Review of Bahamas cruise, 12/18-12/25 with NCL Gem

marco_polo11

My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary by bringing our son and daughter and their families (total 9 of us) on this cruise from NY. Our flight from Vancouver arrived at 6 a.m. December 18, the sailing date (and our anniversary). We took cabs to the port terminal and were happy when we stepped into the NCL reception area at about 7:30 a.m. We knew it could be awhile till check-in and we just hoped to be able to store our luggage till then while we explored the Time Square area.

Embarkation (NY cruiseship terminal): We were greeted by 4 dour, mostly middle-aged women (wearing NCL jackets) who were totally lacking in grace and common courtesy. No smiles or welcomes at all. Strange for people in the hospitality trade. They just directed us to a row of metal chairs along a wall and told us to sit there and wait. We asked when we could check in and were told they didn't know yet, but we could check in our baggage at 8 a.m. After sitting a little while, a few of us got up and stood near our seats. One of the four women yelled at us to sit down. No explanation why we had to sit. We were the only ones there and weren't in anyone's way. And we weren't being noisy.

At 8 a.m. we checked in our luggage as promised. By then we had decided to just stay in the terminal as we were tired and it was cold outside. While we waited, we watched other arriving passengers being directed to sit down in the same curt manner. No other information was given out.

9 a.m. came and I wanted to know if the NCL staff knew yet when check-in would be. I approached the four women and before I could open my mouth, one of them said abruptly 'go back to your seat and sit down'. I ignored her and told another woman that I just wanted to know what was going on. We hadn't been told anything further about check-in. This woman explained that they didn't know the exact time as it was up to port officials. She estimated it would be around 11 a.m. I said that was all I needed to know, and I didn't appreciate being barked at by the other woman. I said I should be spoken to with more respect. I left it at that because I thought if I made a scene, it would jeopardize my family cruise.

While waiting for check-in, we observed more and more passengers arriving and not knowing where to go. Things started to get chaotic. The 4 women were trying to catch all the passengers and yelling instructions to them. At times they had to chase after people going the wrong way. This could all have been avoided by just having proper signage in the arrival area.

I also think a hospitality table with just coffee, juice, and muffins would have been a nice gesture for earlybirds like ourselves.

Most of all, what is needed are greeters who are welcoming, courteous, and energetic. First impressions are everything, and for us, it was a bad one for NCL.

Fortunately, once check-in started, everything went smoothly and efficiently, and we were on board by noon.

The ship: As other reviewers have stated, the Gem is a beautiful ship. Everything is well cleaned and maintained. The facilities are good. Our inside cabins had adequate space. We were thrilled with the roomy shower with good pressure and hot water. There are lots of places to eat, and one could literally eat all day, even poolside. With our young kids (4, 4, and 7) we chose to eat most of our meals at the buffet, and we were satisfied with the overall quality of the food. We also enjoyed our few meals at the restaurants with service. We found most crew and staff were friendly and courteous.

Our first day on board I contacted the hotel director, Stephen, and asked to have a meeting to tell him about our experience at the terminal. He invited me to his office and I told him about the rude and demeaning behaviour of one of the NCL greeters. Stephen was very receptive and sympathetic. He took responsibility for our bad experience. He said there was no excuse for the rude behaviour and said he would deal with it. I believe he was sincere. I thought Steve handled the matter admirably, and I was satisfied that I had been heard.

And as many have said in their reviews, Sinan is an exceptional C.D. I was amazed at his energy, his humour, and quick wit. He did a great job leading many of the activities, and he made it fun listening to his announcements.

The activities and entertainment: There were plenty of activities for all ages – a good thing, as there were 4 days at sea. One could join a seminar, play a game/sport, watch a movie, or learn a dance. Or, one could simply find a quiet place to read or laze by the pool and listen to the reggae band. Since it was Christmas break, there were 600 kids, a quarter of the number of passengers. There were plenty of organized activities to keep them busy, many of them Christmas related.

There were two showtimes at the Stardust every night. We caught the early show (7 or 7:30 pm) every night with the kids. Performers were the ship's song and dance troupe, a hypnotist, a comedian, Second City, and a Cirque-style act (2 members) called the Man from Mars. The shows were very entertaining for the most part. Of course that depends on one's personal taste. The Man from Mars especially was awesome. It was a unique combination of acrobatics, magic, mime, and humour.

There were several venues throughout the evening that had live entertainment. I particularly enjoyed a singer/guitarist by the name of Leo J – a hidden gem – who played at Magnums, then the atrium. After playing a short set he took requests and was usually able to do them. He's got a great voice and is an amazing guitarist.

The itinerary: Of the 7 days on this cruise, 4 were at sea. These days were easy to fill with the number of things to do. On warm days, it was good to just relax on the pool deck.

When we arrived at Port Canaveral, most of my family chose to just stay on the ship to soak up the sun. My daughter had prebooked the excursion to Disney World so she went there with her husband and daughter. Their time at Disney World was shortened because the ship had arrived late at the port, and the return trip ate up over 2 hours. In the end, my daughter did not think it was worth the high cost of the excursion. I can't comment on the other excursions.

We had a fabulous day at the white sandy beach at Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's own private island. The tender, a short 10 minute ride, was quick and smooth. There were water sports for those inclined. Most people just suntanned. The kids loved playing in the sand or in the shallow water. The buffet was a nice touch. So was the Caribbean band and the salsa lesson.

The third stop was at Nassau. No tender was needed. There was a small building with shops and snack bars at the port. The bonus was free wifi with a fast connection, and I was able to catch up with my emails. Excursions to Atlantis Hotel, Blue Lagoon, the beach and other water adventures were available. My wife and I just enjoyed exploring around the port area. We went back to the ship in the early afternoon and relaxed on the pool deck again.

This itinerary was about rest and relaxation. The excursions were good for some, but I think most people, like myself, were happy just to enjoy the facilities on the ship or to relax in the sun.

Disembarkation: It was painless and easy. One could basically leave at any time up till 10 a.m. We looked after our own luggage and just walked off at around 10 a.m.

All in all, it was a fabulous cruise. It was smooth sailing all the way. The weather was balmy once we got out of the New York area. We were pleasantly surprised by the mild temperature in New York when we disembarked. We had a late flight and so we spent the day in the Time Square area. We found a hotel, the Best Western President Hotel, that was willing to store our luggage for the day. The fee was very reasonable - $15 for 6 pieces of luggage – and I added a tip of $5. The hotel also arranged our transfer to JFK by SUV at a cost of $80 (plus tip)for the 9 of us. A bargain, considering it cost over $60 for each of two taxis we took from JFK to the port.

Christmas Day in New York was amazing with the crowds and the colour. The whole trip will be a memorable one. And the bad start at the port terminal is already a fading memory.

I recommend the Gem highly for its condition, its facilities, and its service.

The hotel also arranged our transfer to JFK by SUV at a cost of $80 (plus tip)for the 9 of us. A bargain, considering it cost over $60 for each of two taxis we took from JFK to the port.

Do you happen to know the name of the company that took you to JFK? How much luggage fit in the SUV? I'm looking for transportation for April.

The hotel also arranged our transfer to JFK by SUV at a cost of $80 (plus tip)for the 9 of us. A bargain, considering it cost over $60 for each of two taxis we took from JFK to the port.

Do you happen to know the name of the company that took you to JFK? How much luggage fit in the SUV? I'm looking for transportation for April.

It was not a company. It was a private vehicle arranged by the bellman. The driver and the hotel staff seemed familiar with each other though so they must do this regularly.

Been out of NY many times... the cranky people are NYC Port Terminal employees...not NCL. :p

Not these 4. They were there specifically to greet and direct NCL passengers. When I complained to the hotel director aboard the Gem, he acknowledged that those workers were employed by a company contracted out by NCL to provide the service. He said unfortunately he never gets to meet those workers. But he took total responsibility for them and said their customer service was appalling and unacceptable. He was going to deal with it, and I'm certain he will.

We had a similar experience re the "greeters" last October on the Gem. As we were suite passengers, we expected a separate check-in line. The not-so-nice ladies told us to get in the regular check-in line where we zigged and zagged for over an hour.

When we finally got to check-in, we were asked why we didn't go to the VIP check-in area. I explained that we were forced into the regular lines and told there was no VIP check in (which was totally false).

Once checked in, everything else went smoothly. I totally agree with this reviewer that first impressions are everything. Will be interesting to see what happens later this morning as we embark on the Jewel in NYC.

TracyE

We had a similar experience re the "greeters" last October on the Gem. As we were suite passengers, we expected a separate check-in line. The not-so-nice ladies told us to get in the regular check-in line where we zigged and zagged for over an hour.

When we finally got to check-in, we were asked why we didn't go to the VIP check-in area. I explained that we were forced into the regular lines and told there was no VIP check in (which was totally false).

Once checked in, everything else went smoothly. I totally agree with this reviewer that first impressions are everything. Will be interesting to see what happens later this morning as we embark on the Jewel in NYC.

TracyE

To be fair, check-in for me when it finally started went smoothly, and there was no problem with surly staff. Our problem was arriving very early (7:30 a.m.) and having to wait. That led to the incident with the witches of east end. I think for most people who came soon before check-in started around 11 a.m., it was fine.

My issue is not with the wait time. It was with the lack of information about procedures, which could have been handled simply with proper signage. With signs, the greeters would not have to constantly tell people where to go (or yell at people going the wrong direction). And of course, I was appalled by being ordered to sit down, like I was a misbehaving child when I simply wanted to ask for information. I had not had any contact with this woman prior to the incident, and we had not done anything to warrant her behaviour toward us.

Good luck to you. Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Right..port workers, assigned.

Next time, just ignore them. :cool:

Au contraire, next time, I yell back. Maybe the problem is that they ARE ignored when their rude behaviour should not be tolerated. I'm not expecting royal treatment here... just common courtesy that I teach my kids and grandkids. As a grown adult and grandfather, I resent being yelled at to 'go back and sit down' for no logical reason.

Why have such low standards of behaviour for people whose jobs are specifically to welcome and serve the customer?

For VIP check in, the key is to find the woman standing by the door with the clipboard. She will check your cabin number for VIP embarkation. Once you get past her and to the next level woman all she wants to do is check your documents and force you onto the regular line. We had this situation last month, but luckily I was not taking no for an answer as I knew there was VIP check in and the woman by the line finally told me to find the woman by the front door with the clipboard.

Embarkation (NY cruiseship terminal): We were greeted by 4 dour, mostly middle-aged women (wearing NCL jackets) who were totally lacking in grace and common courtesy. No smiles or welcomes at all. Strange for people in the hospitality trade. They just directed us to a row of metal chairs along a wall and told us to sit the

9 a.m. came and I wanted to know if the NCL staff knew yet when check-in would be. I approached the four women and before I could open my mouth, one of them said abruptly 'go back to your seat and sit down'.

I ignored her and told another woman that I just wanted to know what was going on. We hadn't been told anything further about check-in. This woman explained that they didn't know the exact time as it was up to port officials. She estimated it would be around 11 a.m. I said that was all I needed to know, and I didn't appreciate being barked at by the other woman. I said I should be spoken to with more respect..

Welcome to NY, right?

To other visitors, as Marco Polo learned the hard way: don't be put off by Politeness Girl and her friends. Just ignore their attitude. If you're not happy with what they tell you, find someone else. In spite of what they may have insinuated, the USA is a free country. Just because they have an NCL uniform doesn't mean they are deputized police. Unless it's on takeoff or landing, the second someone tells me to "return to your seat and sit down" I'm asking for her supervisor's name and telling her I don't like the way she's talking to me.

Half the New Yorkers out there probably would have cursed her out, so she may have been responding to that. Really, par for the course in NY.

3 more weeks and I get to fight with her. Can't wait! :)

Stephen is a great hotel director and an asset to NCL.

Is that you, Steve? :)

Kidding.. no, seriously, I am really impressed with him. Even more so if I get evidence of an actual followup to my complaint, and find out the person in question was reprimanded. I don't need to see anyone fired here. But it would be good if she learns the error of her ways. She didn't show a bit of remorse for her behaviour.

Kidding.. no, seriously, I am really impressed with him. Even more so if I get evidence of an actual followup to my complaint, and find out the person in question was reprimanded. I don't need to see anyone fired here. But it would be good if she learns the error of her ways. She didn't show a bit of remorse for her behaviour.

LOL! Met him on the Sun in June at a Silver Latitudes event. He really listens to the good and the bad. I was surprised to see him after the party outside our door way talking to our cabin steward. He was there to praise him!

• 4 weeks later...

I woulndn't be surprised to see Steve lurking about on the forums, he told us he was a Cruise Critic member. We were on the Gem in December and lucky enough to have dinner with him and some of the other officers. Just a wonderful night. He always has a smile on his face and a willingness to help. Can't wait to get back to our ship in December!

I woulndn't be surprised to see Steve lurking about on the forums, he told us he was a Cruise Critic member. We were on the Gem in December and lucky enough to have dinner with him and some of the other officers. Just a wonderful night. He always has a smile on his face and a willingness to help. Can't wait to get back to our ship in December!

Is that you, Steve?! :p

So sorry you had to go through this at the start of your cruise. Flying , and I am sure feeling tired, that is a terrible way to have things start off. The NYC attendants or what ever you call them are nasty. I don't think I ever met a nice one. I am not talking people behind the counters, they are great, but those one you first see standing near door and lines. They are just crazy in the head.

Thanks, Kosi and Turning40. Yes, it was a nasty start to our trip... worse, it was our anniversary. Those 'attendants' are the ones I mean, Kosi. As I said, Steve (HD of the Gem) took responsibility for them as these workers were hired by a company contracted out by NCL. Hopefully, he did follow up on this.

Turning40, we walked from the ship to the hotel. We each had a large roller bag, and we had 3 small kids with us, but we managed just fine on the 20 minutes stroll.

Archived