Will we be denied boarding?

Spoiledliz

Yes, it is 100% correct that a closed-loop itinerary such as this does not require a passport for US or Canadian citizens.

Just in case a newbie Canadian cruiser reads this and thinks that they don't need a passport to sail out of the US... wrong. All Canadians need a passport to leave and re enter Canada, and to sail on cruises out of the US; and any other country for that matter. Which makes me wonder... does a Canadian need a passport to sail from say Montreal or Quebec City if they are returning to the same port making it a closed loop cruise? I am assuming that they do as it is an American immigration law, not a cruiseline rule.

Just in case a newbie Canadian cruiser reads this and thinks that they don't need a passport to sail out of the US... wrong. All Canadians need a passport to leave and re enter Canada, and to sail on cruises out of the US; and any other country for that matter. Which makes me wonder... does a Canadian need a passport to sail from say Montreal or Quebec City if they are returning to the same port making it a closed loop cruise? I am assuming that they do as it is an American immigration law, not a cruiseline rule.

There's only one cruise that I know of that is round-trip either of those cities, i.e. not a back-to-back - RCI rt Quebec City. And since those cruises stop at St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, yes, you do need a passport, as you are stopping in France.

Sorry, you are quite right and I should have not made the comment. It's just that my sister went through something similar a couple years ago, waiting for child support owed that she really needed, while the ex was vacationing in Tahiti with his new girlfriend. Kinda touched a raw nerve.

Again, sorry. I hope everyone wins in this case.

I don't think you need to apologize. The OP opened this up on a open public forum. I think the original post had many people thinking the same thing.

• 4 years later...

Was your brother able to take the cruise?? I am going through the same situation with my brother in law right now and we are all super worried about him being denied boarding! We take our cruise in February! Did your brother have any troubles getting on or getting off the ship?? Praying everything worked out and it does for us too!! Thanks!!!

Was your brother able to take the cruise?? I am going through the same situation with my brother in law right now and we are all super worried about him being denied boarding! We take our cruise in February! Did your brother have any troubles getting on or getting off the ship?? Praying everything worked out and it does for us too!! Thanks!!!

This thread is 4 years old. I would not expect an answer.

Couldn't hurt to try. There are not many experiences online to pull from except this one.

You are responding to a 2012 thread. Information relevant in 2012 may no longer apply in 2017.

Your brother in law should speak with his attorney. If he has a court order for back child support the chances are really good that he will indeed be denied boarding. Homeland Security may run the passenger manifest against outstanding warrants.

It makes no difference who is paying for the cruise - the optics look very bad for somebody to take a cruise while behind on child support.

Edited by BlueRiband

While you may not be denied boarding, since only the cruise line checks your ID when boarding, and CBP does not get the manifest until shortly before sailing, and usually won't start to look through it until the next day, if there is an outstanding warrant regarding the support, and the jurisdiction where the warrant is issued wishes to extradite, he may be detained upon disembarkation, for extradition back to the home jurisdiction. CBP has all cruise to screen passengers, and outstanding warrants will be accessed.

While I understand that this is an old thread, I was just trying to see if things worked out in this specific situation.

In my brother in laws case he has no outstanding warrant against him and is making payments monthly to pay his arrears, in addition to his regular child support payments. When speaking to the courts, they told him there shouldn't be a problem since he is on a closed loop cruise and has been making regular payments for 8 years, however, we still were a little uncomfortable and wanted to see if anyone in the same situation had in fact been able to take the cruise. Hence me posting on a 4 year old thread.

If anyone has first hand experience with this I'd love to hear from you!

While I understand that this is an old thread, I was just trying to see if things worked out in this specific situation.

In my brother in laws case he has no outstanding warrant against him and is making payments monthly to pay his arrears, in addition to his regular child support payments. When speaking to the courts, they told him there shouldn't be a problem since he is on a closed loop cruise and has been making regular payments for 8 years, however, we still were a little uncomfortable and wanted to see if anyone in the same situation had in fact been able to take the cruise. Hence me posting on a 4 year old thread.

If anyone has first hand experience with this I'd love to hear from you!

No first hand experience but if the courts are telling there shouldn't be a problem then there shouldn't be. He is currently compliant and it doesn't sound like extraordinary collection methods are being used, such as suspending licenses, etc.