Questions about Cruising to Alaska in May

Jkdavid99

I am taking a group of about 25 people, family and friends on a Alaska cruise in May 2012. I have been on this same cruise in September but I am wondering what the weather will be like in May. I can guess a whole lot more snow which will be beautiful but maybe colder. Also will the animal activity be as good as it was in September? We saw whales and dolphins daily.

The ship will just be finished being renovated so I am very excited about that but I am not sure what they do, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your help

I am taking a group of about 25 people, family and friends on a Alaska cruise in May 2012. I have been on this same cruise in September but I am wondering what the weather will be like in May. I can guess a whole lot more snow which will be beautiful but maybe colder. Also will the animal activity be as good as it was in September? We saw whales and dolphins daily.

The ship will just be finished being renovated so I am very excited about that but I am not sure what they do, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your help

we love the first cruise to alaska in may, usually the second week of may. we have been twice during this time and like it much more then the later months. it can be drizzly, and some times grey, but it always seems to get nice later in the day. its a bit cooler but we have stood on the balcony in our pj's and been fine. you're gonna love the fresh crisp air, and all the ice and bergs afloat. :D

Thanks for your help

Alaska comes alive in May. It is likely you will see more animals. In May the animals (land mammals) are hungry after the long winter and will be searching for food; hence more likely sightings of bear, moose, etc. There can be good early season fishing in May should you have fisherpersons in your group - a memory making shore excursion possibility. I've been to Alaska several times in May and the weather can be gray and rainy to clear skies and sunshine. Just take layers - quality fleece and good raingear (also hat and gloves )and you'll be fine. A huge plus for traveling in May are the long hours of daylight. It really makes a difference in the scenery and sightseeing.

there are some significant details to be aware of.

It is a WHOLE different story, each week of May. First week, is far from ideal, cold weather. Second week crap shoot, depending the the "year". Mid May- is my only recommendation, IF you want the better chance of fair weather- is very consistant at this timeframe EVERY year. last half of May- historically, over all very good.

Now for those "wildlife" reports. Sorry, there are NO resident orcas with any consistant sighting areas- inside passage, EXCEPT for the 6 resident Vancouver Island orca pods, and the resident pods out of Kenai Fjords. ALL other areas are PURE remote chance. Not sure where those "orcas" reported were seen. As for humpbacks- this is the ONLY time - first three weeks in May- that the Seattle round trips are an excellent choice. IF you take the time, you will be saililng right through the humpback migration, your first and last sea day.

As for other wildlife- too early for any bear tours on the inside passage. AND too early for Denali Park, with going northbound the ONLY choice to make if wildlife is your priority for Denali Park.

Cruised Alaska the last week of May and first week of June last year and it was great weather. Our favorite time of year in Alaska is mid May to mid June and early Sept. generally less rain. We actually live in Alaska!

Baby moose and bears are born the 3rd to 4th week of May although you may not see them on cruise. Whales are just starting to come into the waters. Snow will be off the ground but still in the mountains and it will be beautiful.

We saw more whales on the spring cruise than our other three AK cruises. The glaciers were more spectacular this time of year too.

The long daylight this time of year is the best thus less rain! It can get chilly at night ........which may begin about 10pm:) Fleece is a staple any time of year here!

Archived