Waterproof pouch?

GinaRz

I am looking for some sort of waterproof or underwater pouch to take with us in port. I am hoping for something small that could fit money, camera, passports (haven't fully decided if we will take them into port with us), and maybe my phone. I was thinking either a waist pouch or a cross body bag. May be Jet-skiing or snorkeling and want to be able to take it in the water. Any suggestions?

I guess that leads me to another question. Since there are four of us, it may be a PITA to take all 4 passports. Would it be reasonable for me to just take a copy of each into port?

You do NOT need to take passports ashore in the caribbean.....no country requires a passport for cruise passengers on a Caribbean route.

Credit cards, your room key, and even cash can get wet....water does NOT hurt them! Even your DL is waterproof!

I found my waterproof pouch at a West Marine Store. They had different sizes. I'm sure Wal Mart (in Sporting Goods), Bass Pro Stores or Cabela's would have them also. Before I used mine, I tested it by putting a folding up napkin in it, put it in a sink full of water, and weighted it down so it was submerged in the water overnight. When I checked it the next morning, the napkin was dry. Was so glad it worked. I put my Camera (non waterproof), money, ship card, etc. in it. I'll have to say that I never went into the water for any long period of time with it, but it did get wet and never had any issues with water getting into it.

We always take one for snorkeling or swimming if there isn't going to be anyone to watch our belongings while we're in the water. We have two - one that hangs around your neck and another that fits around the waist like a fanny pack. You can find some that will accommodate a small point and shoot camera - and who want's to go anywhere without a camera? Google for "waterproof pouch" or look online at The Waterproof Store - lots of different styles at reasonable prices. While you don't need to take your passport ashore in most cases, it's still a good idea to take a copy just in case there's some emergency that prevents you from getting back on the ship. We also like to have a little cash with us for small expenses, plus a piece of paper with the phone number of the ship's shore representative in port - just in case, so the waterproof pouch is great.

Our solution is a waterproof camera, and a waterproof cigarette pack sized case for id, money & AmEx that we got at Sports Authority. We carry photocopies of our passports in a ziplock bag for ID.

My 2 cents - we have a jetski and a boat, and we never put anything into them that we're not willing to get wet and/or lose.

You might want to Google "Splash Caddy" which is a waterproof fanny pack system sold by many major travel companies such as Magellans. This system uses a nylon outer fanny pack which holds an inner plastic pouch (it has a triple seal) that works very well as long as the user remembers to properly seal that inside liner. This system is used by many SCUBA divers and is relatively inexpensive. That being said, we would not generally carry heavier items like cameras and certainly would not take a passport into the water since we always leave our passport securely locked in a ships safe (when on cruises) or in a hotel safe.

Forty+ years of international travel have taught us that a Passport is the most valuable item one has on trips and we do not carry the document unless it is absolutely necessary.

Hank

Hank

You might want to Google "Splash Caddy" which is a waterproof fanny pack system sold by many major travel companies such as Magellans. This system uses a nylon outer fanny pack which holds an inner plastic pouch (it has a triple seal) that works very well as long as the user remembers to properly seal that inside liner. This system is used by many SCUBA divers and is relatively inexpensive. That being said, we would not generally carry heavier items like cameras and certainly would not take a passport into the water since we always leave our passport securely locked in a ships safe (when on cruises) or in a hotel safe.

Forty+ years of international travel have taught us that a Passport is the most valuable item one has on trips and we do not carry the document unless it is absolutely necessary.

Hank

Hank

Hank, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!!

Take a laminated copy of the information page of your passport ashore only....one cruise line asked us to take the passport number and town of issue with us.... we also take a copy of our insurance paper.

We treat the beach much as we would if we were on a land based holiday....anything valuable stays in the hotel safe. The ship's card is waterproof and not valuable if stolen; an EU or US, Canadian etc passport is worth thousands.

Jo.

Archived