Any techies who have sailed on the Jewel recently....

hawkfish

We are on the Jewel in January 2012, in a GS.

Any idea what I will need to broadcast my iPod while in the cabin? Is there an iPod dock? I saw where someone mentioned plugging into the front of the tv, but does anyone know what kind of cables I would need?

Also, can anyone speak to the wireless situation onboard?

Thanks!!!

Faye

What did you want to know, specifically? Have sailed on her sister, Brilliance, and the WiFi was slow and spotty at best. VERY expensive, too. There is no WIFi in the cabin, only in specific hot spots which you can find in a brochure at the Customer Relations Desk when you board.

Even the LCD TV's (that I believe are in GS even on Jewel) I don't think are connection friendly. Such as for plugging in camcorder and playing recordings or movies from laptop (or iPod). You could try taking an RF Modulator with standard AV inputs (red, white, yellow) and just playing audio to a TV channel but I have found that access to the co-ax cable in regular cabins is iffy due to not being able to get behind the TV.

I take iPod but also take small set of dockable speakers. Actually there are really small non-dock speakers that play pretty well off the headphone/earbuds jack.

Check out (just as an example - not endorsing these): Link

We are on the Jewel in January 2012, in a GS.

Any idea what I will need to broadcast my iPod while in the cabin? Is there an iPod dock? I saw where someone mentioned plugging into the front of the tv, but does anyone know what kind of cables I would need?

Thanks!!!

Faye

LOLOLOL....I had a good laugh at that one:p...they still have the old clunky tube TV's on Jewel:eek:at least in standard cabins.

Thanks, everyone - I have RCA cables, and figured that was my best bet. I think I will also take our iHome - it's about the size of a 6" Subway sandwich, but puts out pretty good quality sound. Neither one of those things takes up that much room, so I might as well bring them along.

We were on the Allure last January and our JS had an alarm clock with dock. Despite the fact that we were on one of the earliest sailings it, of course, was already broken.

As for internet, I was wondering whether there was wi-fi around the ship and/or in the cabins. On our prior sailings, we've always been pretty luckily and had a strong signal in our cabin. We have always had a hump cabin, so maybe that is near where they position the routers. Will report back after we sail.

And @Marcia - we are coming down to Tampa on the 31st and staying in Ybor. Any chance you are going to be anywhere around there for holiday? We are thinking about hitting the party at the aquarium or on the channel for the fireworks. And we should arrive just a few hours ahead of the Outback Bowl parade. We need to catch up! :D

Hooking up to the TV is not possible anymore.

When we were recently on the Radiance we had a JS with a new flat screen tv. I pulled out my cables and hooked up my ipod only to find out that they had disabled all the inputs on the TVs. A few calls later, and I talked to the head geek and he told me that they have done this fleetwide to minimize problems and cut down on service requests for people not being able to get back to watching the re-runs of the not so newlywed show.

If the GS has a stereo then the cable Sequim88 recommended should do the trick.

If you are so inclined, there is some information on the interwebs about using a universal remote to disable the TV hotel mode so you can use the the other inputs. ;)

cut down on service requests for people not being able to get back to watching the re-runs of the not so newlywed show.

Wouldn't want to miss that one more time!

If you are so inclined, there is some information on the interwebs about using a universal remote to disable the TV hotel mode so you can use the the other inputs. ;)

Duly noted. Will scout around to see what I can find.

Thanks, everyone - I have RCA cables, and figured that was my best bet. I think I will also take our iHome - it's about the size of a 6" Subway sandwich, but puts out pretty good quality sound. Neither one of those things takes up that much room, so I might as well bring them along.

We were on the Allure last January and our JS had an alarm clock with dock. Despite the fact that we were on one of the earliest sailings it, of course, was already broken.

As for internet, I was wondering whether there was wi-fi around the ship and/or in the cabins. On our prior sailings, we've always been pretty luckily and had a strong signal in our cabin. We have always had a hump cabin, so maybe that is near where they position the routers. Will report back after we sail.

And @Marcia - we are coming down to Tampa on the 31st and staying in Ybor. Any chance you are going to be anywhere around there for holiday? We are thinking about hitting the party at the aquarium or on the channel for the fireworks. And we should arrive just a few hours ahead of the Outback Bowl parade. We need to catch up! :D

The WIFI on Radiance and Serenade was all around the hump and thats it, I couldn't get anything in the cabins - once in the front and once aft, but I was able to log in in the CL (good or a bad thing, I'm not sure!!) but I will surely be checking it out in 3 weeks , FB me your cabin # and I'll check it out :)

Channel side is really nice so if you are around Sun 1/1 I might pop up there.

Archived