Christmas at Sea?

I have not tried it yet...but the idea has a certain appeal especially if the cruise line was willing to do a deal for the family to go as a group....what do others think. Have you tried it..or are you against it...interested to hear others opinions:confused:

I have not tried it yet...but the idea has a certain appeal especially if the cruise line was willing to do a deal for the family to go as a group....what do others think. Have you tried it..or are you against it...interested to hear others opinions:confused:

It has never appealed to me, in the past, because Christmas is such a special time in its own right. Either I want an Aussie beach Christmas or a "white Christmas" overseas, complete with snow, ice skating, etc.

I travel overseas every Christmas and New Year to some where different. Three reasons 1) no family live in Australia with me 2) family is not overly fussed on Christmas or NYE 3) I get to experience Christmas/NYE in variety of different countries/cultures.

We are about to spend our third Christmas at sea. Christmas and NYE 2009 we went on a long cruise around New Zealand, Sydney to Sydney on Rhapsody (with my in-laws). Last year we were on Rhapsody again for a shorter South Pacific cruise. And this year we are doing a Sydney to Auckland on Century that covers both Christmas and NYE.

We obviously like cruising over Christmas. The ship has always been decorated beautifully, there is no housework, cooking or cleaning and just time to relax and recharge. It still feels festive and we also get to celebrate our wedding anniversary on board (31 Dec). Our close family is widespread throughout Australia and overseas, so we would never get to see them all anyway. We meet nice people on board, and everyone seems very happy and relaxed.

I still decorate at home and have a Christmas party with friends before we leave, so I feel I get the best of both worlds.

You should give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but you may love it as well! Next year we are cruising in early December so will be home for our frist Christmas in a while, and I am sure I will suffer Christmas at sea withdrawal!!

We spent last Christmas and New Year, with our family, on Diamond Princess.

Had a ball and would do it again at the drop of a hat (if the bank manager agreed)

:D waves to Pete & Norma Hi

Totally agree with Pete - loved Christmas and New Year on board the Diamond Princess last year.

So guess what - we are doing it again this time on the Century.

We are about to spend our third Christmas at sea. Christmas and NYE 2009 we went on a long cruise around New Zealand, Sydney to Sydney on Rhapsody (with my in-laws). Last year we were on Rhapsody again for a shorter South Pacific cruise. And this year we are doing a Sydney to Auckland on Century that covers both Christmas and NYE.

We obviously like cruising over Christmas. The ship has always been decorated beautifully, there is no housework, cooking or cleaning and just time to relax and recharge. It still feels festive and we also get to celebrate our wedding anniversary on board (31 Dec). Our close family is widespread throughout Australia and overseas, so we would never get to see them all anyway. We meet nice people on board, and everyone seems very happy and relaxed.

I still decorate at home and have a Christmas party with friends before we leave, so I feel I get the best of both worlds.

You should give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but you may love it as well! Next year we are cruising in early December so will be home for our frist Christmas in a while, and I am sure I will suffer Christmas at sea withdrawal!!

Counting down the days until we do this all over again. Agree it is also about meeting some of the wonderful people on board!:)

Much love to Pete, Norma, Peter and Margo and their families!

We had our first family cruise on the Diamond last year and had a lovely Christmas at sea.

The people we sailed with are so amazing and you can celebrate with as many or as few as you would like.

As we are a Christian family celebrating with a Church service is very important to us, sadly we were missing our family and friends back home, but being able to celebrate the birth of Christ with the crew and passengers was sublime.

If you wanted to go the carol singing and Santa route, that was available too and the Diamond Children's Centre team worked very hard at engaging young and older than young along with the many families onboard in the festivities and activities in the Atrium on Christmas Day.

The gingerbread house making was a hoot, the Americans seemed to be quite competitive, our house looked like the only thing missing was a red sticker, yet it got through customs in Auckland and is still standing, thank you Kimzeee.

Decorations were fabulous, we received a wee Christmas stocking with lollies in it, there was a lovely menu for Christmas Day, it was a formal night and the photographers were out in force, we purchased photos as our updated family portrait, there were crakers to pull on the dinner tables and a lovely feel to the whole day.

Our next trip is booked for another Christmas and New Years cruise and we are looking forward to it.

Have a lovely cruise.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

We will be heading off on the 17th December for our 3rd consecutive Christmas and or New Year at sea.

The ships are always beautifully decorated and with carols playing over the loudspeaker system it is a real festive feel.

We too have Christmas with the family before we leave.

My wife loves it as there is no stress leading up to and on the day itself.

Two years ago we met a family on board who were doing their 4th Christmas at sea. The family numbers in excess of 50 as there is now extended family members as well. Their reasoning was "there was always too much bickering or arguments between the family members on the day so they all decided to cruise instead. Now all are happy on Christmas day.

Whether you decide to cruise or not - have a happy and safe Christmas and New Year.

We spent last Christmas and New Year, with our family, on Diamond Princess.

Had a ball and would do it again at the drop of a hat (if the bank manager agreed)

Forgot to say that at 9.00 am on Christmas morning, when Santa arrived to give all the kids a present, IT SNOWED REAL SNOW, in the atrium, yes the wet stuff!!!!! Quite a sight and one for the memory bank.

Hi, I would have to agree with eveyone.

Christmas & NYE is the best.

We had a blast last year on the Diamond. It was the first time I had been away from my kids for christmas as they all decided to spend it overseas travelling. So we took the opportunity to do it as well.

I personally found Christmas less stressful, no cooking no cleaning, great company & the ship had a great family feel. It was special.

So we have booked another on The Voyager of the Seas for Christmas 2012 & NYE & I working on convincing my kids they should join us.

&

Í'm so happy ive just heard Tracey & her family are joining us on the Voyager as well.

my advice

just do it once

then decide if its for you & your family.

Kim

I too am about to celebrate my first Christmas and second NYE at sea (the first was on the old Sky - PARTY!!). I am looking forward to no bickering and pointed comments from certain family members that always seem to come out after a few beverages.:p. It will be nice to have just the two of us and 1400 of our closest friends :D

We will be docked at Portside Christmas Day, so I think we might catch a taxi to the botanical gardens or maybe go into the city and walk along the river.

Cheers,

We will be docked at Portside Christmas Day, so I think we might catch a taxi to the botanical gardens or maybe go into the city and walk along the river.

Cheers,

I assume you will be docked in Brisbane. :) I suggest you catch the CityCat (catamaran ferry) to Southbank. The ferry stop is around 300metres up-stream from Portside. You can swim at Portside if you feel like it, although the lagoon will probably be fairly busy. Obviously there are change facilities etc. close to the swimming lagoon. Evenif you don't feel like that you can wander around then jump back on the CityCat for the ride up-river. You can also get off the ferry and walk through the botanical gardens.

Have a great cruise and a lovely Christmas.:)

I assume you will be docked in Brisbane. :) I suggest you catch the CityCat (catamaran ferry) to Southbank. The ferry stop is around 300metres up-stream from Portside. You can swim at Portside if you feel like it, although the lagoon will probably be fairly busy. Obviously there are change facilities etc. close to the swimming lagoon. Evenif you don't feel like that you can wander around then jump back on the CityCat for the ride up-river. You can also get off the ferry and walk through the botanical gardens.

Aus Traveller meant you can swim at Southbank.

Please note that limited services operate on Christmas Day.

Please see http://www.translink.com.au for details.

If you buy a day pass, you might like to get off the ferry at New Farm Park also.

Cruising during Christmas and New Year is fantastic. Obviously some people prefer to stay at home with their families but when we traveled during this period we noticed a lot more families on board, especially with young children. This didn't detract from the experience rather it made it feel more like Christmas. Its certainly a different way of doing things but I highly recommend it, it was the most relaxing Christmas Day we ever had and it there were no dishes!

Thanks for that info on the CityCats. They would probably be a lot cheaper than a taxi :). Is it possible to buy a full day pass for unlimited travel, so we can hop on and hop off where ever we like?

Cheers,

Archived