NCL Star Family Suite (SJ) Question!!! :)

sas121

Anyone know of a specific SJ category Family Suite that it good? Looks like they have a bunch still available. We just booked one, but I'm not sure if there's a better side (Port & Starboard). Also some look to be really close to the door with the pool area so we are trying to be away from that. ;) Any input is appreciated!

Cheers!!

Anyone know of a specific SJ category Family Suite that it good? Looks like they have a bunch still available. We just booked one, but I'm not sure if there's a better side (Port & Starboard). Also some look to be really close to the door with the pool area so we are trying to be away from that. ;) Any input is appreciated!

Cheers!!

We sailed in 12506 and it was lovely.

I can't imagine any of these cabins being bad. On December 26,2010 I booked cabin 12028 for November 18,2012 YES a 2 year wait. Us and 3 grandkids for thanksgiving.

We leave Jan 8th for a week on the spirit. Just over 1 week and I am packed and just waiting for the time to pass by.

Enjoy cabin 12028 all cabins were available when I booked and that was my choice.

Thanks everyone!! I'm so excited! I'm glad to hear you all like the room and that area where the rooms are. We are currently in 12016. I'm kinda glad that we don't have a balcony with my two little ones. The last cruise with them, I could barely sleep I just kept having thoughts and worries about them getting on the balcony!! We never really used it because of them being so young and me being so nervous, er protective. ;) LOL This size room looks fabulous. On the Jewel, we stayed in a two bedroom family suite but my daughter was still in a crib and needed her own space. This time we can all hang together and it will be ok.

I'm hoping that we will be able to see NYC as we come "home" at the end of the trip without having to go on deck so that's why I picked this side. For departure, we will undoubtedly be on the upper decks for the sail away celebration.

Happy Cruising!!! :)

We sailed in 12016 and have booked it again! This great post has tons of pics and the pics of the SJ look just like our suite.

It is close enough to the elevators and stairs to be really convenient but not right in the traffic pattern for the pool and library.

Also, it is far enough forward that the jogging track is not overhead.

I hope you get our butler, Erlindo Doca! He is amazing.

Bon Voyage!

Cheers!!

Our PCC told us they are all great. He did say (if possible) to not book one right across from the meeting rooms & library because people look into your stateroom while sitting in the library/meeting rooms. So privacy is a bit of an issue.

We have 2 of the SJ rooms booked for next year. I am looking forward to that, but first we have 6 of the inside rooms on deck 12 booked for this March. Even with being an inside, I feel the location can't be beat!

We're booked in 12028......I was trying not to be any farther forward than I have to be in case of motion if we get rough seas on the way to Bermuda...but now I'm worried that noise may be a problem. Will we be under the running track? I'm not sure where it turns around. Also looks like we may be under one of the tiers of loungers above the pool. And also the comment now about being across from the Library as far as traffic is concerned...should I be concerned? I am so second guessing this suite.:confused:

Everybody realizes these do not have balconies!? Okay... For a suite price I'd like fresh air and ocean sounds in my cabin.

I'd love an SG (deck 12 with balcony), but too much $$. We booked an SE on Star to Bermuda.

The lack of a balcony in the SJ rooms is just fine. We will have floor to ceiling, full wall of windows. We are 2 adults and 3 kids so we can all be in a SJ suite. The SG suites on deck 12 only fit 4 so that means to have a balcony on that deck we would have to take a SG suite and an IC to fit the 5 of us which would cost a lot more + then we couldn't all enjoy Cagneys for breakfast & lunch.

There is plenty of fresh air down the hallway around the pool area of deck 12. I am thankful for the SJ suites. It is an affordable way to enjoy the benefits of a suite.

Everybody realizes these do not have balconies!? Okay... For a suite price I'd like fresh air and ocean sounds in my cabin.

I'd love an SG (deck 12 with balcony), but too much $$. We booked an SE on Star to Bermuda.

We have an SJ booked for an October cruise and the lack of a balcony isn't bothering us at all. The way I look at it, 99% of the time a hotel room doesn't have a balcony or a window you can open either. :p The pool (and lots of fresh air) is just down the hall and plenty of loungers up one level.

I know it doesn't have a balcony. I'm ok with that this time, they have huge windows and the rooms themselves are close to the outside area. I have two small children, so I kinda prefer to NOT have a balcony this go around. Just for peace of mind. ;)

The lack of a balcony in the SJ rooms is just fine. We will have floor to ceiling, full wall of windows. We are 2 adults and 3 kids so we can all be in a SJ suite. The SG suites on deck 12 only fit 4 so that means to have a balcony on that deck we would have to take a SG suite and an IC to fit the 5 of us which would cost a lot more + then we couldn't all enjoy Cagneys for breakfast & lunch.

There is plenty of fresh air down the hallway around the pool area of deck 12. I am thankful for the SJ suites. It is an affordable way to enjoy the benefits of a suite.

I agree. These look perfect for our situation as well. What are the ages of your children, if you don't mind me asking? Mine will be 2 & 3 when we sail. ;)

We sailed in 12016 and have booked it again! This great post has tons of pics and the pics of the SJ look just like our suite.

It is close enough to the elevators and stairs to be really convenient but not right in the traffic pattern for the pool and library.

Also, it is far enough forward that the jogging track is not overhead.

I hope you get our butler, Erlindo Doca! He is amazing.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks so much for your feedback!! :) I have only had great experiences with our butlers in the past so I am hoping to keep that streak going this time too! And thank you for that link. Those were GREAT pics and I am now MORE excited to be on this ship!

Happy Sailing!

Edited by sas121

We're booked in 12028......I was trying not to be any farther forward than I have to be in case of motion if we get rough seas on the way to Bermuda...but now I'm worried that noise may be a problem. Will we be under the running track? I'm not sure where it turns around. Also looks like we may be under one of the tiers of loungers above the pool. And also the comment now about being across from the Library as far as traffic is concerned...should I be concerned? I am so second guessing this suite.:confused:

The track turns around the elevator area, so your suite is under the track. On the Star they close the running track until 8 in the morning, so that may not be a problem for you.

I don't know that there would be much difference in motion between 12028 and 12018, maybe a motion expert can chime in! :D

I take a Bonine the night before and then every night of the cruise and we had no trouble!

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

I've booked one of the SJ suites on the Dawn for our 'girl's cruise' in May 2012...and my husband and I are booked in a SG (with balcony) on the Star for Sept 2012....I can't wait...

My only comment/question/complaint would be....Why didn't they put whirlpool tubs in the bathroom???? That would have made these extra 'suite' :D

Yes, we realize it and actually prefer it for the itinerary. We booked one for one of the 9 night Baltic cruises in June of 2013. With the cruise being port intensive and the cooler temps we know we wouldn't get much use out of a balcony anyway. The wall of windows will be perfect for our family.

Thanks for the great pictures, I could see where 4 people would sleep, but it left a question in my mind where the last 2 people would sleep. Looks like they have a murphy bed. Is that correct. Also one more question if you dont mind answering is there a separate walk in shower in the bathroom or is the only shower in the bathtub?

We are going to book one of these family suites regardless we like the square footage and there are 5 of us. In December we were on the Pearl and had a veranda cabin and an inside cabin, we were not happy with that and we all ended up sleeping in the balcony cabin.

I love the fact that the SJ comes with all the suite perks. Can anyone elaborate on free drinks, or free liqour in the room?

Thanks Norma

Thanks for the great pictures, I could see where 4 people would sleep, but it left a question in my mind where the last 2 people would sleep. Looks like they have a murphy bed. Is that correct. Also one more question if you dont mind answering is there a separate walk in shower in the bathroom or is the only shower in the bathtub?

We are going to book one of these family suites regardless we like the square footage and there are 5 of us. In December we were on the Pearl and had a veranda cabin and an inside cabin, we were not happy with that and we all ended up sleeping in the balcony cabin.

I love the fact that the SJ comes with all the suite perks. Can anyone elaborate on free drinks, or free liqour in the room?

Thanks Norma

You will receive one bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of regular and a bottle of sparkling water. Only the OS, DOS and Garden Villas receive unlimited soda, water and either 3 (OS & DOS) or 6 (GV) bottles of booze.

Thanks Norma

Yes, there is a murphy bed in the area with the dining table and chairs. They move them to the foot of the master bed to make up the murphy.

PP is correct about the beverages.

The gorgeous bathroom has a full tub, wonderful! and a separate shower with glass door. Both have the hand held type shower attachment. The shower also has an overhead drencher type shower head.

Wonderful wonderful suite!:D

Thank you all for the comments/titbits!! We're so excited!

We took the plunge and booked this morning a SJ for the Jan 22 2012 STAR West Caribbean - YES!! 19 days away!! :eek::D:D I've been working very hard and long and pretty much have had enough so decided to go on yet another cruise for some R&R. Husband is retired but has been working on a couple of major projects in house ... so he needs some R&R also.

We have been to 3 out of 4 ports but it doesn't matter - we are looking forward to the suite life. Don't care less about not having a balcony - the open deck is a few steps down the hall. We'll enjoy sitting in lounge area sipping wine, looking out.

For the ones of you complementing getting a SJ for family for the Bermuda runs on Dawn/Star - DO it!! Bermuda is hot, muggy, humid in the summer and I don't think you'll be sitting out in balcony a lot when ship is docked in Bermuda.

I'd spend same $$ for more room, luxurious bathroom and no balcony than a smaller cabin with balcony. Wish there are non-balcony SJ suites on all ships.

Edited by bluesea777