Bed bugs

Thanks OBAYbee. Couldn't have said it better.

And for the poster who suggested you can't get heart disease at 32, I have a friend who's husband keeled over from a heart attack at 34. No warning at all. Left three small children. It does happen.

The amount of vitriol aimed at anyone posting on this board who dares to say their cruise was less than bliss is shocking.

Well, in the review, the man said they paid for their travel home....I think...going back to read it now....

Anyway, who knows now....but I still say they must want RCI to pay for more than their travel, med, hotel. Funny how he didn't get bit, right?

Sounds like perhaps they should have bought cruise insurance before their trip - it would have paid for their medical treatment, trip interruption, and evacuation if necessary.

The article gives some strength to the storey. In Roatan, I got terribly bit by chiggers that lived in the hammocks on the beach. Luckily it was the last day of my trip. I had been very good to use bug repellant before that day, but for some reason, just decided to swing in the breeze.

I was covered in Chigger bytes. (no-seeums). This just shows that the bites can have a variety of sources so before you go to bed, check for signs, but watch yourself on-shore too.

Just watched the video. I think the cruiseline should also have paid their medical treatment bills.

Those people would not have had medical bills for this had they not been on the ship.

I imagine the this might impact the immediate reservation request for this ship.

YUK!

Also, to the poster insinuating that nitro isn't for pain. Indeed it is. At the onset of angina, (constricting of the blood vessels causes this type of discomfort,) you put a nitro tab. sublingually (under your tongue) to dilate the vessel and thus relieving the chest pain. Sometimes it takes up to 3 nitro pills.

The poster who asked about nitro pills would be me. Thank you for your explanation of how they work. I was surprised that anyone with a blocked artery would be "popping" them due to stress rather than immediately seeking attention for chest pain. That's why I asked.

I'm not saying there were no bugs, I'm simply somewhat skeptical of the entire scenario since the passengers' story seemed somewhat different on television than what was originally reported in the review on that other cruise site. The guy appears almost gleeful telling it on tv.

This is another one of those that happened one time to one room. It wasn't wide spread as we've not heard from others. It might be true. It might not. Most of us will probably never know. One thing I know. Since it is so isolated, I'm not going to fret about it. If I open my morning paper to the obits and find my name there, then I might worry just a little. But I'm not going to worry about something that probably won't ever happen to me.

One other thing I know. The cruise lines better be on guard. With this hitting the news, I'm sure there will probably be a copycat somewhere down the road wanting to profit from this.

Has it even occured to you RCI defenders that by taking their story to the mass media it does have merit?? Some of you really take the cake.

I can see the next RCI advertising campaign.

We've got lousy food, drunk spring breakers and bug infestations, what's not to like???? Lust for Life....... Lust for Life!

Stretch

First I want to say thank you to the moderators and the members that helped to make our cruise on the Jewel a truly enjoyable experience. We had a total of 6 people in our party on the Jewel. I have never replied to a message board before but after reading about the bedbugs I thought it was necessary. On the last night of our cruise we exchanged email addresses with our waiter and assistant waiter. They were both extermely educated and entertaining. Since we had bonded we decided to ask them if they knew why the couple seated across from seemed so unhappy and why we hadn't seen them on their cruise. We were told that the couple had a problem with their tablemates at dinner. The maitre d moved them to a table for 2, this was on the first night of the cruise. They both were also upset because they said their luggage had been delivered late. We heard our waiter apologize for the luggage inconvenience and asked them if there was anything he could do. They then went on complaining about their room and location. They came to dinner the second night but left after a few minutes. Our waiter said that they got off the ship in Puerto Rico. The picture of the woman looks surprisingly similiar to the woman that sat across from us. I realize that the waiter would have never told us about the bugs, but its amazing to all of us that no one (other passengers) ever mentioned it. We all know that bad news travels fast. Sorry to go on so long but all of you that have not experienced the Jewel you are in for a fabulous surprise. Please do not let other people spoil your experience.

Has it even occured to you RCI defenders that by taking their story to the mass media it does have merit?? Some of you really take the cake.

I can see the next RCI advertising campaign.

We've got lousy food, drunk spring breakers and bug infestations, what's not to like???? Lust for Life....... Lust for Life!

Stretch

Stretch, Since you posted this right after my post, I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I will say, however, I stated it might or might not be true. The facts that the whelps showed up a couple days later don't mean a thing. Bed bug bites can take up to nine days before the whelps show up. They also can affect different people differently so one person can be bitten and have bad problems and another not so. Still all pausable that it could have happened. Still, even if it is true, it was an isolated incident and I don't worry about isolated incidents on cruise ships or anywhere else unless it is proven someone deliberately or through negligence caused the problem and that hasn't been proven here.

And the fact that it went to the mass media quickly doesn't give this any additional merit. Some people, not necessarily these people, take things like this to the mass media because they know if an uproar occurs, many companies will pay off quickly to quell it. Even though I'm not a big fan of Wendys, I'm happy they didn't immediately pay off the finger tip in the chili episode and are doing a good and open investigation which now seems to be going in another direction. But still nothing has been PROVEN. And until all the facts are in and something proven, if ever, in the bed bug case and the finger tip case, for me it is isolated, and not something I would worry about. Anyone else that wants to worry about it can do so, I just choose not to.

Disclaimer: The opinions in this post are those of the writer and in no way passes judgment on the validity of the original post or of RCI being guilty or not guilty of any wrong doing.

First I want to say thank you to the moderators and the members that helped to make our cruise on the Jewel a truly enjoyable experience. We had a total of 6 people in our party on the Jewel. I have never replied to a message board before but after reading about the bedbugs I thought it was necessary. On the last night of our cruise we exchanged email addresses with our waiter and assistant waiter. They were both extermely educated and entertaining. Since we had bonded we decided to ask them if they knew why the couple seated across from seemed so unhappy and why we hadn't seen them on their cruise. We were told that the couple had a problem with their tablemates at dinner. The maitre d moved them to a table for 2, this was on the first night of the cruise. They both were also upset because they said their luggage had been delivered late. We heard our waiter apologize for the luggage inconvenience and asked them if there was anything he could do. They then went on complaining about their room and location. They came to dinner the second night but left after a few minutes. Our waiter said that they got off the ship in Puerto Rico. The picture of the woman looks surprisingly similiar to the woman that sat across from us. I realize that the waiter would have never told us about the bugs, but its amazing to all of us that no one (other passengers) ever mentioned it. We all know that bad news travels fast. Sorry to go on so long but all of you that have not experienced the Jewel you are in for a fabulous surprise. Please do not let other people spoil your experience.

Ok, who's going to be the first to brand this first time poster as a troll????? :eek:

StretchO

Stretch, Since you posted this right after my post, I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I will say, however, I stated it might or might not be true. The facts that the whelps showed up a couple days later don't mean a thing. Bed bug bites can take up to nine days before the whelps show up. They also can affect different people differently so one person can be bitten and have bad problems and another not so. Still all pausable that it could have happened. Still, even if it is true, it was an isolated incident and I don't worry about isolated incidents on cruise ships or anywhere else unless it is proven someone deliberately or through negligence caused the problem and that hasn't been proven here.

And the fact that it went to the mass media quickly doesn't give this any additional merit. Some people, not necessarily these people, take things like this to the mass media because they know if an uproar occurs, many companies will pay off quickly to quell it. Even though I'm not a big fan of Wendys, I'm happy they didn't immediately pay off the finger tip in the chili episode and are doing a good and open investigation which now seems to be going in another direction. But still nothing has been PROVEN. And until all the facts are in and something proven, if ever, in the bed bug case and the finger tip case, for me it is isolated, and not something I would worry about. Anyone else that wants to worry about it can do so, I just choose not to.

Disclaimer: The opinions in this post are those of the writer and in no way passes judgment on the validity of the original post or of RCI being guilty or not guilty of any wrong doing.

No, your post really had nothing to do with mine and at this point nobody really knows the truth except for the OP and RCI.

The fact is that RCI, in their silence to these accusations, is starting to look quite guilty IMHO. 16_7_201.gif :eek:

Stretch

Here are my issues with the story;

recently boarded a Royal Caribbean cruise, on March 26. My wife and I paid for a guaranteed balcony room. The first night we noticed a bug between the sheets, but brushed it off and didn't pay too much attention. The next morning we found 2-3 more bugs in the bed, called for the staff to check it out.

They said they found bugs in the bed the first night.(Saturday) Then the next morning, which would be day 2....Sunday.

An officer came up and stated he was stunned as this has not happened before, while his maintenance guy states ‘let me check one spot’. Behind the headboard was a swarm of bugs, they were climbing up curtains and in our clothes in the closet.

Bed bugs only come out at night. He said they came in the morning, which would mean the sun was up....

They moved us to a non-balcony room, without mention of any reimbursements of fees. They took all of our clothes to be laundered, therefore we spent two days in the same clothes.

This would be day 2 also...how, or why would they have spent 2 days in the same clothes, if the clothes were laundered before they left the ship on Monday... that means if they spent 2 days, in the same clothes, they would be into Tuesday, and they weren't even on the ship then.

However, my wife and I tried to make the best of it, since I had had a heart attack 1 month prior, and we were on the cruise to attempt to relax.

We spoke with lower management about needing a balcony, to avoid long walking distances to the decks since I have a 100% blocked right coronary artery, it is impossible for me to walk extended distances. We would not have gone on the cruise without having a balcony room.

So, what? They expected to just stay in their room the whole time???

They stated they did not have any available and moved us to a smaller room with no balcony. Soon after, the passengers who had had the room which we were moved to, walked in while I was in bed in my underwear. Apparently, security did not take their keys from them when they were moved.

Why would someone return to a room they were no longer in? Also, this was day 2 as well.

We asked to speak to the highest member of management on the boat, since the head guest service person could not answer questions about re-imbursements, etc.

Meanwhile, due to the stress levels, my wife was in tears and I was popping nitro pills from chest pains. It took 24 hours just to be allowed to speak with a higher level manager.

If it took 24 hours to speak to a member of higher management. this would have gone into day 3, Monday.....which means they spent the night, in the other room, on Sunday night....

We decided to leave the ship at the first port in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

So they left on day 3, AFTER RCI moved them, and took their clothes to launder.

My wife is an optometrist, and paid $2400 dollars for replacement doctors to fill-in for her, so we decided we should try to salvage our vacation elsewhere. Royal Caribbean finally decided to refund our money and pay for a flight home on April 3.

They left the ship on March 28th, which was a Monday, according to his story. After they vacationed on the island, they were flown home?? FIVE DAYS LATER!! They must have had the money to go to the island, and the desire, or they would have just flown home, and settled it once they got home. They wanted to vacation on that island, instead of coming home.

Prior to leaving the ship, my wife realized she was missing items of clothes (pajamas). Management found them in the original bug infested room and stated that they were laundered and then rushed them to us prior to leaving. My wife wore these pajamas on Thurs. and Fri. nights.

If they left on Monday, where were they from Monday night to Thursday, when she wore the PJ's? In PR. Also, it says "prior to them leaving". So they carried the PJ's from Monday night until Thursday. Also, No mention was made about ANY bites while on the ship.

On Friday she started developing bumps and by Saturday she developed an incredible rash and hives on her arms, face, neck and back.

So from Monday, when they got off the ship, to Friday, or if you are being generous, Thursday, when she slept in the PJ's, she had no bites...so that's Monday night, Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night, FRIDAY morning, BINGO?

Sat. April 2 she ended up in the ER on the island of Vieques for a Benadryl shot in the butt and IV steroids.

Ok, so they went to this island off the shore of San Juan, and stayed there since the time they left the ship on Monday... so that's Monday night, Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night, Friday night, LOL....5 nights....what are the chances they really got the bugs there....I'd say pretty good.

The itching has continued and on April 4th, the bumps on her face were even worse.

April 4th, they were back in Boca....the bumps got worse? So sounds to me that they brought them home with them....

She went to a dermatologist here at home (Boca Raton, FL), on April 4th, who stated that the bumps definitely look like bites. He biopsied one bump and then stitched up the wound. Additionally, stronger medications were prescribed. As a doctor, my wife is very embarrassed and disconcerted attending to patients looking like she does. As you can expect, she and I are quite upset.

Uhhh, his wife is an optometrist, not a DR. This would have been a WEEK later....that they left the ship.

Now, my head isn't clear at all today, since I have a sinus infection and have been on med's all day, but to me, if I have it right this is really whacked. Someone correct me if I am wrong on anything, LOL....I'm sure someone will....

Sounds to me like they want RCI to pay for their OTHER vacation. If they would have just flown home, from PR, and not gone to the island, I bet this would have never happened. I think they got them on the island, and who's to say, since RCI has not issued a statement. Just doesn't gel if you ask me. I don't think it happened quite the way they are saying.........

If the bed bugs don't come out during the day then how did they see a "swarm" of them behind the bed and crawling up the curtain in the morning, like the above poster said "when the sun was out".

If the bed bugs don't come out during the day then how did they see a "swarm" of them behind the bed and crawling up the curtain in the morning, like the above poster said "when the sun was out".

while its true they are nocturnal, when disturbed they will swarm and there is always one teenager that doesn't listen to their parents....

I found bed bugs on our last cruise! I was able to give the purser's desk 8-10 so the would be able to identily the type of bug proublem. @ 11:30PM the first night the steward replaced our mattress & linen. The next day they moved us to a different cabin. I saw adult bugs on the luggage so I barrowed the vacuum, shook out what was in the night stand before the move. The purser desk asked how things were and sent us a bottle of wine.

The only person we told about the bugs was Phippipa at the Crown & Anchor ambassador. I felt that we should of been offered a small $ ship credit.

It took DH five days to develop small bumps. Right side hand 8, arm 30, 1 cheek and more. It took about three weeks to clear up. No beach, no trying on clothing the ony water he saw was the shower. I did not get any bites.

When we got home (15 minutes from ship) I started unpacking, cloths in the lanundry basket I found two bugs. Later, on line I got the information about bed bug that RCL should of provided.

I have not heard from RCL even after I talked to customer service and voiced my concerns about how they handed the move and that the other cabin may have been infected.

SOOO..... I hope you never see any bed bugs!!

to check your room : turn off all lights & turn down the bed so you can see sheets go check out the ship and then return and check your cabin and unpack...

good cruising!

Guest OBAYbee

Thank you for the nice review! A pleasure to read~

Guest OBAYbee

I challenge anyone to go look at the pictures and video on numerous news sites of this woman's back and neck and argue she over reacted!!

I may have to change my name to OBEDBUG *snicker* this particular thread has me itching and the hair standing on the back of my neck at the same time.

Archived