The New Tipping Rate ...it appears Carnival has there own tipping concept

bzpilot

This is not just limited to Carnival, it's the entire hospitality/service industry. Most tipped employees are paid less by the employer because they receive tips. As has been stated this is acknowledged in the way wage and hour laws are written (and there are exceptions of course). And while cruise lines are subject to the wage and hour laws as a rule they all handle the compensation for their crew members in very similar ways. I know someone who works as a bellhop at a resort hotel and he pulls in $50k a year or more in tips. Can you imagine the hotel paying him $24 an hour when there are no customers and what that would do to the hotel's rates?

One thing that I learned in all of my travels in the Navy was the importance of learning the local customs and observing them, especially when it comes to things like tipping. Tipping customs vary greatly from place to place as evidenced by the Spirit in Australia.

First, how a company chooses to pay their employees does not change the idea behind a gratuity. They can pay their employees a penny or a billion dollars, a tip is designed to reward service above and beyond the basic one required for their job.

Second, thank you for your service and I'm glad that you traveled while in the Navy but I LIVE in Europe part of the year. I am FULLY aware of the local customs.

First, how a company chooses to pay their employees does not change the idea behind a gratuity. They can pay their employees a penny or a billion dollars, a tip is designed to reward service above and beyond the basic one required for their job.

Second, thank you for your service and I'm glad that you traveled while in the Navy but I LIVE in Europe part of the year. I am FULLY aware of the local customs.

And I am GLAD that you are;).

Spirit cruises out of Australia are also 3 X more expensive .. they just built in the tips.

Im sure they are giving the people their tips, just in a different way.

Actually they aren't. They are being paid a salary by their employer. People on board can still tip if they see fit to do so.

The problem I believe comes from the understanding of what a tip is designed for. Just doing your job is not deserving of a tip. Going above and beyond your job is. So for example, if an Australian has a crazy request for their steward like they want apple green sheets and the steward goes on shore and finds some, they will tip them.

The issue that everyone has a problem with is that in many places the wages are lower for people in the service industry because companies know that we pay tips. The company can pay less and keep overhead low. None of that changes what a tip is supposed to represent. I don't have a problem paying more in fares to cover the "tip" but it's annoying to me (someone who gets tips based on a customers opinion of my service vs. a societal expectation.) to have people try to say it's a tip when in reality it's a wage supplement because Carnival doesn't want to pay their employes more.

Tips are different in all parts of the world.

In the US, it is a big part of the service industry

In Europe, tipping is much less in most countries, but there is also VAT. This adds close to 10% on everything you purchase and it is not identified or posted anywhere. Talk about "hidden" charges.

Whether you want to tip or not is up to the individual, though it appears that the Carnival threads are the most against tipping in general.

CCL did a poor job in announcing the breakdown of the tips - they would been better to follow other lines and just give an amount.

Whether it is a tip, service charge or in the fare does make a difference. Only the tip amount can be adjusted, the others would be manatory.

For those who complain about paying tips, if CCL makes it a service charge, you will be paying it. No longer can you stiff the staff.

CCL follows the customs os the US. If you cruise from another country's cruiselines, they will have other customs.

When I visit another country, I respect their customs and don't try to force my customs on them.

Tips are different in all parts of the world.

In the US, it is a big part of the service industry

In Europe, tipping is much less in most countries, but there is also VAT. This adds close to 10% on everything you purchase and it is not identified or posted anywhere. Talk about "hidden" charges.

Whether you want to tip or not is up to the individual, though it appears that the Carnival threads are the most against tipping in general.

CCL did a poor job in announcing the breakdown of the tips - they would been better to follow other lines and just give an amount.

Whether it is a tip, service charge or in the fare does make a difference. Only the tip amount can be adjusted, the others would be manatory.

For those who complain about paying tips, if CCL makes it a service charge, you will be paying it. No longer can you stiff the staff.

CCL follows the customs os the US. If you cruise from another country's cruiselines, they will have other customs.

When I visit another country, I respect their customs and don't try to force my customs on them.

It's posts like this that point out what I'm saying. To me personally it's NOT about about paying the fee the problem is that it's a fee NOT A TIP. There is a difference.

It's usally the people that don't earn tips that think it's all the same. People that understand the difference usually have worked for tips. You see it as money being paid because someone is there doing their job. I see it as something that is EARNED for doing more then their job. I really don't understand how to explain this in a more simplified way. I don't give out tips, people earn their tips.

If you go to a restaurant, you are prepared to tip the server. The amount will depend on the service, but you will tip (we are assuming good or better service).

The servers "job" is to serve you and he/she will be tipped.

No agruements on this.

This is the same concept as the servers on a cruise ship.

Unless you stiff the waiters at the restaurants, why do you want to stiff the servers on a cruise ship?

This is customary in the US service industry.

Originally Posted by LHP viewpost.gif

Here in lies the problem....

Cruise lines use the term GRATUITY. But we all know that this is NOT a tip. This is their SALARY...

And even the most inept worker still gets their SALARY at any job in the United States.

Even the most inept wait staff in the US still get that $2.83 an hour....

And since we all know this is their salary and NOT a traditional "tip" .... it is a matter of principle that these should not be removed.

Because no one with an ounce of principle would expect another human being to work for free....regardless of the level of service.

*LIKE*

It's posts like this that point out what I'm saying. To me personally it's NOT about about paying the fee the problem is that it's a fee NOT A TIP. There is a difference.

It's usally the people that don't earn tips that think it's all the same. People that understand the difference usually have worked for tips. You see it as money being paid because someone is there doing their job. I see it as something that is EARNED for doing more then their job. I really don't understand how to explain this in a more simplified way. I don't give out tips, people earn their tips.

I believe we all "get it". You only give tips for over and above the service they give you. Others like me tip for "great" service, less or maybe none for bad service and sometimes more for exceptional service. And some don't tip at all regardless of the type of service they receive.

Well your assumption was wrong as usual......it's common knowledge they all get a base salary, room and board, food, and medical......as far as their whole job description.....sorry I'm not privy to this....but I would assume it is just not for showing up:rolleyes:

The tip that I give them is for great service.....

Frankly I believe anyone can believe anything when they take posts completely out of context or put words in their mouth to suit their own agenda.......

The bolded portion might not earn you the "most classy poster" award this year.

But please explain what you meant when you posted "the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us."

I appreciate that you said in your last response that you don't know their whole job description, but surely as a member with nearly a thousand posts you must be able to think of a few things these crew members do to earn their salary. As their full-time job is providing service to passengers, I'm looking forward to understanding the distinction you think exists between their salary-paid responsibilites (which you think are paid for out of the cruise fare) and their "service" responsibilities (which you think are paid for out of the so-called "tips").

The bolded portion might not earn you the "most classy poster" award this year.

But please explain what you meant when you posted "the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us."

I appreciate that you said in your last response that you don't know their whole job description, but surely as a member with nearly a thousand posts you must be able to think of a few things these crew members do to earn their salary. As their full-time job is providing service to passengers, I'm looking forward to understanding the distinction you think exists between their salary-paid responsibilites (which you think are paid for out of the cruise fare) and their "service" responsibilities (which you think are paid for out of the so-called "tips").

I thought I already told you I don't know their total job description and responsibilities. I said they are paid a base salary which comes from us as conumers when we purchase the cruise.......Tips are paid by choice from the consumer for their service, whether it is above and beyond, great, so so....it is the consumers choice as they are not mandatory..........

Now if you are that interested in knowing their total job description I believe you can contact Carnival for this. As for your response to the bolded comment......well that just speaks for itself. And yes as an active member I can think of alot more things I would like to say.....but it would throw this whole thread off topic;)

I thought I already told you I don't know their total job description and responsibilities. I said they are paid a base salary which comes from us as conumers when we purchase the cruise.......Tips are paid by choice from the consumer for their service, whether it is above and beyond, great, so so....it is the consumers choice as they are not mandatory..........

Now if you are that interested in knowing their total job description I believe you can contact Carnival for this. As for your response to the bolded comment......well that just speaks for itself. And yes as an active member I can think of alot more things I would like to say.....but it would throw this whole thread off topic;)

As you know, I have no interest in knowing the whole job description of these crew. I'm just trying to understand what you mean by "the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us."

You have repeated a couple times that tips are paid by customers at their choice (or similar words). I get that part.

I also already acknowledged that you told me you don't know their job description, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to say, "I thought I already told you ..." However, if by your response you are saying that you are not aware of a single thing these staff do that is paid for out of their salary, that's fine. I'm happy to end the discussion there and we can agree to disagree on what they are compensated for doing as part of their employment agreement.

As you know, I have no interest in knowing the whole job description of these crew. I'm just trying to understand what you mean by "the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us."

You have repeated a couple times that tips are paid by customers at their choice (or similar words). I get that part.

I also already acknowledged that you told me you don't know their job description, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to say, "I thought I already told you ..." However, if by your response you are saying that you are not aware of a single thing these staff do that is paid for out of their salary, that's fine. I'm happy to end the discussion there and we can agree to disagree on what they are compensated for doing as part of their employment agreement.

Oh puleeze:rolleyes:

Was an active participant of this several days ago but have lost interest.

I think I will join the club *yawn*:D

Here are a couple of tips (no Pune intended) to keep your cruise cost down:

1. Book through ES, and watch for a price drop so you can get a credit from your higher fare.

2. Buy FCC's while on your cruise to get OBC on your next cruise.

3. Become a CCL share holder to get an OBC.

4. If your drink, bring your allowed wine allotment.

5. Limit your purchases on the ship to a strict budget. No fudging.

6. Don't be afraid to adjust your tips. If your think the service is not worth it, then lower them. If the service is better you may want to increase them.

7. Remember all alcohol drinks come with a mandatory tip. No adjustment downward is allowed. But your can increase it, but why.

8. Parking at the port is a bit pricey. Try to find an alternative parking lot, have a friend/family member drop your off and pick you up. If your are from out of town, try to find a hotel thar offers shuttle service and leave your car at the hotel. Sometimes the cost of a taxi to and from the airport is cheaper then parking at the port.

It is THEIR choice to choose that job/career. They accepted whatever rate that was offered. It is the same, I choose whatever Cruise Rate is offered or I decide not to cruise. They are free to look for other employment. So dont try & put the Guilt on me & others who choose what we spend our $$$ on. I dont choose to subsidize poor service.

I WILL NOT subsidize poor to NO service..After my recent TA...I will be more discerning where my grats go! Still will tip however.

Archived