NCL Epic very unhappy

Barbie Sunshine

The purpose of using a travel agent is that they should be experts at what they do. If this was OP's first cruise, I would really like to know what the entire conversation was between her and the TA.

The TA was responsible for telling the OP the good and bad side of booking a GTY. I am wondering if the agent brought up the guarantee or the OP did with pricing.

Disappointments like this shouldn't happen when you use a travel agent that is a cruise expert. We know many travel agents who have never been on a cruise and really have no idea of what really goes on during a cruise. And the same goes for the reservations clerks at the cruise lines - most of them have never stepped foot on a cruise ship, as the res. desks are outsourced throughout the country.

If you use a travel agent, the first question you should ask THEM is how many cruises have they been on. If they say none - find another agent who HAS been on a few cruises. An experienced agent has been on many cruises and can tell a client exactly what to expect and why GTY's are not always the best idea - to save a few bucks you can really have a terrible cruise experience if you are stuck with the wrong cabin.

While NCL is partially wrong because they do not disclose these type of cabins, if the conversation went as the OP said with the TA - the TA is at fault for not revealing the good and bad about booking a GTY.

If this was OP's first cruise, I would really like to know what the entire conversation was between her and the TA.

The OP states this was her and her husbands 16th cruise and 4th with NCL. Not a new cruiser by any means.

I agree with the rest of your post.

I still blame the TA if this couple had never booked a GTY before. They are supposed to explain the drawbacks. However, I think what happened her is that perhaps OP was Waitlisted, based on her saying this:

Unfortunately they were sold out of traditional balconies so we couldn't get what I really thought we were getting to begin with.

She booked in Aug. for a Nov. cruise, and if the balconies were sold out, may have waitlisted her for a balcony, or only had GTY's left for the late booking. If that was the case, the TA STILL should have told her the drawbacks of the GTY category.

I do find it odd though that the OP had 16 cruises under her belt and didn't know about what can happen when the categories are sold out. But the agent was still responsible for telling her everything that can happen. In the future, I am sure the OP won't wait so long to book a cruise so this will never happen to her again. This is the one of the bad things that can happen when booking a last minute cruise - you won't have a choice of the best cabins. If that is important, book early. This is why many people book a year or more in advance.

It still shouldn't be something to cry over for 3 days - OP should be thankful that is the worst thing that she had going on in her life. Take this as a lesson learned about booking early. If she has indeed cruised 16 times, she certainly know this isn't the norm.

The OP states this was her and her husbands 16th cruise and 4th with NCL. Not a new cruiser by any means.

I agree with the rest of your post.

I still blame the TA if this couple had never booked a GTY before. They are supposed to explain the drawbacks.

But nothing is ever so bad that you need to cry about it for 3 days.

I do find it odd though that the OP had 16 cruises under her belt and didn't know about GTY's. I assumed this was her first the way I read the post.

:D yes a couple people on here have thought that this was her first.

As I said I fully agreed with your post in it's entirety. I just wanted to clarify that this was not a newbie cruiser. And even if they had never booked a GTY prior to this and the TA had not told them that he/she had booked them that way. After that many cruises it would be very difficult to claim they didn't know something was up when it took them 2 months to get a cabin assignment. So wouldn't the average experienced cruiser phone their TA and say "hey whats up with not having a cabin assignment?" Giving the opportunity to ask what this GTY was all about. Either way it still comes back to either the OP or the TA that is in the wrong.

Well, I just booked the Epic for 2013. And to make sure I got no nasty surprises, I booked an AFT balcony on 12 - I even have my cabin number - 12314. Told DH the extra money was worth the security of not getting a "cabin surprise":D At least I know the back of the ship is OK.... unless some of them aren't covered... does anyone remember if any are uncovered???? I can't remember:eek:

Well, I just booked the Epic for 2013. And to make sure I got no nasty surprises, I booked an AFT balcony on 12 - I even have my cabin number - 12314. Told DH the extra money was worth the security of not getting a "cabin surprise":D At least I know the back of the ship is OK.... unless some of them aren't covered... does anyone remember if any are uncovered???? I can't remember:eek:

Oh no, don't tell me you picked #12314... :eek:

That cabin is well known for noise issues, mainly due to it's proximity to the aft laundry chutes. They don't show on the deck plans, but you can count of a SWOOSH sound night and day. You may want to shift 2 or more cabins away (port or starboard) to buffer yourself.

Wait..oh, never mind - that cabin should be A-OK (and I can't even answer as to the covered aspect of it)!

Tom

We always book with a TA. However, we do all the homework first, and then tell them exactly which cabin we want. The booking receipt will state specifically the cabin category and cabin number, as well as any OBC, etc. It's our money. We want what we want. My assumption is that a guarantee cabin will be what's left over. If people are happy with just any cabin, more power to them!::cool:

I've booked guarantys and been perfectly happy with my cabin assignment (one was an upgrade from OV to Balcony; who wouldn't be happy?) However, even if I wasn't, no way would I cry for 3 days over it. I'd be disappointed for a bit, then pull up my big girl panties and get over it. Why would anyone ruin their own vacation :confused:

If i admitted to the world I cried three days over this, I woldn't come back either. Not saying I wouldn't have been upset but three days of crying is a bit over the top. Maybe there was something else going on with her?

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first cruise on NCL was on the Majasty. We got an oceanview gty. We were new to the cruise thing and found out that it might be an obstucted view, how bad could it be?. We had a breathtaking view of the lifeboat

Only booked a GTY once out of our past 9 cruises and it was the Majesty. Only cruise we took without our 2 children. NCL does not do quad guarantees. We had a great view of a lifeboat also on our outside GTY. It was what it is. I thought there was a chance for a better cabin since we had sailed NCL exclusively on our first 4 cruises when NCL was struggling in the 90's. We had natural light at least.

It was a gamble and I did not blame NCL. There was no crying involved either. I basically learned that being loyal to one line means nothing. Explore other lines and only book an assigned cabin at the lowest category you are comfortable with. Don't expect anything extra is the key lesson.

I have done guarantee cabins on multiple cruises, but I always consider if I will be satisfied with the worst cabin in hat category or above. If so and the gty is a good buy, I will do it. If not, I will not elect a gty cabin, even if it is a bargain. I have read enough stories from other cruisers to avoid any major disappointments. Hopefully the OP's big disappointment will make a lasting impression and she will carefully select cabins in the future.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a travel agent, an experienced agent will take the time to fully explain the cabin options, agents can offer you a much better room and deal than booking direct. Every booking I do on NCL I get a group setup and try adding more people to that sailing if I don't the customer will still get the onboard credit and benefit of my services. It is very much like buying a house you want a agent on your side looking out for you and your interests. NCL has excellent call center people but they work for the company and not for you, find a good agent and don't book guarantee cabin unless you are willing to stay in the worse cabin in that class !!!!

Let me state up front that I do believe that a good Travel Agent would *fully* explain what booking a guarantee meant. That would be doing the right thing.

But I look at this situation just like someone going to a mortgage broker (TA) and signing a contract for a mortgage that they *assumed* would be a 30 year fixed ("normal balcony"), but in fact, had they read the paperwork they agreed to and signed, they would have known that in actuality it's a 3/1 ARM with no upper limit on the interest rate ("solid metal, you need to stand up to see the ocean, balcony").

In this situation, the mortgage broker should have been very clear about the product they were getting, but it is the person agreeing to the contract that is ultimately responsible. This also means they can't get pissed off at the bank (NCL) that provided the mortgage when you agreed to the terms of said mortgage.

Be responsible for your actions and learn from your mistakes.

Just my two cents....

Everyones wondering why the OP cried for three days ~ below are some snippets from her original post in this thread. Read through, and I think it will all become clear. Certain things just affect some women a little more than others. ;)

... I've had a stressful last couple of months...

... All I could see from bed was a steel wall, not the ocean I've waited 3 months for...

... I cried for 3 days about this once we were on the ship! I couldn't sleep the first night and cried all night long...

...So instead of the relaxing vacation I had hoped for, I was just stressed...

...Ladies, if you are stressed and get your menstral cycle early, bring pads, because they are NOT available onboard.

...My husband and I have been on 16 cruises since 1999 and 4 of which are NCL, but never again! ...

I included the last snippet because it answers the other most-often-asked question on this thread.

When all is said and done, I sincerely hope the OP enjoys her next cruise, wherever, and on whichever cruise line she decides to book.

I couldn't agree more! I wouldn't have cried for three seconds over it, but there are some women who just fall apart at certain "times" ;)

I totally agree some people don't handle things as well as others. Some have major melt downs at the slightest things.

I think the first, reader's raised eyebrows part to the OP's initial post in regard to this particular subject was she states "On the scale of bad things happening on a vacation, this doesn't come close". So the OP openly admits that on a scale of bad things this would not be at the top of her own list, but yet cries for 3 days, doesn't sleep the first night because they cried all night. Oh good grief, what would ever happen if the OP did have something happen that was closer to the top of that scale. And I'd have to say after 16 cruises she is darn lucky she hasn't had.

Everyones wondering why the OP cried for three days ~ below are some snippets from her original post in this thread. Read through, and I think it will all become clear. Certain things just affect some women a little more than others. ;)

There was a good deal on a balcony w/cabin assignment (think it was a BC), but since we waited for friends to decide if they wanted to cruise with us, we didn't book it that day. I called the TA back 3 days later and all the BC's were gone....Only thing left were BA's and BX's (guarantee balconies). Since there was a few hundred dollar difference, I asked the TA about the possibility of having lifeboats in front of me on the balcony on the Dawn. Was told that the life boats weren't in front of balcony rooms on that ship. She said that I could possibly get a location near an elevator, in a noisy location, or in very front or back of ship instead of preferred middle of ship area. I agreed to book Guaranteed balcony.

I ended up getting an enclosed balcony, but thankfully on the Dawn, they have plexiglass on the bottom instead of a full metal panel from rail downward as is the case on the Epic. I wasn't thrilled to see this since this wasn't explained to me by TA, but other than feeling a bit letdown over this, won't cry over it and will surely enjoy sitting on this balcony anyway.

However, I do think it would have been nice for the TA to have been able to tell me about this possibility just as she explained that lifeboats wouldn't be in front of a balcony cabin on the Dawn.

Barbara

it doesnt make any sence that the op switched to an inside! after crying for 3 days. At least she had a balcony but I think they should have told her if the view would be obstructed. She's had balconys befor so its not like its the first time and she's been looking foward to a once in a lifetime opportunity, she's been lucky enough to have 14 cruises and will have many more to come, and lifes too short to cry over little things and I think she needs to learn how to make the best of a bad situation and grin and bear whatever life throws at her, for crying out loud worse things can happen! I dont see how the entire cruise was ruined and still cant understand why she switched to an inside. Id be more upset about not having any sanitary pads! Ive had my share of vacations that went wrong, I did cry whilst on vacation too ( a couple of times lol) I once booked a hotel that was named on arrival and i didnt know the name of the hotel until i arrived, well my hotel was on the other side of the island and had no beach just cliffs! ( this was tenereif and i was in the north, the tourist attractions are all south) I called my TA and cried so that theyd move me to another location but if they hadnt I would have just made the best of it ( i was trying to, but after a week i thought it was worth complaining to see if it got me my own way and it did) it ended up being a brilliant vacation

I couldn't agree more! I wouldn't have cried for three seconds over it, but there are some women who just fall apart at certain "times" ;)

maybe she hoped her husband would take the hint and upgrade to a suite if she carried on for long enough :rolleyes:;)

Archived