"LIVE" from the Mariner o4-10-05

Radio

Maddle: We were in Grand Cayman the end of March on the Carnival Miracle. We rented a car and drove to Rum Point. The hurricane did incredible damage to the island. Most of the vegetation on the island is brown from the tidal surge (according to our rental car company the water reached the second floor in homes that were left standing!) Damage appeared to be a little less on the other side when we got to Rum Point. It was heartbreaking to see the homes/apartment complexes and buildings that are totally ruined. Still plenty of blue tarps on rooftops too. I gather they must have worked on getting the port up ASAP because it looked to be in good shape.

Radio, thanks for all this great pictures, we'll be on the Mariner in 38 days. Did you happen to notice if Hard Rock was open on Grand Cayman? it was closed from teh hurricanes when we were there in December.

Hello everyone......I found out something tonight that has me puzzled. When I went to the Diamond Crown and Anchor party tonight...I spoke with the Captain again, and I asked him directly what day he would be leaving, and he said that May 22 would be his last day, and he was notified today that Captain Johnny Faevalen would be replacing him. I was so surprised because of what he said yesterday...I was speechless...But he did let me get a nice photo with him.

Cozumel is currently 220 mile from our position, and we should be there by 10am. I have resolved my problem with clubphoto.com and am in the process of changing all of my pics back to them. This should be better because the link at the bottom of each post will go to that url.

The production show tonight was awsome, but tommorrow they are having "The Beatle Maniacs" .....they must be coming from the Rhapsody tommorrow.

There seems to be a change in the Concierge Lounge...There is now a bartender in there to prepare all of the drinks...It is still free, however I think that a tip would be expected. The drinks are there from 5-8:30 pm.

To answer a few questions.....

Shipreck... There is a Budget Rental agent right downtown next to the pier. It's the only one I saw.

Dustypup....The ShipShape center is very nice...There are probably about 40 machines there with treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers, rowing machines and others. There are several TV's in there and lots of music.

wdstev...Sorry, I couldn't tell if the Hard Rock Cafe was open or not.

See you tommorrow in Cozumel !;)

Radio

;) ;)

Radio and Captain Tor Olsen

46951713-0a4e-02000180-.jpg

Radio,

The picture of you and Captain Tor Olsen is great. I have only been on two cruises (so far) and he was the Captain on both of them. I really enjoyed listening to his reports. He seems very pleasant.

Lisa

That is a great pic of you and the Captain Radio! I was wondering what you look like. You sure are a handsome guy! ;)

So, do you work? I'm just curious since it seems like you are always sailing somewhere. hehee Forgive me if I'm just too invasive! :D

Radio,

This will be my first RCI cruise on the Mariner.

Was wondering about the "formal" nights, the last 3 cruises we took the first formal night was really formal and the next formal night was not quite as formal. Like black slacks and sparkle top etc.

What about the Mariner are both night very formal or one more than the other.

Also I have really enjoyed reading your day by day details of your cruise and the photo's are wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us cruise critic members.

Thanks and Have Fun!!!;)

Marcy

Christina1003......No. He will not be on until May 22...

marcyjane.... I would say that they are both as formal...there were about 50 % tuxes, and 50% suits.

Just a sidenote.....2 weeks ago there were over 1400 kids onboard, last week there were 1200 kids. This week there is 200 kids.

Radio

;) ;)

Hi Radio: What a great picture of you and Captain Olsen. I've never sailed with Captain Olsen, so I'm looking forward to meeting him in May.

Sounds like you are having a great time...how could you not? Can you believe the number of hits on this thread? Wow! You are famous!

Glad you are having a great time....have you booked anything for the Freedom of the Seas yet? We have a large cruise critic group sailing on FOS Nov 5, 2006....we would love to have you join us!

Radio, Wow is all I can say. Sure helps reading your reports when I don't have a cruise booked right now! I see you live in Perry Hall MD. Where is that? We live in Woodbridge VA and I was wondering how close we are. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks!!

Toni

Just a sidenote.....2 weeks ago there were over 1400 kids onboard, last week there were 1200 kids. This week there is 200 kids.

Radio

;) ;)

WOW---You really lucked out! I was on the cruise two weeks ago w/1,400:eek: kids--mostly teenagers. Not all were well behaved either (of course mine were angels!:rolleyes: )

Radio!!! Thanks for continuing to entertain us!

You mentioned a bar tender in the consierge lounge....do you know the names of the folks working in there? Also, when we were on board in January there were only drinks and coffee available because we were on a code Red...are there (here goes my spelling!) hor douves in the evening? How bout at breakfast time? I love that lounge and make great use of it!

i was curious if anyone has recently taken the dune buggy/snorkel excursion in Cozumel. Wondering about the buggys. Were they rail type or the old "VW" type fiberglass body, stick or automatic, etc....The brochure reads "modern", but i'm not sure......

thanx

Good Morning everyone....Welcome to Cozumel , Mexico. Another beautifil day is in store for us......with temps of 87f and sunny skies.

Here are a few shots from us pulling in to the International Pier in Cozumel......

Radio

;)

46962136-c030-02000180-.jpg

46962174-bf32-02000180-.jpg

46962190-b7c6-02000180-.jpg

46962211-e332-01800200-.jpg

Bosworld...we are sailing together! Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle??? You should come join our group on the roll call board....alot of fun people :)

Sorry can't answer about the dune buggies....

Hi, Radio,

As before I am following your thread with great anticipation of our cruise in May. We also have the Beatlemania group as entertainment, can you let me know what you think of them.

Have you ever thought of writing a travel column, or maybe an employee of travel channel? I think you would be good at it.

Samemily

Archived