Have you ever been stung by a jelly fish or bitten by sea lice??

:( With all the talk about Safe Sea lotion, I am wondering just how many cruisers here have experienced a jelly fish sting. If so, where were you and what month was it? DH and I are cruising at the beginning of May to Nassau and Coco Cay and I am wondering if I really should purchase some of the lotion.

Should we worry about sea lice as well??

Thank you for your help!

Trish

:( With all the talk about Safe Sea lotion, I am wondering just how many cruisers here have experienced a jelly fish sting. If so, where were you and what month was it? DH and I are cruising at the beginning of May to Nassau and Coco Cay and I am wondering if I really should purchase some of the lotion.

Should we worry about sea lice as well??

Thank you for your help!

Trish

I was stung at Coco Cay. A jellyfish (fist-sized) slipped down the top of my bathing suit and stung my ,ahem,chest wall. I screamed and had to slide my top off while ducking under water so as to not expose myself. It was a busy moment for me. The RCCL guy sprayed vinegar type solution on me and I was fine. I had a circular mark, mild sting. Not a big deal- like a bee sting. Labadee had tiny jellyfish the size slt. larger than a thumbnail that only mildly stung- not really too painful. I'm attempting to buy the sea lotion, but it is on back order, so we'll see when I get it.

Karen

I had a dead tentacle wrap around my leg in the ocean in Hawaii four years ago. I am allergic to formic acid so it was a big deal and it really hurt. That said this has only happened once in many, many times in the ocean.

I was recently stung by several jellyfish. It was January and was in the Caribbean (Antigua, perhaps? Can't remember which beach exactly.) It got me out of the water pretty fast. There were very few people around. I wanted my husband to urinate on the stings, because I had heard that it helps neutralize them (from the TV show "Friends" - maybe not a reliable source?!) He refused, so I suffered for about an hour. Felt like bee stings, or maybe less so. I was not aware that there was something you can buy. Being snorkelers, guess I'll keep some with me next time. First time any of us have been stung in a lot of beaches and snorkeling expeditions.

I had a jelly fish sting in Cozumel in October. I came out of the water feeling like someone had poured acid on my face. The beach restaurant gave me some vinegar to put on it and it was better almost as soon as it was treated.

we live in South Florida so we are cautious about sea lice - which really isn't a bite. Sea lice are jellyfish eggs and they cause an itchy rash. I think some people are more prone to it than others.

You can all swim together...come home and one family member will have it and the others won't so go figure. Somehow my daugher has always been the lucky one.

I too was stung by jellyfish at CocoCay- although it is not a big deal there as Jelly fish are apparently the norm sometimes and tehy have a spray bottle of vinegar to treat the sting. It is self serve so you can imagine how often that occurs.

After that I rented a mat and relaxingly glided over any potential jellyfish! lol

I always take a tube of Benadryl cream with me in case I get stung. Easy to carry and doesn't take up much space. Other stuff that works are meat tenderizer or vinegar, but how many of us take those along when we travel.

I wanted my husband to urinate on the stings, because I had heard that it helps neutralize them (from the TV show "Friends" - maybe not a reliable source?!) He refused, so I suffered for about an hour.
I'd rather suffer an hour. :D

We always take meat tenderizer for jelly fish stings. I am glad to know about vinegar and the new wipes. I am going to order some.

My DH was stung by a small stingray that he stepped on in Florida. REALLY hurts!

I got stung by a small jellyfish last May at Disney's Castaway Cay private island. It barely hurt at all but there were red bumps all up my arm. The lifegaurd sprayed vinegar on it and the redness was gone in 10-15 minutes and it stopped hurting right away. Everyone was concerned about my sting, but it is really not a big deal if you put vinegar on it right away.

My sister was stung by a jellyfish at Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel. The water was choppy and she jumped right in, only to jump back out 10 seconds later screaming bloody murder. I guess she doesn't have a very high tolerance for pain.

My 5 year old son also got stung by a jellyfish at Disney's Castaway Cay in July. It didn't hurt him too bad, maybe for five minutes, then he forgot all about it. Not too big of a deal, but luckily he didn't see it and doesn't know what they look like! I would have freaked!

I've had sea lice 2 X, BIG doses of it, on the trunk. It's no big deal... but looks terrible, and can be a little irritating. Both times related to alot of snorkelling.

It eventually went away (6 weeks) on it's own, no scars.

Well from reading this I have come to the conclusion that some jellyfish stings are worse than others. A couple years ago I was stung by one at a South Carolina beach. It initially seemed to be getting better, but 2 weeks later started to hurt again and my thigh was red and swollen. At that point I went to the doctor who gave me a steroid cream and it eventually got better, but I had a time with it.

Archived