Special Dietary Restrictions

wrg11

The more we travel, the more I realize how challenging it is to manage my gluten free diet and other food allergies. I've read that Princess is very accommodating to dietary restriction. Great!! But I would like to know what exactly I can expect. Has anyone experienced the gluten free menu/options? If so, I would love to hear about your dining experiences. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

From my experience, Princess handles special dietary needs very well!

My sister and I did the Scandinavia/Baltics in 2010 and I'm gluten free and egg free. I alerted my TA to my restrictions and was advised to speak with someone on the first night of dining (I think it was the maitre d', but can't recall exactly). I was given my "own" head waiter, Paula, and she turned out to be one of my best new Princess friends! We had the Anytime Dining option, so we just let the maitre d' know that we needed to be seated in Paula's section each night. Paula would bring me the lunch and dinner menus for the following day (we never used the lunch ones, but it was nice to know the option was available) at the end of dinner each night and I'd let her know what my preferences were. One night, I asked if having GF Fettuccine Alfredo was an option...Paula went to double check and came back looking somewhat sad...she said that they didn't have GF fettuccine, but could make it with GF spaghetti if I didn't mind. I said "yes, please!" and ended up having it twice more during the trip. So while they sometimes need to make small adjustments, the Princess culinary staff were great when it came to accommodating me!

One more thing, just in case you're also egg free...

Desserts are super hard, as most ice cream, cakes, mousses, etc have one or both of my "forbidden" ingredients. From experience, I know that panna cotta is generally safe, so I told Paula that if she ever saw it as an option, to please count me in. The very next night, I was presented with a lovely raspberry panna cotta and I practically giggled with glee. I asked if it was on the regular menu and Paula said no, that the chef had simply made some because I mentioned it.

Please don't be afraid to let the Princess staff know how they can help you enjoy your trip to the fullest. You can always ask if there's something you don't see on the menu...and as my sister always reminds me, "Asking is free!" :D

And on that same plan, please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions you may have!

I have several friends who are on gluten-free diets. I can't improve on what TheSmartOne has written but will emphasize that you have your TA put a notation on your booking and the first night, ask to speak to the Table Captain or Maitre d'. They will be very accommodating.

The only thing I'll add to TheSmartOne's post is that I am just back from the 28 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise and one thing that was new (and maybe only for this cruise as there were so many of us gluten free) was that at lunch and dinner they had a gluten-free selection at the Horizon Court (buffet).

I had fixed seating for this long cruise, so the Head Waiter (or Supervisor as his tag said) helped me each night with the menu selection for the next day. He also told me he could get me things for lunch. I was not feeling well for a few days and he also said he could have something sent to my cabin. I also enjoyed gluten free fettucine as well as a couple of other pasta dishes, gluten free pizza (though the crust wasn't to my liking), and lots of other tasty dishes. Once the waiter discovered my issues, they frequently brought me gluten free desserts as a surprise.

I too am GF. Along with letting your travel agent know it is important the you go to the Princess website, go to the "Special Request" section of the Cruise Personalizer and click on "Gluten Free/No Wheat". When you do you will find this notice: Special Notice

Gluten free/No wheatspacer.gifPassengers who require a gluten free/no wheat diet are required to fax a letter to Princess Cruises Onboard Services department at the appropriate number listed below.

US (661) 284-4770

UK 0843 374 4444 (Tel only)

AU/NZ 612 8424 9015I always do this at least 6 weeks prior to a cruise with my name, booking number, ship, destination and cabin number (if known). This will ensure that they have plenty of GF items on board.

I have also asked the Head Waiters in the Horizon court to walk the buffet with me. I understand that those items are not made in the GF kitchen, but it works for me. They will also get GF toast in the morning that is toasted downstairs (in GF toaster) and then brought to you.

I have found both Princess and DisneyWorld to be the two easiest places for me to travel as a celiac! Have a wonderful cruise!

Paula

I have been eating gluten free/wheat free for 2 years since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Princess does a great job in assisting me with my food choices. I give them great credit with all the passengers and all of their individual issues.:)

Princess does a great job with special dietary restrictions. The head maitre'd in the dining room you will eat in will visit with you before you leave the dining room and show you the menu for the next evening and will advise you what you can have and how they will prepare it...they were wonderful dealing with my DH dietary issues.

DH has never gotten sick from eating food on Princess, they are very good about Celiac disease. It is interesting to hear about Horizon Court, but how do they handle cross contamination if it is self serve?

I have had similar wonderful experiences eating gluten-free on Princess. When looking at the next day's menus, I've asked "Is this gluten-free?" and the answer was "Madam it can be made gluten-free for you." The only limitation was that a lot of desserts aren't gluten-free, but the staff did find me a gluten-free chocolate cake and crustless cheesecake, plus the ice cream in the MDR is very good. I have never had a reaction eating in the MDR. Not sure how things will go when it's closed in ports, and I need to find something in the Horizon Court. Another option is the International Cafe has several salads that are gluten-free. I've never had a problem with the chicken or shrimp salads.

DH has never gotten sick from eating food on Princess, they are very good about Celiac disease. It is interesting to hear about Horizon Court, but how do they handle cross contamination if it is self serve?

For the most part the gluten free selection was set off by itself or with one other selection (such as the sugar free selection). The self-serve thing will probably always be an issue because most people don't really know what gluten-free means and why they shouldn't use the spatula from the other desserts. I was willing to risk that most of the time. There was one time I passed on it though because the tag didn't seem to match what the dessert actually was and another when the selection was too close to another obviously gluten filled dessert.

I have several friends who are on gluten-free diets. I can't improve on what TheSmartOne has written but will emphasize that you have your TA put a notation on your booking and the first night, ask to speak to the Table Captain or Maitre d'. They will be very accommodating.

Good to know. Thanks Pam. April will be my first time as gluten free/dairy free. I tried to just eat off the regular menu in Sept. but it didn't work.

I'm not celiac, so I don't have to be as careful as some, thankfully. :)

Pat

I am traveling with Princess in Jan. and am looking forward to my meals. Last Jan we were on Carnival and they were really good as well. The only thing they couldn't make for me were mozzeralla sticks, but it seems that they spent quite a bit of time trying. I am going to be faxing a letter hopefully tomorrow. I have asked the chef in the food court before (on Carnival again) what things were gluten free and he was really helpful. Last Jan I ended up not really eating a lot for lunch so didn't bother.

tigercat

We have sailed on Princess, RCI and Carnival with a member of our party who has celiac disease and he's never had any issues on any of these cruise lines. He has alerted them to the issue ahead of time, and as others have mentioned, has sought out the head waiter/maitre'd on our first day and has always found them to be very willing to accommodate his allergy. I think gluten allergies are becoming a common enough thing that all of the cruise lines are probably experimenting with finding delicious options for their guests. I'm sure you won't have any problems gaining the recommended 4-8 lbs on your trip, lol :p

On our February cruise on the Island, our table mate had celiac and each night they would come out and talk to her with the options for the next night. They altered their offerings specifically for her and she would choose the next night's meal. Worked very well and I was impressed with the effort they put forward to accommodate her specific needs. A big cheer for Princess is in order.

Did the LA to Hawaii last Apr. It was my 1st experience traveling gluten free, so having read on these pages, faxed my requirements to Princess. I cannot say enough about how well I was treated both on the ship and at the luau. As was stated the MDR staff were great in

explaining the various items on the menu, and the deserts they served me(not that I needed them). So rest easy you will be taken care of.

If you have booked shore excursions with Princess that include a meal, be sure to stop by the shore excursion desk and ask them to notify the providers about any special dietary needs you have.

Not all providers can meet every special need, but many of the requests can be met.

• 1 month later...

I am so excited to see this post! I was very worried that our cruise in March would be like our last cruise on RC. I can only say RC was not very helpful and other then their speciality restaurants, it was very stressful to eat at all. They even brought me wheat pasta and told me it was rice pasta!

On Princess, how to you handle GF in the specialty restaurants and chefs table? I assume you just tell them when you make the reservation, is that correct? And for anytime dining, you can just tell them your first meal and request the same server?

I am happy to be back on a Princess cruise and don't plan on straying again.

On Princess, how to you handle GF in the specialty restaurants and chefs table? I assume you just tell them when you make the reservation, is that correct? And for anytime dining, you can just tell them your first meal and request the same server?

In the dining rooms, you must work with your headwaiter or the Matre d' with requests such as GF. Yes, let your servers know as they will know not to offer you bread, etc., but the headwaiter will help you plan your meals.

Same for the specialty restaurants. Don't just phone in a reservation. Visit them and speak with the headwaiter 24 hours before your meal.

If the Chef's table can accomodate you, be sure to let them know when you make the reservation and again when you receive the acceptance notice.

Archived