No more opening doors between balconies

coach_anne

Hmm..Much better to party in public so RCI is liable :rolleyes:.... RCI age requirement is 21 (if sailing without a parent ) only time this doesn't apply is if they are legally married..I don't think drugs are illegal so people don't get hurt when trying to "obtain" them :D..The subject here is "policy" not legalization.

Ah no, I am saying that partying in private is a higher risk situation than partying in public where there are security measures in place. If the age is 21 then that makes my point even more valid if a group of multiple 21 year old wants to open up their balcony doors and party. If I had the cabin above or below their deck it could be a miserable experience.

I suspect what happens is that the attendant assess each request on its merits and if a family group as an example, make the request then the door is opened. But as a policy, the doors remain closed. Makes sense to me.

Peggy..........you have been cruising for many more years than most that are here on Cruise Critic.

It's sad, when I read some of the reasons given by CC members that are mature, that are acting like children to what corporate has said.

I would treat the balcony door situation, just like the alcohol situation.

If you are a old time cruiser, and want something special done........don't advertise it!

OB.........you are the classic example....someone that I like, but likes to flaunt items that would be better just left unsaid.;)

Stepping down.................

Rick

What are you talking about? I have never once posted about my methods for smuggling alcohol or my dog aboard!:eek:;) Just kidding. I've never attempted it.:p

While the people on this forum are most likely responsible cruisers, can you imagine the situation that could develop if say ten cabins of 25 year olds ordered alcohol for their rooms, opened up the balconies and partied all night long. Cruise lines can't discriminate because of age, so a blanket policy seems appropriate.

I suspect that cruise lines can set whatever age they feel like for participation in various activities. And it I am wrong about that I suspect that some lawyer on this thread will correct me.

I suspect that cruise lines can set whatever age they feel like for participation in various activities. And it I am wrong about that I suspect that some lawyer on this thread will correct me.

Determining factors: ship registration/ports/International waters.

If RCL open up the partitions they are basically saying it is OK to go out and party en masse in private.

They are?

How did you come to that conclusion?:confused:

So, if my wife and I are with another couple, and we get the partition opened up, we will invite the rest of the cruise ship to come to our balcony to party "en masse"?:eek:

Really, I do NOT think so.

They are?

How did you come to that conclusion?:confused:

So, if my wife and I are with another couple, and we get the partition opened up, we will invite the rest of the cruise ship to come to our balcony to party "en masse"?:eek:

Really, I do NOT think so.

It isn't rocket science. Opening up large areas of private space means that large numbers of people can gather. And because of the privacy of those places there is no security in place. That represents a risk.let alone the inconviencing of others who are not part of the group but will be affected by noise etc.

Policies are not made on the basis of what you might do, but rather on the possibility of what some might do. Just because you wouldn't does not mean that others will follow suite.

And if you read the examples I gave I did talk about multiple cabins, not just the two together.

Ok Here is my issue with the rule...I have 3 kids who are ages 7 and under. DH and I like balcony cabins but why would I pay for 2 connecting balcony cabins now if I can't use BOTH balconies?? It's not like DH and I would each sit on a different balcony just so we could use them both. I think this decision is purely financially motivated...take away connecting balcony cabins from families and in order to get a balcony cabin we will either A. book a suite or B. book on the Oasis class in a family balcony cabin, both of which are more expensive than 2 balcony cabins. JMHO

Ok Here is my issue with the rule...I have 3 kids who are ages 7 and under. DH and I like balcony cabins but why would I pay for 2 connecting balcony cabins now if I can't use BOTH balconies?? It's not like DH and I would each sit on a different balcony just so we could use them both. I think this decision is purely financially motivated...take away connecting balcony cabins from families and in order to get a balcony cabin we will either A. book a suite or B. book on the Oasis class in a family balcony cabin, both of which are more expensive than 2 balcony cabins. JMHO

And I think in this situation, a quiet word to the cabin attendant would most likely get them open.

And I think in this situation, a quiet word to the cabin attendant would most likely get them open.

Here is the problem..we can't take that chance KWIM. If it is really policy or even captain's decision, asking the cabin attendant can't change that. If this was only a safety based decision I could understand, but like I said, I don't think that is the case.

Here is the problem..we can't take that chance KWIM. If it is really policy or even captain's decision, asking the cabin attendant can't change that. If this was only a safety based decision I could understand, but like I said, I don't think that is the case.

Well if you can´t take that chance it´s probably the best for you to go and plan with not having the divider opened.

Not in particular to the OP, or the poster I quoted here, but I keep wondering why everybody needs to know the reasoning behind some company policy:confused: While it might be nice to know the reasoning it won´t change the policy. Why not simply accept the policies, rules etc. and live with them. For sure we can agree or disagree about the rules being in place and for sure it´s our call if we want to give a company our money if we don´t like their rules abd we are all free to tell them.

However in the end we have to make a decision about cruising with a line or not and if we chose to cruise with RCI or any other line we have to accept their rules regardless if we like them or understand them. It was our choice when buying a ticket.

Well if you can´t take that chance it´s probably the best for you to go and plan with not having the divider opened.

Not in particular to the OP, or the poster I quoted here, but I keep wondering why everybody needs to know the reasoning behind some company policy.:confused: While it might be nice to know the reasoning it won´t change the policy. Why not simply accept the policies, rules etc. and live with them. For sure we can agree or disagree about the rules being in place and for sure it´s our call if we want to give a company our money if we don´t like their rules abd we are all free to tell them.

However in the end we have to make a decision about cruising with a line or not and if we chose to cruise with RCI or any other line we have to accept their rules regardless if we like them or understand them. It was our choice when buying a ticket.

Because I think when dealing with people in general one gets a better response and compliance when providing the reasoning behind decisions that affect those people. That is especially true when the reasons may not be obvious. For example, and I realize this is not at all cruise related, if I need for someone to take a medication for a certain number of days he is far more likely to comply if I provide an explanation rather than if I just hand over a prescription and tell him to take it until it is gone. Even more to the point, when I won't provide a certain treatment because it is inappropriate, people leave far happier knowning why they did not get what they were asking for.

The short answer to your question is.... it is all about human nature. And that is especially true when people are being told that they CAN'T do, or have, something. And in the case of running a business, if you can keep customers happy by providing an explanation for decisions that you know might otherwise aggrevate them it goes a long way toward overall satisfaction and helping your profit margin.

Not in particular to the OP, or the poster I quoted here, but I keep wondering why everybody needs to know the reasoning behind some company policy:confused:

My problem is the inconsistency in enforcing their "policies".

Some ships you can open the balcony dividers. Some ships you can bring bottled water and soda, others you cannot.

What good are policies that are meaningless?

Not in particular to the OP, or the poster I quoted here, but I keep wondering why everybody needs to know the reasoning behind some company policy:confused: While it might be nice to know the reasoning it won´t change the policy. Why not simply accept the policies, rules etc. and live with them. For sure we can agree or disagree about the rules being in place and for sure it´s our call if we want to give a company our money if we don´t like their rules abd we are all free to tell them.

I didn't think you were talking just to me..so no worries. I do agree with you though. Regardless of the reason, rules are in place and should be followed. I wouldn't risk booking connecting balconies and them not be allowed to be opened, this is why we are in a family OV next cruise (which DH isn't happy with LOL). I also don't think people should ask to have an exception to the rule made for them but this is JMHO. Another reason I think it is money motivated is this: Booked FOS for Oct. and was assured we could upgrade to a JS if we wanted (my family of 5). When trying to book it I was told sorry none will hold 5. However, on RCC website it states they sleep 3-4 AND a roll away or PNP. It states you can put these into any JS EXCEPT aft..I called back to inquire and was told they used to allow this but no longer do and it just hasn't been updated on their website..HMMM wonder if this changed AFTER they built Oasis class with the family balcony for 6 people?? I am not writing off RCC because of these issues. I feel that any company will have things a person likes/dislikes and we as consumers have to decide if we are willing to support those things.

You didn't read my post above I guess. We sailed this summer with our kids (16 & 21). We had connecting balcony cabins. We asked the attendant about opening both the interior door and the balcony. She got the floor supervisor (or whatever) who had the key to open the interior door but said we could not open the balcony divider. We asked when they brought the key for the interior door again and the answer was still no. We continued to ask but finally gave up.

Maybe that some will find this important enought to go to another cruise line that allows it.

They may decide to go to another line but from what I have been reading more and more lines are going to this same policy..I believe NCL is one of them.

I think this is silly. When this first came into play (actually quite awhile ago - it was just never heavily enforced) I met with some folks at RCI including one of their Captains who advised us it is a pure safety concern. There have been injuries in the past when the latch holding it open fails (or there is no latch in place as on some ships) and the door swings shut when the ship sways.

I have seen this happen on ships. You can think it is financially motivated and I am sure they will reap rewards in some ways but also remember that some people will choose not to book balconies at all. In that case, Royal loses money over this policy.

I can see it being a safety issue as well as a "social" one.

Open six balconies and that would invite a "party" atmosphere with large gatherings that might be at all hours, disturbing other pax.

I wouldn't want to be alongside..above or below six adjoining balconies. We've been next to pax that partied at all hours on their balcony. I can't imagine what it might have been like if they had numerous balconies to party on.:eek:

Open six balconies and that would invite a "party" atmosphere with large gatherings that might be at all hours, disturbing other pax.

I wouldn't want to be alongside..above or below six adjoining balconies. We've been next to pax that partied at all hours on their balcony. I can't imagine what it might have been like if they had numerous balconies to party on.:eek:

I said the same a few pages ago but the discussion back on that was because they wouldn't party then neither would others. I would hate to be near such cabins.

We had that experience on Princess. People in four of the balcony cabins above us opened their dividers as soon as they boarded and proceeded to make a ton of noise, getting louder with each six pack consumed. Because the deck we were on had completely open balconies, there was no way to escape them other than to go inside. They quickly realized the disturbance they were creating and generally held it down, but other passengers might not be so considerate.

So I'm perfectly content with the rule (selfish, I know:)). When we travel with friends, we are almost never next door to each other. And if we were, I'd want the divider to remain shut. Sometimes I just want "us" or "me" time out there.

Archived