Tummy tuck and cruise

KRW71

ooo.. I understand your concern. I had major surgery on Dec 23rd and was concerned if I would be ok for our Feb. cruise. Thankfully I am.

I had major surgery once that caused me to go home with 62 staples position like a belt under my ribcage. Once the staples were out after two weeks, I had about another 2 months before I felt anywhere close to normal.

Not sure if that info helps you at all. I am sure your fitness and strength level before going into surgery will play a big part in your recovery. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Yes I know I know I will need to take it easy on the food and drink :( Bummer. I am also working out regulary right now so that I will be good shape on Operation day and hopefully that will make recovery go faster.

TT day is Feb. 20 and we cruise on June 10. I was reaaly wanting to get the TT done sooner but my hubby wanted to get a couple of ski trips in.

I have been reading about people still wearing compresssion garments for months after and I really on't want to have to do this while in the caribbean but if I have to I will.

Had a frind that lost about a 100 lbs at 51 or so..and did everything right exercise wise and kept it off but was real bad with the sagging everywhere and she did a huge body tuck/redo..you know everywhere almost below the neck...I think compression was over after a couple months...but ask doctors..porbably like everything varries..you will be much better but not tops yet I would guess...every surgery is different..darn...I have an old surgery that still causes some trouble sometimes but alternative was not being here..and not making a comment on doing this, think it is wonderful actually to have as option..just take care..and so what, you can do alot as part of your recoop..Sarah

Thanks Sarah. and congrats to friend's weight loss :)

12 years ago I had twins and I also have a 3 year old. I will also need to have my muscles repaired. Having babies can do a number to your body. No matter how many situps I do, with muscles that are torn apart, it won't do any good.

I am looking forward to having this done and looking forward to having a great time on our cruise.

Thanks Sarah. and congrats to friend's weight loss :)

12 years ago I had twins and I also have a 3 year old. I will also need to have my muscles repaired. Having babies can do a number to your body. No matter how many situps I do, with muscles that are torn apart, it won't do any good.

I am looking forward to having this done and looking forward to having a great time on our cruise.

I have been debating getting one also. I know exactly what you mean about how babies wreak havoc on your body!! my first was 9 lbs 10oz and my second was 11 lb 2 oz..... there is no way besides surgery that those muscles and skin flab is going to go!

I have a lower body lift and was in compression for 12 weeks I think. Then light compression for a couple months. It was summer Houston too, and I survived. Should be ok even if you have some compression (varies from doc to doc).

Swelling was an issue for me off and on for over a year. That will be up to your body. I really didn't tolerate salt well. Just make sure to bring a fair bit of stretchy things just in case, I imagine there is a lot of salt in the food.

You should be cleared for swimming by then...but depending you might choose not to. Dont take any risks.

Being in good shape is really important. I ended up having major, 1 in 100,000 type complications and I would have been in serious trouble if I wasn't in awesome shape. As it was, I recovered much faster then they thought possible with those complications. Its the best prep you can do!

Anyone ever take a cruise after having a tummy tuck? No medical worries as it will be 15 weeks post op just wondering about swelling, scar, etc. and others' experiences.

Can't speak for tummy tuck surgery, but I had major back surgery (4 pedicle screws inserted in my back) middle of Oct 2006 and cruised middle of Feb 2007 (first cruise). Only stipulation my doc made was to wear my back brace part of each day.

Thanks everyone. Yes I know I know I will need to take it easy on the food and drink :( Bummer. I am also working out regulary right now so that I will be good shape on Operation day and hopefully that will make recovery go faster.

TT day is Feb. 20 and we cruise on June 10. I was reaaly wanting to get the TT done sooner but my hubby wanted to get a couple of ski trips in.

I have been reading about people still wearing compresssion garments for months after and I really on't want to have to do this while in the caribbean but if I have to I will.

I work for a plastic surgeon. You will be good by your cruise. A full recovery for a tummy tuck is anywhere between 6-8 weeks. You do have to wear a compression garment or at leat 4-6 weeks post op, and that helps with swelling ( so wear it a much a possible for that time). After the tummy tuck your going to have to take it easy. Nothing to strenuous for at least 4-6 weeks as you are healing. Your going to have stitches that are internal, so if you think your okay on the outside, just remember that you néed to heal on the inside a well. Any questions, just ask.

I decided to post again and be very specific about what you are going to go through.

I had a tummy tuck because I needed to have skin to graft elsewhere (long story and the skin graft was a piece of cake)) and decided my abdomen was a good place to take it from as I had a lot of loose skin because of weight loss. My plastic surgeon described me as being in superb physical condition with little body fat and excellent skin condition.

First of all, this is the most painful thing I have ever undergone (childbirth, orthopedic surgery, other surgeries) and I have a very high pain tolerance. If you are offered an pain pump, do it. Even with the pain pump and oral pain meds, the pain will still be there; especially the first 24 hours.

You will not be able to get yourself out of a chair (forget a bed, use a recliner) without a great deal of pain. Be prepared for BAD lower back pain.

You will be totally restricted from any exercise (other than a shuffling walk) for the first week. Other than walking, you will be restricted from any other exercise for about the first month. That means all your toned muscles will be tightening up.

After you are allowed to start doing general exercise (nothing targeting the abs), you will be shocked at how limited your flexibility is. Example, lie on your back and try and lift your arms over your head and touch the floor behind you. You will not be able to do it without pulling and mild pain.

All the muscles in your body will be affected as the ab muscles have been repositioned and tighten. Once cleared to do ab work, it will take about a month to 6 weeks of gradually increased exercise to somewhat approach any previous fitness level.

As you retone the ab muscles, you will have muscle pains elsewhere in your body as the ab "cables" pull on your other "cables" and their "pulleys" (joints).

When discussing my surgery with my surgeon I mentioned I was planing a cruise. Like you, I was told three months until I pressed him and described what I hoped to do on the cruise. Nothing outrageous - snorkeling, taking the trail down to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, walking along the hilly uneven terrain that is part of any shore excursion in the Caribbean. After listening to me, he said he would prefer 6 months before I did any of the listed activities.

I did delay the surgery until after my cruise and once I went through the recovery process, I blessed him for saying six months.

I did go on a land vacation 3 months after my surgery, and in spite of my diligent working out, I was surprised how sore I was in the ab area from just rolling around my suitcases, walking city streets and climbing the ladders in a battleship I toured.

So be very careful on what tours you may plan. Ziplining would be a really bad idea. Snorkeling may also be a problem is you like to bend and dive under the water as the resistant of the water will cause your muscles to work harder. Bring any muscle relaxers and pain meds you may have. You wil probably have to use them.

Thanks for sharing your experience Homosassa. Yes I am prepared as I can be for pain. Not looking forward to that part at all. It sounds aweful but I still want it done. My recliner is ready and waiting.

Like I said, If it were not for the skiing I would be recovering right now.

I do hope to do some more adventurous excursuions but I will listen to my body and only participate in the parts that I feel up to.

Cozumel - Dolphins, Push, pull swim

Belize- Beach break, Bannister Island, Relaxing

Roatan - Victor Bodden private tour, zipline, monkeys, beach

Grand Cayman - stingray sailing

With the dolphins I can just do whatever I feel comforatble with so no worries there

Ziplining is my biggest concern but at least I will be in a harness and just sort of in a sitting, hanging position gliding down.

I will have to keep the scar covered which is no big deal.

Right now I am sore from Body Pump class at the gym. trying to get all those muscles in tip top condition.

Luckily I have a great husband ready to take care of me. and take care of our 3 boys and the house and our 2 cats.:)

I found that I had no problem doing things; it was only when I went to turn over in bed at night or sit up n bed that I realiize that I must have overdone something . The night and day after I took a "moderate" rated tour through Mammoth Caves comes to mine. Ouch!!!

KRW71 (krista), I "know" what you mean when you said you had TWINS, and then a 3 year old. I was in that boat quite some time ago. I had twin boys, then "11" years later, another son. My "three" sons.:) I still have some stomach skin/fat, but at my age, I'm not going to worry about having surgery, and everyone says I look good for my age. I know exercising will help some, but does not get rid of the skin, so I HIDE it.:)

Archived