Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta

Rosefloater

I'm not sure if this one would be local enough but we really enjoyed it in April. It was La Chata on the Malecon. My niece and I were really lucky to get there early enough to get one of the two tables on the upper floor that had a little balcony. The view was great and we really enjoyed it. The food was really good. I will say the special priced margaritas weren't all that tasty but boy were they strong. We were a bit looped for hours.

I'm not sure if this one would be local enough but we really enjoyed it in April. It was La Chata on the Malecon. My niece and I were really lucky to get there early enough to get one of the two tables on the upper floor that had a little balcony. The view was great and we really enjoyed it. The food was really good. I will say the special priced margaritas weren't all that tasty but boy were they strong. We were a bit looped for hours.

Yes, from looking at the menu, this is the type of food we are looking for. Thank you.

Going to PV in a month. Looking for a local restaurant with good food. NOT looking for a place that caters to foreigners (i.e. Cheeky Monkey, Sea Monkey, Senor Frogs).

PV is a restaurant city (we try to eat in about 50 restaurants every year) but you need to understand that nearly every restaurant caters to foreigners since most Mexicans prefer to eat at home with their families...although quite a few locals do enjoy the traditional Mexican street food. The Cheeky Monkey and Sea Monkey (both owned by an expat from New York (hi Troy)) are popular for excellent prices and pretty decent food in its class. If you post your preference in the type of food you are seeking and your budget....a few of us here can give you advice. It would also help to know which neighborhood you would expect to be visiting when you would want to dine. Ironically, probably the most popular area restaurant with Mexican families is the Sirloin Stockade which is a typical American-style all you can eat buffet (located within walking distance from the port) which we are certain is not what you would be seeking :)

Hank

Yes, from looking at the menu, this is the type of food we are looking for. Thank you.

You are welcome. We really had a nice time here. We found the food quite tasty. But, again, if you are a margarita, tequila drinker - spend a little extra to buy a decent drink. We went with the 2 for $5 or something. The first half of the first drink was tolerable at best - but because it was mostly alcohol after that point we were pretty "lit" and found the taste just fine:eek::eek::eek:

Enjoy your time in PV. Love that city!

Going to PV in a month. Looking for a local restaurant with good food. NOT looking for a place that caters to foreigners (i.e. Cheeky Monkey, Sea Monkey, Senor Frogs).

My DH and I spend a few months every winter in PV and love all the restaurants. One that I highly recommend is the Agave Grill on Morelos (one block over from the Malecon). The service is great and so is the food. Check out their menu and see if it appeals.

Wendy

We will not get into the pros and cons of La Chata...but would point out that on TripAdvisor it is rated at 228 of 295 restaurants. Having lived in PV for the past 6 winters we have seen nothing that would cause us to challenge that rating position :)

Hank

what are some food specialties in PV? We are interested in something within walking distance from port, very casual and authentic. Ceviche or grilled seafood would be great, and maybe some sipping tequila. I love moles and complex sauces but I am thinking this would not be something as common in PV has other regions. Thanks for any ideas!

what are some food specialties in PV? We are interested in something within walking distance from port, very casual and authentic. Ceviche or grilled seafood would be great, and maybe some sipping tequila. I love moles and complex sauces but I am thinking this would not be something as common in PV has other regions. Thanks for any ideas!

Probably the best local cuisine are various preparations of fresh grilled seafood...particularly Red Snapper. There is a decent restaurant in the Old Town (South Side) of downtown called El Mole de Jovita which has an excellent reputation for its Moles. But we do not have any suggestions within walking distance of the port.

Hank

Probably the best local cuisine are various preparations of fresh grilled seafood...particularly Red Snapper. There is a decent restaurant in the Old Town (South Side) of downtown called El Mole de Jovita which has an excellent reputation for its Moles. But we do not have any suggestions within walking distance of the port.

Hank

LOVE El Mole de Jovita YUM.,, breakfast, lunch or supper it is wonderful, love the spiced coffee in the morning :)

Pipis is not a restaurant that you are going to find any locals at, my friends who live there full time say it is dead during slow season. It is popular with tourists through :) We have never tried it.

When we were at the Sea Monkey last May, it was always filled with both Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Europeans, a well known PV chef and many of my friends who live there full time, all seem to love it.......so I guess that says something........Troy knows how to operate a good place.

No Way Jose has many fans.

http://nowayjosemx.com/

Tacos Panchos is one amazing taco stand that we have to vist several times per trip as well as Marisma for amazing shrimp tacos :)

Here is a good start to your eating adventures in PV. I pulled this off of Jr's amazing website and it sure helped us over 6 years ago when we first started going down to PV. Hope you enjoy :)

http://vallartainfo.com/restaurants.html

Thank you everyone who has suggested the Cheeky Monkey or Sea Monkey. The food sounds good, but I can get that food at any U.S. chain restaurant. I am not interested in eating Italian or American food in Mexico, and to go there for only the $1 beers (great price) to me isn't worth it.

El Mole de Jovita sounds good also.

Casa Isabel is also a very good restaurant with reasonable prices...and they do serve lunch. But its not convenient for cruise ship passengers since you need a taxi to get up to the place (it overlooks the south side).

Hank

Agave Grill is closed and was never really open for lunch.

If you want typical local food, hit a taco stand :)

There is a great taco stand that sells seafood tacos. Fish, shrimp or marlin plus ceviche and fried calamari over a really nice salad. It is called El Mero Mero and is behind the hSBC bank on the main road across from the Coppel Department store. (A block inland) El Mero Mero is owned by the family that owns Le Kliff.

My favorite lunch restaurant on the beach is El Baracuda. A block south of the Buenaventura Grand hotel in centro area. It is on the beach- great fish tacos, molcajetes, seafood and arrachera. Reasonable and great views and yummy food! The Peruvian ceviche is great- so are the baja fish tacos!

LOVE El Mole de Jovita YUM.,, breakfast, lunch or supper it is wonderful, love the spiced coffee in the morning :)

Pipis is not a restaurant that you are going to find any locals at, my friends who live there full time say it is dead during slow season. It is popular with tourists through :) We have never tried it.

When we were at the Sea Monkey last May, it was always filled with both Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Europeans, a well known PV chef and many of my friends who live there full time, all seem to love it.......so I guess that says something........Troy knows how to operate a good place.

No Way Jose has many fans.

http://nowayjosemx.com/

Tacos Panchos is one amazing taco stand that we have to vist several times per trip as well as Marisma for amazing shrimp tacos :)

Here is a good start to your eating adventures in PV. I pulled this off of Jr's amazing website and it sure helped us over 6 years ago when we first started going down to PV. Hope you enjoy :)

http://vallartainfo.com/restaurants.html

Quincy

I have all of these choices on my restaurant list for February and El mole de jovita is one I am really looking forward too!! Love Mole dishes!!

Quincy

I have all of these choices on my restaurant list for February and El mole de jovita is one I am really looking forward too!! Love Mole dishes!!

El Mole's owner mother is the cook there and their mole recipes have been handed down through the generations.....So good :)

You are going to love them all :)

PV is truly a foodies mecca. I wish I was there now. Nice snow storm we had for our sail away out of NYC on Oct 29th. Captain had to delay sailaway till Sunday morning.Did you lose power?

Thank you everyone who has suggested the Cheeky Monkey or Sea Monkey. The food sounds good, but I can get that food at any U.S. chain restaurant. I am not interested in eating Italian or American food in Mexico, and to go there for only the $1 beers (great price) to me isn't worth it.

El Mole de Jovita sounds good also.

OK ... It's hard for us to give you a list of restaurants that have "authentic" food as all food is local. If you want complex sauces and are into moles ... you might consider Si Señor . They have a facebook page and can be found with a basi google search. I know their menu has a good representation of dishes with moles. Also ... have eaten at Fajita Banana in the Marina area http://www.fajitabanana.com/

Had a great Chicken Mole meal at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant just down the street from the Sheraton yesterday.

For a good overview of the restaurants that have been reviewed on Trip Advisor, use http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g150793-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

peabody99 ... Vallarta is a dock port. The marina is immediately north of the port. It is walkable but I would recommend bus or taxi. We have walked by the restaurant that you linked to but not eaten there. It is commonly frequented by locals and people that have boats in the marina itself. Not a bad thing, just not on the water itself.

One of the number 1 restaurants for authentic regional food is El Arrayan http://virtualvallarta.com/puertovallarta/entertainment/restaurants/elarrayan.shtml and http://elarrayan.com.mx/

Enjoy!

The problem with El Arrayan (one of my personal favorites for their Duck Carnitas) is that it is not open for lunch :) Its why I did not mention it in my prior post.

Hank

Love the food there :) Those carnitas, shrimp pozole and black bean empandas are worth the flight down to PV :)

It is a little on the pricey side but incredible food....YUM

I thought the OP was staying for a month?

The problem with El Arrayan (one of my personal favorites for their Duck Carnitas) is that it is not open for lunch :) Its why I did not mention it in my prior post.

Hank

You're right Hank, but neither Rosefloater or peabody99 said that it had to be a lunch spot. Just giving them options.

Hank

El Arrayan DOES sound good. The duck carnitas is making my mouth water.

I thought the OP was staying for a month?

No. I said I was going there in a month. Now 3 weeks.:D Right now we are leaning towards El Mole de Jovita.

For a good overview of the restaurants that have been reviewed on Trip Advisor, use http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g150793-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

I have looked at Trip Advisor. The only problem with it, is that there are too many restaurants on the list.

El Mole's owner mother is the cook there and their mole recipes have been handed down through the generations.....So good :)

You are going to love them all :)

PV is truly a foodies mecca. I wish I was there now. Nice snow storm we had for our sail away out of NYC on Oct 29th. Captain had to delay sailaway till Sunday morning.Did you lose power?

Oh that is right I forgot you had that cruise lol...What a freak storm that was!! We have high 50's now that was a fluke!! I did not lose power thanks for asking not too bad by us similar to what you saw..

My friend is in PV now and he says I will love it...N4S from TA...I have to get squared away still but airfare still a bit high for 4 of us...Can't wait though...

Archived