Anyone just back from the DAWN????

cherylroslyn

Island Beachdog -- We are in 11060 in a few weeks for the 10-day cruise, our first time in a SC-2 bedroom - how was it? Anything we should know about the accommodations and perks involved?? Thanks!!

We saw one of these suites on our cabin crawl. You'll love it. You can sit in the bathtub and look out at the sea!

There is noting like NCL's suite perks. Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, butler to bring you what you like, priority tenders, priority disembark! I know you'll find more...these are what we enjoyed. We were in one of Dawn's SJ suites.

Anyone that just got off the dawn recently stay in a mini suite on deck 11?

I have to book a cruise for myself, DH and another couple, we are all light sleepers and I have read horror stories about noise from deck 12,

but we all insist on a mini suites so we are stuck with deck 11, anyone been in a quiet cabin on that deck, maybe forward under the new suites?

Thanks for any input, sailing on the Sun in Jan. but can't wait to experience the Dawn in 2013.

We were in 11512 a few years back. No noise at all!

Have a great time!

You will absolutely adore the Dawn! The crew is fabulous! The ship is spotless, and Johnny "cash" Sanchez is a riot! If you want to make him real happy, bring him a diet coke, he had a heart attack when he saw my daughter and I had it because it is his fave and they don't have Coke products lol. We are still saying to each other "Es Bingo Time!" in his accent lol!

I didn't find one crew member who was remotely sullen or rude, they were forever helpful and always ready with what I wanted before I even knew I wanted it! Not to mention the ship is just plain gorgeous itself.

Only problem was Cagney's. I was really not impressed. The prime rib we had was tasteless. We asked for Med rare and it was over cooked, however, the clam chowder there was to die for! If you go to Bamboo, ask for a waiter named Wayan Gunjara. He is the best waiter on the ship. Loads of fun and keeps you laughing. I found out some really cool things about Bali from him. Tell him Alysia and Allison say hello!

Other than that, all the resturants were fab, and be prepared to have a great time! If you want quiet, don't forget the front deck by the bow. It is the quiet area for adults. I have booked a new cruise on the Dawn for June of next year and I can't wait! Have fun!:)

You scared me for a minute! I thought I read they still had them. Looked on the Dailies posted and they're at 4 PM on sea days, like Weltek said below! :D Hope you're able to get to a few of them!

THANKS! Getting so excited now! The only thing it looks like we miss this trip is the Martini Making classes - used to be a fave for us!

-3 martini tastings were offered. One on each sea day, and they did a different style (first was a mish mash, second was "fruity" and third was "dessert and creamy") each time.

You scared me for a minute! I thought I read they still had them. Looked on the Dailies posted and they're at 4 PM on sea days, like Weltek said below! :D Hope you're able to get to a few of them!

We will for sure try this - :confused: not sure how it compares to the classes we have taken on past cruises in the Star Bar. We had been to tastings before - they were usually larger crowds and smaller samples. It's vodka - how bad can it be:D !!!

We will for sure try this - :confused: not sure how it compares to the classes we have taken on past cruises in the Star Bar. We had been to tastings before - they were usually larger crowds and smaller samples. It's vodka - how bad can it be:D !!!

Exactly! It's all vodka so it can't be bad!!! :D

Very true!!!! :D We've been to clinics, tastings & classes.. Had a great time at all! Our least favorite were the ones on the Gem, way too rushed. It's tough to drink all that vodka so fast! :eek:

They had them every day, but we only went to 2 of them. They held Trivia in an open area next to the Martini Tasting and they weren't happy with all the loud martini drinkers!!!

Johnny Sanchez was a decent cruise director. He's young, so still developing a bit, but he was accessible and visible around the ship, making sure guests were having a good time. His support staff were also generally good.

Calvin was the hotel director. He was very nice at our CC M&G, but kind of looked past people as he walked around the ship. That was unfortunate.

Stardust entertainers were:

Dave Heenan (comedian)

James Stephens III (impresionist & comedian)

Greg Gleason (magician)

Band on the Run (musical variety)

TerranceB (hypnotist)

Gary Lovini (violinist)

Second City (comedy)

Bollywood (dance, acrobatics, music)

Claire Maidin (pop & classic cabaret....whatever that means)

Lounge/bar entertainers:

Lucky Duo (man/woman piano singer combo)

Eric Lilley (piano/vocalist)

Ariel Jacobe (piano/vocalist)

Kenosis (various styles/decades cover band...does the 70-90s party tunes among other more classic sounds)

New Season poolside regge band

Margie Hobbs (piano/vocalist)

DJ Dragna (spinnaker and poolside DJ)

Samana tendering:

We didn't go until the afternoon, when the rain had died down. It wasn't busy AT ALL in the afternoon. The weather I'm sure had something to do with this, and the average age of cruisers being 59 on this sailing. :-)

Note to anyone with private booked excursions in Samana, in case you didn't see it, you don't get tender boats for town right away. Generally noon would be a good estimate of when you'll be able to get off the tender boats in Samana. <---I didn't do this, but this is what people were estimating at our M&G after speaking with NCL. Arrange with your tour operator accordingly.

Like Weltek said the tenders for the beach came first then the tenders for the land tours.We waited for about an hour and the trip took about 10 min..

What we did when we landed on Samana, we went to where the Taxi drivers hung out and bartered the amount of time, places to go and price.Just an example, for 5 people for 3 hours cost was $20.00/person. one last tip, ask for a taxi driver who speaks english.

We were in 11512 a few years back. No noise at all!

Have a great time!

Thanks so much for the reply, I read once that 11512 is across from a crew cabin, not quite sure what that means but I think it said there was noise from that, maybe it was different a few years back, I guess some things have changed recently on that ship. :o

Thanks so much for the reply, I read once that 11512 is across from a crew cabin, not quite sure what that means but I think it said there was noise from that, maybe it was different a few years back, I guess some things have changed recently on that ship. :o

We were in 11512 in 2006, so a lot could have changed since then. I do believe there was a hallway where they brought the luggage through, but I don't remember it being noisy. Neither does DH, but it was 5 years ago. Maybe we went to too many martini clinics!!! ;)

My bad. Their website says they will not be on board the Dawn until February 5, 2012 and will stay until June 29, 2012.

http://www.joseandpatti.net/

Looking forward to their fall schedule and hoping they're back on the ship in Sept!!

OP, If you enjoy your Dawn cruise half as much as I did, it will still be the best cruise you ever had. I'm sailing her for the third time in Sept. The cruises I have had on the Dawn are my top two of all the ones I have taken.

Archived