Some questions about the "Radiance "

grayjay

We are considering to take a cruise on the " Radiance" - our first after several with Celebrity.

Even after studying the deck plans, I still have some questions which perhaps somebody can help with:

I noticed a huge overhang ( pool, seaside café etc.) So perhaps it might be better to choose one of the lower decks with balcony cabins?

Which cabins get the best view of the ocean? Are there any cabins with bigger balconies but no obstructed views?

I did not really find a difference between categories E and D. Cat. E cabins seem to be a bit smaller. Any other differences? The RCCL homepage is not really helpful with this!

Is there a chance to to walk around on one of the decks? I couldn't find any information on that and the jogging track seems to be tiny.

I know that smoking is allowed on the balconies. I've got asthma - is smoking really an issue on RCCL ships? ( I know, of course it's a chance to have either somebody chain-smoking or a non-smoker in the adjoining cabin :rolleyes: )

Thank you for your answers.

Each deck is covered by the one above, so NO balcony (except for the aft balconies) will be uncovered. No worries, tho...they are not dark! You get plenty of ambiant light and being covered means no one can "look down" onto your balcony.

All of the balconies have great views...no worries about that! The ocean is all around you!

E's are smaller than D's...by about 20 sq. ft (or so!)...the size is the only difference....everything that's in a D cabin will be in an E...just a bit less space to walk!

Deck 5 is the promenade....can't remember if it goes all the way around. There are plenty of places to walk, and you do A LOT of walking on the ship!

As far as smoking....we've never been bothered by smokers on the balcony...the wind tends to whip the smoke away. In port, we're generally not on our balcony....we're ashore...so if a smoker was puffing, we never noticed!

Each deck is covered by the one above, so NO balcony (except for the aft balconies) will be uncovered. No worries, tho...they are not dark! You get plenty of ambiant light and being covered means no one can "look down" onto your balcony.

Not true. Radiance Class has several balconies on deck 7, both sides, that are extended and are open to the decks above.

with the exception of the forward balconies and the "hump" balconies, most of the D7 balconies have a somewhat obstructed view - straight down. There is a roof that covers the lifeboats, which blocks your view down. As you go up decks, each deck experiences less of that obstruction, but it's still sort of there at the bottom of your view. There are two cabins on each side of the elevator banks that don't have any liftboats beneath them, and they have deeper balconies.

Thank you for your replies. I'm afraid there has been a kind of misunderstanding due to language problems - English is not my native language .... :rolleyes:: What I really meant was that on some decks the view is obstructed/ lessened or whatever due to the overhang of a deck above. On the Celebrity ships we have been on the pool deck had this overhang plus huge struts limiting your view of the sky.

I'm also getting goggle-eyed because of studying the deck plans all the time to find out a nice balcony cabin for our cruise (AUS/NZ) - there are still so many open for booking that there's lots of choice. So - any help forthcoming about especially nice cabins? I can't quote specific ones - far too many at the moment!!

Thank you again for your patience!

I think you may get obstructed views in some cabins due to lifeboats. I read everywhere that the best cabin are Aft cabins and cabins on the hump, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Whatever cabin you chose, enjoy the Radiance, she is a wonderful ship. Still my favorite so far.

Cindy

Thank you for your replies. I'm afraid there has been a kind of misunderstanding due to language problems - English is not my native language .... :rolleyes:: What I really meant was that on some decks the view is obstructed/ lessened or whatever due to the overhang of a deck above. On the Celebrity ships we have been on the pool deck had this overhang plus huge struts limiting your view of the sky.

I'm also getting goggle-eyed because of studying the deck plans all the time to find out a nice balcony cabin for our cruise (AUS/NZ) - there are still so many open for booking that there's lots of choice. So - any help forthcoming about especially nice cabins? I can't quote specific ones - far too many at the moment!!

Thank you again for your patience!

Generally, if there is something like a ladder, strut or lifeboat obstructing the view straight out from your balcony or window, it will be specifically noted on the deck plan. On Radiance there is an area on deck 7 and 8 that is set in from the rest of the ship that results in an overhang above and an obstruction looking straigh down. Here is a picture from dockside in San Diego that shows what I am talking about:

P1020413.jpg?t=1323186751are Here is one with the same perspective as we cruised into San Francisco. Hopefully, despite the fact it was a gloomy day, you can see you canstill get a good view.

P1020568.jpg?t=1323186687

Hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Archived