Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Nov. 20 - 27, 2011 Review

Polar Bear Mom

DH and I sailed on the M.S.Nieuw Amsterdam cruise November 20 – 27, 2011. Once again another great cruise aboard a magnificent ship. The Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship as are all of the HAL ships.

We started our adventure staying at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel. We had a wonderful view of the port and could see some of the ships.

On Saturday afternoon we went to the beach to see the M.S.Eurodam set sail.

Sunday morning after a lovely breakfast at the hotel we boarded the shuttle to the port. On the shuttle we met a couple going on the Nieuw Amsterdam, chatted and became friends. We would join them each day for cocktails before dinner. Joked later in the week that you never know who you are going to meet on a shuttle, but take a chance and talk and see what develops.

Arrived onboard around 11:30 am, was able to go to our cabins as they were ready for us. When boarding we were greeted with smiles from the best crew on the high seas. It felt great being home on a HAL ship.

Our cabin was aft 4176, fabulous cabin. Had the same type of cabin on the Zuiderdam, we knew we would great views.

What can I say about Half Moon Cay, “I Wish I Could Stay There Forever”. It is clean, quiet, peaceful, very relaxing, a place I am sure everyone wants to go back to.

Each day onboard was great. Met many new friends, reconnected with HAL crew we have met over the years.

Being Canadian we had our Thanksgiving October 10th. This was the first time we actually celebrated the American Thanksgiving. We looked forward to the turkey dinner. Had read post stating the turkey was process and not real. Was pleased when the dinner came and the turkey was real meat not processed. Turkey with all the trimmings, lots of pumpkin desserts, both white and dark meat and of course warm Thanksgiving wishes from our stewards. I was not surprised the turkey was real meat and not process as have had turkey before on a HAL ship and at that time it was not processed.

We only did two excursions. Our excursion was the Land & Sea Excursion in Georgetown Grand Cayman. The tour was one hour late starting. This was not the fault of Holland America but of the tour group. Excursion was excellent, would have been better if it had started on time. This made it tight to do any shopping. I was able to make it to the Bernard Passman Gallery and pick up another piece for my collection. Going to Bernard Passman Gallery was one of the main reasons for taking this cruise.

Lorna and I swam with the dolphins in Cozumel. Dophins are magnificent animals, beautiful, smart, playful and mischievous. This is an excursion I would recommend to go on.

One of the high lights of the cruise was when Rowland and I received our Copper Medals. I will proudly wear my medal to the Mariners’ luncheon on my next cruise with HAL.

DH and I organized the Meet & Greet for our group. Everyone seemed to enjoy the gathering. HAL as usual helped us with the time, date, location etc. We were fortunate to have crew attend our Meet & Greet and took time to talk to our group. This was the fourth Meet & Greet we organized and as always HAL was very helpful. I received many lovely comments about our Meet & Greet. This is something I enjoy doing. It takes a lot of time and effort to prepare. I start organizing months before we sail. By the time we sail some of our members have become friends through emails, phone calls etc.

This was the first cruise for my brother and his fiancée. Both had a great time and are planning another cruise with HAL. Of course we are planning to go with them, hopefully back to Alaska.

If you want to have a good time with great memories go on a Holland America Cruise. I did and I can’t wait to once again be home on a Holland America Cruise.

The only problem with this cruise, it was too short.

Nancy ;)

We were on this cruise and had a great time, also. Thank you Nancy and Rowland for the best Meet and Greet. It was a pleasure to meet ya'll.

Thanks. It was great meeting the two of you. Wish had had more time to spend with everyone. Maybe we will meet again on another HAL ship.

Take care

Nancy:cool:

Our excursion was the Land & Sea Excursion in Georgetown Grand Cayman. The tour was one hour late starting. This was not the fault of Holland America but of the tour group. Excursion was excellent, would have been better if it had started on time. This made it tight to do any shopping. I was able to make it to the Bernard Passman Gallery and pick up another piece for my collection. Going to Bernard Passman Gallery was one of the main reasons for taking this cruise.

Nancy ;)

Thanks for the review, I will be on the NA in just over a month. I have never been to the Grand Cayman, what is the Bernard Passman Gallery? Must be something special if you planned your cruise around it:)

Thanks for the review, I will be on the NA in just over a month. I have never been to the Grand Cayman, what is the Bernard Passman Gallery? Must be something special if you planned your cruise around it:)

The Bernard Passman Gallery is where you can purchase real black coral. He was an amazing designer. We went to Grand Cayman 1988 and I had the honour of meeting Mr.Passman. He was there signing pieces. Mr.Passman passed away about 4 years ago, but his galleries still have his work. When you have the jewelery and wear it to one of the galleries you are treated as family, given a glass of champagne. Each gallery has a different black coral chandelier on display. If you have time visit one of the galleries.

We decided on this cruise as we had never been on the Nieuw Amsterdam, had been years since we had been to Grand Cayman and have been to most of the Islands. So yes it was time to go back to Grand Cayman and the Passman Gallery.

Archived