Bringing wine and corkage fee

KeyOfSea

I understand that we can bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin and that we will be charged a corkage fee if we take it to the dining room. Can you open it in your cabin and take the open bottle to the dining room without incurring a fee? If not, I assume that we can take a glass with us to the dining room. Is that true?

Thanks!

A corkage fee is not really to pay for the actual removal of the cork- it's a charge levied by a dining establishment for drinking outside beverages in their restaurant. So I would imagine whether it was corked or not, you will be charged the fee.

As to bringing a glass to the dining room, that is entirely up to you. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback both ways. Personally, I think it's tacky and doing things like this will lead Celebrity to ban wine brought onboard completely like Royal Caribbean does. They allow us to bring on wine for in cabin consumption, not to compete with their revenue stream.

A corkage fee is not really to pay for the actual removal of the cork- it's a charge levied by a dining establishment for drinking outside beverages in their restaurant. So I would imagine whether it was corked or not, you will be charged the fee.

As to bringing a glass to the dining room, that is entirely up to you. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback both ways. Personally, I think it's tacky and doing things like this will lead Celebrity to ban wine brought onboard completely like Royal Caribbean does. They allow us to bring on wine for in cabin consumption, not to compete with their revenue stream.

I really wasn't trying to 'get away' with something. Since most of our cruises have been on RCI, I wanted to understand the policy. BTW, we have purchased a glass of wine at a bar and taken it into dinner with us. I didn't know that we were being tacky. It's good to know that we need to drink our wine in the cabin, which is fine with us.

I understand that we can bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin and that we will be charged a corkage fee if we take it to the dining room. Can you open it in your cabin and take the open bottle to the dining room without incurring a fee? If not, I assume that we can take a glass with us to the dining room. Is that true?

Thanks!

If you take your bottle of wine to the MDR Celeberity charges you $25 corkage fee.:(:eek:

Drinking the wine in your stateroom costs you zero:) . I wouldn't carry a glass of wine all the way from my state room to the dining room .for one there are a lot of people in the way & you know what could happen :rolleyes:

Why would that be tacky?? I would imagine many people bring a glass of wine to dinner from a lounge/bar. No one knows where your glass of wine came from, nor should anyone care.

Why would that be tacky?? I would imagine many people bring a glass of wine to dinner from a lounge/bar. No one knows where your glass of wine came from, nor should anyone care.

Bringing wine you purchased at a lounge into the main dining room is fine; it is bringing your personal wine from your stateroom that is tacky as it is taking advantage of Celebrity's generosity in allowing passengers to bring wine on board. If people abuse this, Celebrity will take it away. Either consume the wine in your stateroom or pay the corkage fee.

We have found that if you take a really good wine and offer the Sommelier a taste after they decant it, they often will not charge the corkage fee. It happened on our last cruise and has in many restaurants we patronize. Does not work on box wines, however:D

Archived