limited seating right in the area but we really enjoyed this option. If there wasn't seating there we either took our choices up to our balcony or sat in the venue next to the IC - Vines or at a table in the atrium area.

I did that as well during the first locks (it was EMPTY down below, nice to get away from the crowd a min). Ordered a glass of juice, grabbed a pastry and watched the walls move by VERY close to the window!

Reflection aside you can see one of the gates through the window in this photo:

Panama%20Card%2010-314-600x399.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Awesome, Can't wait!:D

Archived