2013 European Cruises

whatnot

Has anyone figured why Seadream is so expensive in the Med, compared to their Caribbean fares, and compared to other lux lines? Supply/demand, high port charges, expensive booze (and a clientele that drinks them out of house and home :D)?

We booked our upcoming Seabourn cruise on one of their bigger ships (450 pax), in a 300 sqft (plus veranda) cabin, for about 2/3 what the similar SD itinerary cost (at the SD GTY rate). But the choice was due to schedule contraints rather than cost. Am I missing something about finding the lowest SD fares?

Maybe its a 110 pax vs 450 pax thing.

Have wondered the same thing Ragnar. Our Seabourn Spirit trip was significantly less expensive for a similar product. Curious minds want to know.:eek:

I don't know the reason but I would venture to guess that it is simple math. SD has two ships and SB has 5 ships, two of which carry 4 times more passengers than SD.:confused:

But they also had Myself and Ragnar to contend with.:eek::D

Are docking fees based on vessel length, tonnage, or pax load? Or does any ship taking up a berth pay the same fee? That could put SD at a disadvantage compared to larger vessels.

(Sorry about the thread hijack...)

Based on past experience on freight and tank ships, all of the above (except pax load) play a part. Short version, the smaller ship pays less dockage. I do not know if that is still valid but I suspect it is.

Thanks Jim for that explanation. Makes sense to me! Guess we still don't know why the prices seem higher. I still think on some voyages SD goes to some more exotic ports and docks in places some of the other ships don't.

But to get this thread back on subject, we just canceled the Sept 2012 Black Sea cruise and made someone very happy! That cruise has a waiting list so someone gets our spot. Then we booked the May 2013 Black Sea Cruise. Our friends who could not go in Sept have also booked the May 2013 cruise so we will have a group of six on that cruise. Actually saved some money even with the $50 cancellation fee because the 2013 cruise was less than the 2012 cruise. We're really looking forward to that cruise! But it does seem sooo far away!

Thanks Jim for that explanation. Makes sense to me! Guess we still don't know why the prices seem higher. I still think on some voyages SD goes to some more exotic ports and docks in places some of the other ships don't.

But to get this thread back on subject, we just canceled the Sept 2012 Black Sea cruise and made someone very happy! That cruise has a waiting list so someone gets our spot. Then we booked the May 2013 Black Sea Cruise. Our friends who could not go in Sept have also booked the May 2013 cruise so we will have a group of six on that cruise. Actually saved some money even with the $50 cancellation fee because the 2013 cruise was less than the 2012 cruise. We're really looking forward to that cruise! But it does seem sooo far away!

Which May '13 cruise did you book whatnot?

We are looking at the May 11 to 18, 2013 ... as a matter of fact I think DJ's DH will be sold on it by Sunday:p

I know nothing.......

Okay Schultzie!

Club Director Daniel had only nice things to say about you while onboard SD1 last week.

Thanks for sharing Jason and Ellorie ...

It was that really nice donation to the crew fund.:eek::D

Too funny Jim! DJ's DH and I didn't make our donation to the crew fund until we were back on land. I thought he made it and he thought I made it ...

DisneyJen, I think it was your posts that helped me convince my husband to try SD in the first place! So, in a way, you're kind of responsible for our SD addiction! I figure that's worth at least one toast with a bottomless glass of champagne in the TOY Bar! :p

Of course, I'm also dying to meet the great Jim Avery, who shares my fascination with SeaDream passengers who clip tiny portable fans to their bosoms. :eek:

Hey thanks Knot. I dont get called "Great" very often. I will have to tell Lois she needs to show more respect.:eek::eek: I keep hoping that there will be a Cruise Critic charter of SD so I can meet all the nice people on this board.:D

But you're doing the Black Sea cruise, right? I can't wait for that trip report!

No we're leaving from Venice, down the Dalmatian coast, through the Corinth Canal, then a few Greek islands and Ephesus before ending in Athens.

Archived