St. Barts?

Felidae

I don't really like any the excursions NCL is offering on St Barts. I would like to look around a bit though - get a feel for the place. Is it possible to walk anywhere from the port? If we do take a taxi is it difficult? What would people recommend?:confused:

Are you sure your cruise is going to St Barts? They don't typically allow mass market ships. If you are going to St Martin, you could take a ferry or plane over, but not sure if the expense and travel time would be worth it. St Barts is best enjoyed on a land-based visit with plenty of Euros in your pocket!;)

I don't think NCL has any ships small enough for St. Baths.

If you go there, Gustavia, where you will tender in, is a small village that can be explored very easily on foot. Cabs along with everything else are VERY expensive, and all fares and fees are in Euros.

Edited by zqvol

None of major cruise lines call at St Barts.

Caroline,

I am not sure that I agree with you but it is probably a mater of semantics. None of the mass market crusie lines call on St. Barths, but a number of major cruise lines, including Seabourn, Sea dream, Crystal, and Wind Star call on St. Barths all the time.

The town is easily seen on foot (about hour); We took the ferry over from St. Maarten. At the ferry dock, the taxis all line up - 4 people: $20 each -Includes a tour of the island and they will drop you off & pick you up at St. Jean's Beach (beautiful!). There is a restaurant there- I think it's called Kiko Mo (?) that sells delicious panini sandwiches; but, there are several restaurants to choose from. Window shopping is great; but, the prices may cause some sticker shock! In town there is an ice cream shop that plays Jimmy Buffet music - you have to try some (I think it's $6-7 for one scoop - worth it!) The closest beach (Shell Beach)you can walk to is not very nice: It's full of pebbles and has very choppy water.

We personally thought the tour and day at the beach was well-worth $40. We just asked another couple to go with us and they agreed - The taxi stopped at some scenic areas for us to take photos, showed us some famous person's house, etc... And, we loved the beach.

Just a recommendation: If you do decide to do the taxi route, keep in mind that once the taxis head out, it is more difficult to get one who will include a tour of the island. We walked around the town first, came back to the ferry dock and had to wait about 40 minutes before another couple joined us because the taxis charge full fare ($80 for just 2 people) and don't budge on their rates.

Edited by greenscooter
more information

Well, this is a charter cruise on the Pearl and we are definitely going to St. Barth's.

We have been to St. Barths four or five times. It is a small island and easy to navigate. I highly suggest renting a car and doing your own thing. Depending on when you are there a car for the day might be as little as $80. That way you can explore the entire island, go to as many beaches as you want and get a feel for the place. Unlike a lot of islands driving is on the right. Just take it easy the roads are steep, curvy and narrow.

Caroline,

I am not sure that I agree with you but it is probably a mater of semantics. None of the mass market crusie lines call on St. Barths, but a number of major cruise lines, including Seabourn, Sea dream, Crystal, and Wind Star call on St. Barths all the time.

Sorry, yes semantics.. when I was a TA we refered to "mass market" as Carnival, RCI, NCL, HAL, etc.. the "mega ship" cruise lines. Sometimes a charter operates differently though as in case apparently of the Pearl!

Edited by Host Caroline

Sorry, yes semantics.. when I was a TA we refered to "mass market" as Carnival, RCI, NCL, HAL, etc.. the "mega ship" cruise lines. Sometimes a charter operates differently though as in case apparently of the Pearl!

Our March 02, 2012 cruise on HAL's Maasdam is stopping at St. Barth's. Same itinerary Jan 27 and April 06.

So if you see this thread and are interested in going there, check out HAL, particulary the Maasdam.

None of major cruise lines call at St Barts.

We sailed to St. Bart's on Maasdam either last year or the year before and we are returning in April. Maasdam is HAL...

It's a wonderful port call and we loved it thus are returning.

We went to St. Barts last year on HAL's Maasdam and will be going back there this year on Maasdam again.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to St. Barth's on a cruise several years ago. The ship docked there. We actually rented a little car, big enough for 4 of us, and just drove around the beautiful island. The rental place was right by the dock. One of our favorite places ever!!

We hired a car and guide and he took us on a wonderful tour. We totally enjoyed it. We are returning and are very much looking forward to seeing that pretty island again while on a cruise ship.

Yep, Oceania goes there. We were on Regatta 2 years ago. Now Marina is doing the Caribbean instead. Anyway, we also rented a car near where the tender lets you off. It was not cheap, but for 2 people, we probably would have paid more to take an excursion from the ship. We drove around the island (beautiful), and went to see where the planes come right over head before landing at the airport by a beach and water. It's pretty wild - a dangerous airport. I also walked up to the dinky lighthouse from the town. St. Barts is definitely a different place, and we loved it. You could probably just spend some time in Gustavia at the little shops and restaurants, plus walk up to the lighthouse and then on to the place near the airport where the planes fly overhead, and make it an easy, nice day. At the tender dock, there was a tourism rep handing out maps and answering questions.

Edited by roothy123

You could probably just spend some time in Gustavia at the little shops and restaurants, plus walk up to the lighthouse and then on to the place near the airport where the planes fly overhead, and make it an easy, nice day. At the tender dock, there was a tourism rep handing out maps and answering questions.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. We did something similar in St. Croix last year and really enjoyed it.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. We did something similar in St. Croix last year and really enjoyed it.

A walking tour on your own of Gustavia is very easy. Make sure you walk both sides of the harbor and be sure to go to the fort and the two churches. Make a side trip to Shell beach, there is a nice restaurant there, and make sure to wander back streets and take the steps. Go up the hill to the lighthouse and airport last and watch out for crazy drivers!

Make sure to pick up the map at the tender stop, it identifies the sites and shows the location of the steps, etc.

It is a great way to spend a few hours, I did it two weeks ago and hope to post pictures soon.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I also was in St. Barts twice in 2011. We are going this March. I like your idea of going on island tour and rt beach stop at St. Jean. I have a question though, do you pay at the end? Our experience was that we got a taxi joint to St. Jean, but coming back they were quadruple the price. We only got on cheaper because we joined someone who other part of the group did not show up and they told us what our share was, which was reasonable. I think they expect people to need a ride back from St. Jean and then that is where they have you and jack up the prices. What was your view?

• 2 weeks later...

Felidae. Gotta join the crowd. Also my fav Caribbean Island.Have stayed on land there too. Usually rent a scooter from directly up the hill from port to go around island. Island ringed in beautiful beaches. Remember a shopkeeper telling me they hate cruisers.I was actually there on Windjammer 20 yrs. ago. They anchored outside of harbour.Bon Voyage.

• 1 month later...

This is probably off topic, but where does the tender dock in Gustavia?

For those who were on the Maasdam, do you remember how long it took to be able to get on the tender (will they start to tender at 8 or so?), and when the last tender back is?

Not my first tendering experience, but this is my first time to St. Barts-

Thanks!

AC