Laundry?

lrowe70

I've been getting several mixed messages about laundry on the Splendor.

Somewhere I read that there is a bag in your room that for $11 you can get it washed and folded. Is this correct? I can no longer seem to find that information.

Where are the laundry rooms located, I've not been able to find them in the deck plan online. Also do they have specific hours? How crowded do they get?

We are from a cold climate and will probably sweat up a storm in Mexico(so several clothing changes a day). Also our baby is coming and he spits up a bunch so we would like to do laundry each day, is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Riviera Deck 1 (Iron): Across from stateroom: 1425 Main Deck Deck 2 (Laundry): Across from stateroom: 2367 Upper Deck Deck 6 (Iron): Across from stateroom: 6391 Empress Deck Deck 7 (Laundry): Across from stateroom: 7339 Verandah Deck Deck 8 (Iron): Across from stateroom: 8381 Lido Deck Deck 9 (Laundry): Across from stateroom: 9270

I have never done my own laundry on a cruise because, well... I'm on a cruise :p I have sent it out a couple of times (I want to say more like $15 a bag though). The first time I was very displeased - reminded me of when I would send my laundry out with the army; I think it was all put in one bag to separate ours from anyone else's, then washed in hot. The last time it turned out ok, but I was careful about what I sent. Kids' shorts and stuff that I didn't care if it got ruined. They actually had to "replace" a couple of items first time - i.e. gave OBC to our S&S. We have cruised with a baby a couple of times. If you can pack a whole additional bag of just baby stuff you may be ok. We always were. Enjoy your vacation!

Name: Launderettes / Ironing Rooms

Locations - Launderettes

Main Deck 2 - midship / across from 2365

Empress Deck 7 - midship / across from 7339

Lido Deck 9 - forward / across from 9270

Locations – Ironing Rooms

Riviera Deck 1 – aft / across from 1425

Upper Deck 6 – midship / across from 6391

Verandah Deck 8 – midship / across from 8381

Hours: hours posted on the door to the Laundry

Function: Self-Service Launderette

2 or 3 washers

2 or 3 dryers

1 iron and ironing board

Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener

Ironing Room: 2 ironing boards/irons

``** If not mistaken the laundry rooms are closed while in Ports due to regulations the countries you are visiting.

We're Platinum now, and one of the perks is free laundry service. It's great, BUT they definitely place all the clothes you send, in the same bag, and toss them into the huge washers, with a lot of other people's bags. Everything gets washed in HOT water. I recommend never sending anything permanent press, of any value, or anything white to the laundry. You will probably get it back permanently wrinkled, and your whites will now be a sickly gray.

We're Platinum now, and one of the perks is free laundry service. It's great, BUT they definitely place all the clothes you send, in the same bag, and toss them into the huge washers, with a lot of other people's bags. Everything gets washed in HOT water. I recommend never sending anything permanent press, of any value, or anything white to the laundry. You will probably get it back permanently wrinkled, and your whites will now be a sickly gray.

Exactly!

I've been getting several mixed messages about laundry on the Splendor.

Somewhere I read that there is a bag in your room that for $11 you can get it washed and folded. Is this correct? I can no longer seem to find that information.

Here is a link to the Splendor FunTimes from Halloween.

Look at the Tuesday Inserts. There is a Laundry Special.

Wash & Fold (1 bag) - $15

Wash & Fold (5 bags) - $50

It was $15 the last two times we cruised, but well worth it. Someone here on CC told me to roll up my clothes tightly before I put them in the laundry bag they provide, it works like a CHARM. I get back 2 backs of folded laundry for every one bag of rolled laundry I send out, lol.

We tried to do our own laundry ONCE. It was horrible. Half of the equipment was broken down, the other half it was like "rush hour" in the college laundromat. When we eventually did get ahold of a machine, some idiot was "holding" one of the TWO working dryers with his wet clothing for hours on end (didn't put any money in it to use it). So we put his clothing on top of the dryer and used it (standard laundromat ettitquette). The guy came back (we're talking 4-5 HOURS after parking his wet stuff in the dryer) and tried to start a fight with my husband. Then he left, we left and when we came back to check on our stuff, the jerkwad had returned before us and put HIS stuff in the dryer that had OUR money in it! We were DONE screwing with it all and just scooped up our wet clothing and hung it all over our cabin to dry, which took 2 DAYS. NEVER AGAIN! :rolleyes:

I try not to overpack anymore so some things, like the poolside tshirts etc get worn several times so I have done the occasional load. Plus I generally have all the house laundry caught up before I leave so doing some on ship makes me feel less depressed when returning home! Plus it keeps the cabin tidier.

I have found that port days/mornings are the best time, and the worst time is an elegant night before dinner...too many people trying to iron! Maybe walk by the closest laundry and see its usage here and there, and if you are going to be hanging in your room for a bit and its not busy, go for it.

I just drop a ziplock of detergent into my luggage.

Keep in mind that the $15 promotion is just offered on one day, the rest of the time standard rates apply and it can be costly.

My sister often stays on the ship when we're in port and about mid week we will send all of our shorts/capri's/tee's to the steward for the ship to do (we're Platinum so no charge) and then sister usually does one load of undies and things that we don't want the ship to launder.

We take 3n1 Purex sheets for the detergent and bounce sheets for the dryer because we don't think the Purex sheets do all that well.

The detergent and fabric softener (liquid, so has to be added during the cycle) are $1 each and it costs $3 to wash and $3 to dry (though the dryers will hold 2 washers full)

She typically puts our laundry in around 10ish on a port day useing one of the laundry rooms on deck 6, then goes down to deck 5 to read for about 30 minutes. Comes back, puts everything in the dryer, which has a timer on it and then we're done.

We've never encountered a closed or full laundry and we've never had any other passengers that caused any problems.

Wow MamaParrotHead, I would have promptly taken the "jerks" clothes out, put mine back in, and waited for them to be dry. Some people have little class, but a lot of nerve.

LOL, at that point (when we shlepped our wet clothes back to our cabin) it was LITERALLY like 1:00 a.m. and we had port plans the next morning. We were EXHAUSTED or might have put up a bigger fuss, lol.

We have always done our own laundry on-board and have had pretty good experiences doing so.

Also, they seem to be open in port. On our last cruise, we were back from our excursion in Tortola a few hours before sail away, and decided to do a load that afternoon.

We also avoided the area the afternoon before any elegant night. Did our ironing in the laundry room the night before.

Archived