Bed bugs

I was doing a google search on bed bugs and ran across this review for the Holland America Ship, Noordam - They had problems with bed bugs also.

Hey, it happens.

With the increase of travel and the number of transient tourists, bed bugs are on the rise.

Even the nicest hotels in the top tourist locations get them.

Bummer. :(

http://www.cruisereviews.com/HollandAmerica/Noordam2.htm

When I heard the story on my local news, LAST Thursday, they said RCI DID pay for it all! Now all of a sudden RCI seems to have done NOTHING??? BS. This is nothin more than media spin. These news channels pay attention to what other channels report and then they jump on the bandwagon.

When I first saw this, they showed the couple, told the story, and I went on the net and looked for about an hour, and could find nothing anywhere else. NOW all of a sudden it's a BIG story? Somebody wants something....they need to just give it a rest. I don't doubt for a second that the review is embellished too.:rolleyes:

Well, from what I read, RCCL did refund the entire cost of the cruise , just not the hotel acommodations/travel/medical costs that were incurred afterwards. Which I still find kind of surprising that they didn't offer to help pay for.

I think until RCCL comments more clearly on what compensation they gave, there will be misinterpretations.

Well, from what I read, RCCL did refund the entire cost of the cruise , just not the hotel acommodations/travel/medical costs that were incurred afterwards. Which I still find kind of surprising that they didn't offer to help pay for.

I think until RCCL comments more clearly on what compensation they gave, there will be misinterpretations.

Well, in the review, the man said they paid for their travel home....I think...going back to read it now....

Anyway, who knows now....but I still say they must want RCI to pay for more than their travel, med, hotel. Funny how he didn't get bit, right?

Ok, here it is;

Here is their Post, gave me the willys:

recently boarded a Royal Caribbean cruise, on March 26. My wife and I paid for a guaranteed balcony room. The first night we noticed a bug between the sheets, but brushed it off and didn't pay too much attention. The next morning we found 2-3 more bugs in the bed, called for the staff to check it out.

An officer came up and stated he was stunned as this has not happened before, while his maintenance guy states ‘let me check one spot’. Behind the headboard was a swarm of bugs, they were climbing up curtains and in our clothes in the closet. They moved us to a non-balcony room, without mention of any reimbursements of fees. They took all of our clothes to be laundered, therefore we spent two days in the same clothes. However, my wife and I tried to make the best of it, since I had had a heart attack 1 month prior, and we were on the cruise to attempt to relax.

We spoke with lower management about needing a balcony, to avoid long walking distances to the decks since I have a 100% blocked right coronary artery, it is impossible for me to walk extended distances. We would not have gone on the cruise without having a balcony room. They stated they did not have any available and moved us to a smaller room with no balcony. Soon after, the passengers who had had the room which we were moved to, walked in while I was in bed in my underwear. Apparently, security did not take their keys from them when they were moved. We asked to speak to the highest member of management on the boat, since the head guest service person could not answer questions about re-imbursements, etc.

Meanwhile, due to the stress levels, my wife was in tears and I was popping nitro pills from chest pains. It took 24 hours just to be allowed to speak with a higher level manager. We decided to leave the ship at the first port in San Juan, Puerto Rico. My wife is an optometrist, and paid $2400 dollars for replacement doctors to fill-in for her, so we decided we should try to salvage our vacation elsewhere. Royal Caribbean finally decided to refund our money and pay for a flight home on April 3. Prior to leaving the ship, my wife realized she was missing items of clothes (pajamas). Management found them in the original bug infested room and stated that they were laundered and then rushed them to us prior to leaving. My wife wore these pajamas on Thurs. and Fri. nights.

On Friday she started developing bumps and by Satuday she developed an incredible rash and hives on her arms, face, neck and back. Sat. April 2 she ended up in the ER on the island of Vieques for a Benadryl shot in the butt and IV steroids. The itching has continued and on April 4th, the bumps on her face were even worse. She went to a dermatologist here at home (Boca Raton, FL), on April 4th, who stated that the bumps definitely look like bites. He biopsied one bump and then stitched up the wound. Additionally, stronger medications were prescribed. As a doctor, my wife is very embarrassed and disconcerted attending to patients looking like she does. As you can expect, she and I are quite upset. The cruise line has reimbursed some of our costs but they are being very difficult to deal with. I just wanted to pass this story on to you, in case it might be of interested. I did not take pictures of the bugs but I have many pictures of the bites and my wife is still covered with them. From what I have found by researching "bed bugs", the pictures shown are exactly the bugs we saw. They are blood sucking bugs that are difficult to get rid of, can spread diseases and usually the infestions grow unless something serious is done. Just by witnessing the ship's employee say, 'let me check one spot' and finding a swarm in that spot, we were pretty sure that this was far from an issolated incedent. Higher management's comment to us was that in the hospitality industry 'bed bugs are common and always will be'. Well, we've never seen them before.

So even he said they paid for their cruise and airfare. I think they must want them to pay the supposed $2400.00 his wife allegedly paid for the fill-in, and the meds. I read between the lines and thought when he said thay they decided to salvage the vacation, that they had already decided to stay on the island of Vieques?....confused about that....anyway, maybe that's why RCI will not pay for that....just a thought.

No . Bedbugs are weird that way. Tropical Rat Mites do the same thing. Generally only one person in a household will get bites or welts. The other person does not get bites, or does not have the same reaction to them. Some people are just tastier or more sensitive, I guess. :)

It's bad enough when people bring bedbugs, rat mites, and hair and body lice into the office for identification, I can't even imagine visiting an infested location! Double Yuck :D I will take plant pests anytime!

I work in the public health field and have had the experience of visiting a residence infested with bedbugs. One tip....they don't like the light so if you are looking for them think of the linings of pillow cases, mattress seams, and other nooks and crannies. I'm surprised that a new ship would have such an established population of bed bugs. Yuck.

Hmmm... this entire story sounds fishy to me.

He's 32 and has a blocked coronary artery, yet is on a cruise vacation. He's taking nitro for PAIN? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but nitro isn't taken for pain is it?

The wife's bug bite marks and rash didn't show up until they were off the ship for a couple days? Her doc did a biopsy of a bug bite and she had to have stitches? Huh??? Are they insinuating her pajamas had bugs in them and she didn't notice? Well, wasn't that smart for a DOCTOR to not notice bugs in her jammies?

I'm allergic to bee stings and can tell you that I swell up immediately upon being stung. After several stings and subsequent ER treatment, I've never had a biopsy. And, believe me, the sting sites can really swell up.

Can anyone spell l-a-w-s-u-i-t?

Hmmm... this entire story sounds fishy to me.

He's 32 and has a blocked coronary artery, yet is on a cruise vacation. He's taking nitro for PAIN? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but nitro isn't taken for pain is it?

The wife's bug bite marks and rash didn't show up until they were off the ship for a couple days? Her doc did a biopsy of a bug bite and she had to have stitches? Huh??? Are they insinuating her pajamas had bugs in them and she didn't notice? Well, wasn't that smart for a DOCTOR to not notice bugs in her jammies?

I'm allergic to bee stings and can tell you that I swell up immediately upon being stung. After several stings and subsequent ER treatment, I've never had a biopsy. And, believe me, the sting sites can really swell up.

Can anyone spell l-a-w-s-u-i-t?

LOL...I know. I saw the report with my own eyes, and it smells to me too. Personally, having seen both of them, they seemed to be enjoying their 15 minutes of fame on TV. They looked like....weirdos to me....not sure of how else to describe them.

How could a guy who just had a heart attack and has arterial blockage get clearance from his doctor to a) fly to Puerto Rico and b) go on a cruise? Maybe I'm just a skeptical person...but that's what sounds weird to me.

Thank you! I didn't want to state my objections earlier (see post #3) for fear of being slammed :D :D

We agree!!

###

Ok now I"m officially grossed out. I just did not need to know about this a few days before my cruise! Thank God I'm not going on the Jewel but who the heck knows if it's on the Enchantment! I'm gonna look at our bedsheets with a fine toothed comb!

Yuck, but welcome to the real world.With so many stops at international ports, I can see the insect problem happening. I wonder if you set off a can of gas fumigation upon boarding and leave the room if that would solve the problem . Also a sprinkle of Borac acid may do the trick it is a enviromentally safe method to kill roaches so it should kill bed bugs too.I know folks who have used SKIN SOSOFT and it works to deter blood sucking mosquitoes.My wife and I will sail on the Jewel Nov1 Boston to Ft Lauderdale.and I will try OFF. Ken ( noginforme)

Yuck, but welcome to the real world.With so many stops at international ports, I can see the insect problem happening. I wonder if you set off a can of gas fumigation upon boarding and leave the room if that would solve the problem . Also a sprinkle of Borac acid may do the trick it is a enviromentally safe method to kill roaches so it should kill bed bugs too.I know folks who have used SKIN SOSOFT and it works to deter blood sucking mosquitoes.My wife and I will sail on the Jewel Nov1 Boston to Ft Lauderdale.and I will try OFF. Ken ( noginforme)

I don't think you should just bug bomb a cabin. First of all, it's flammable, and second, it's not only going to affect just your cabin, but the ones next to it, below it, and the hall. That's what they are designed to do, get into the small spaces. Read the can, but I would never go to such a measure. You could affect someone else's health not just the bugs.

From a fogger can I have;

CAUTION; Highly Flammable Ingredient. May cause fire or explosion. Harmful if absorbed through the skin or inhaled. Do not use near food. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, clothing, and avoid breathing vapors. Do not use near electrical appliances. Do not enter treated room for 2 hours. Shut off fans and air conditioners.

I don't know....doesn't sound like a good idea to me.....

I am sure now that RCCL is aware of the problem, they have taken apprpriate measures to get the infestation under control.

One point I wanted to make:

The fact that the person who lodged the complaint was suspicious of the cabin steward because they knew where to look for bed bugs only tells me the cabin steward was knowledgeable about where to look for bed bugs - not that they knew there was a swarm of bed bugs back there and intentionally didn't do anything about it.

Unfortunately, this problem is only new to us, but I would be fairly certain that anyone who has worked in a high-volume travel industry such as cruiselines or hotels is aware of bed bug infestations - the travel industry's "dirty little secret" so to speak.

I can understand why the problem isn't discussed openly because of the very reactions that are being illicited here on this board.

The story has raised quite a few eyebrows and has caused many travelers to feel uncomfortable about staying in a strange room that has been occupied by other travelers - me included, but it is a fact of travel now.

I think being vigilant and aware is a good thing, but I wouldn't take any extermination measures into my own hands.

About 10 years ago my sister got married and she and her husband were in the middle of renovating their home. They had bought two new area rugs from one of those oriental rug places the day before their wedding. They had a suitcase open on one of them finishing up their packing before their honeymoon to Disney. They got to Disney and the next morning their clothes and room were infested with Tics. The main source was their luggage. So they called home to have my parents check the house. Their room had them and the dinning room (two places where the carpets were. They had to take all their clothes to the laundry mat. And had the house fumagated while they were away. So all it takes is one person carrying it in their luggage. And it's out of control.

About 10 years ago my sister got married and she and her husband were in the middle of renovating their home. They had bought two new area rugs from one of those oriental rug places the day before their wedding. They had a suitcase open on one of them finishing up their packing before their honeymoon to Disney. They got to Disney and the next morning their clothes and room were infested with Tics. The main source was their luggage. So they called home to have my parents check the house. Their room had them and the dinning room (two places where the carpets were. They had to take all their clothes to the laundry mat. And had the house fumagated while they were away. So all it takes is one person carrying it in their luggage. And it's out of control.

OK that's it NO LUGGAGE ALLOWED..Everyone cruises in there Birthday Suit!:D

OK that's it NO LUGGAGE ALLOWED..Everyone cruises in there Birthday Suit!:D

Hi Ernie.... you are cruising soon too..how ya been...I am on Jewel soon....

like your birthday suit plan :) :)

Emmy

We're also schedule to cruise on Jewel and after hearing this story we'll definitely check out our room upon embarking. I've always checked the mattress at the hotels knowing this existed but after actually hearing and seeing this story I'm sure we'll all be thinking twice when travelling.

Even though this could happen I find there are several things confusing about this story....

What I don't understand is how could there be so many bugs as the article said "swarming" and no one on the previous cruises were bothered by them.

If they were brought on by the people prior to this couple's cruise could they multiply so fast to have be an infestation like they said in such a short time?

They said, "Behind the headboard was a swarm of bugs, they were climbing up curtains and in our clothes in the closet". I've been on many cruises and I don't ever recall any rooms having curtains behind the bed and if they were climbing on the curtains by the window wouldn't they have seen that themselves?

Oh well, not only do we have to do some "disinfecting" when we board but now we'll have to go on a hunt for bedbugs!!!!

I've been reading the posts for a few days now. I e-mailed the author of that review (on another board) that brought this subject to light. I have not received a response due to they are doing interviews with every tv station in Florida. A lot of people who read the review do not believe them due to some inconsistancies (the other board pulled the review). I get itchy every time I think about it. I think it's odd that for as long as we've all been cruising and how long we've been on several cruise boards that this is the first time we've heard about it so dramatically. You can be sure I'll be checking when I board on 10/12/05.

Does anyone know the cabin number in which the bedbugs are residing on Jewel?

they travel between the walls .....if one cabin had them, its a sure thing they are next door too.

My son is a pilot. Stays 20 out of 30 nights a month in hotels. Believe me, bed bugs are back. :( HE has not had to deal with them, but the stories are out there. He has heard some good ones.:eek:

I dont understand why people dont believe this couple. They may be enjoying there moment of fame, but I dont doubt there buggy story at all. It happens. We usually just dont hear about it.:eek:

Also, remember, they hide in daylight. They feed at night. You wouldnt see them crawling up curtains in the daytime............o.k. I'm crawling now.. yuk

Guest OBAYbee
How could a guy who just had a heart attack and has arterial blockage get clearance from his doctor to a) fly to Puerto Rico and b) go on a cruise? Maybe I'm just a skeptical person...but that's what sounds weird to me.

Not so surprising actually. Airlines and most cardiologists allow travel in 10-12 days after a heart attack. (My aunt had a heart attack while visiting us. She had an angioplasty and flew home in 3 days. Miracles of modern medicine I guess.)

Arterial blockage is what causes a heart attack they are related.

Also, to the poster insinuating that nitro isn't for pain. Indeed it is. At the onset of angina, (constricting of the blood vessels causes this type of discomfort,) you put a nitro tab. sublingually (under your tongue) to dilate the vessel and thus relieving the chest pain. Sometimes it takes up to 3 nitro pills.

While I think perhaps the person in question might exaggerate the entire situation, I, unlike some on this thread find nothing questionable about him traveling nor do I think this story would have been reported by various news agencies had they not done their homework.

If I have a complaint at all about the CC boards, it is that SOMETIMES we tend to jump to conclusions about someone's experience and spend the rest of the time trying to discredit them.

I believe the man had a heart condition, I believe he was cleared to travel and I believe there were bedbugs. How sick he was, how many bedbugs etc etc isn't important to me.

Archived