Meal Options

Teacher_91

In one of our ports (Juneau Alaska) we have a PACKED day and will not be returning back to the ship until about 9:00 p.m. We've signed up for late seating but it's doubtful that we will be able to make that. When you miss your regularly scheduled dinner what are the alternatives besides the specialty restaurants. I don't think it would work in this case since we'll be all 'trashed out' from a day of excursions. If it matters, we are sailing with Princess in July 2012.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

I see from your itinerary, that the ship SAILS at 9pm, so you're going to need to be back on board by at LEAST 8:30 if not by 8:15. There's a possibility that on that night, the dining will be open seating for dinner, meaning you can just go to the MDR when you get back on board, and the dress code will be quite casual. On our previous cruises, when sailing was later than normal, say 9 or 10pm, the main dining room was just open seating because so many people were coming back after late tours and didn't make their early seating. This is what might be going on for your cruise.

We have a packed day in Juneau too--with Princess also. Our problem is lunch not dinner--room service sounds good after such a busy day. I think we will be having a big breakfast and taking a picnic lunch--tuna, crackers, granola bars etc.

I see from your itinerary, that the ship SAILS at 9pm, so you're going to need to be back on board by at LEAST 8:30 if not by 8:15. There's a possibility that on that night, the dining will be open seating for dinner, meaning you can just go to the MDR when you get back on board, and the dress code will be quite casual. On our previous cruises, when sailing was later than normal, say 9 or 10pm, the main dining room was just open seating because so many people were coming back after late tours and didn't make their early seating. This is what might be going on for your cruise.

Awww... this is great info to know! Thank you for replying! :)

We have a packed day in Juneau too--with Princess also. Our problem is lunch not dinner--room service sounds good after such a busy day. I think we will be having a big breakfast and taking a picnic lunch--tuna, crackers, granola bars etc.

Check to see what the laws are for taking food off the ship. Due to agricultural laws you're usually limited to pre-packaged things - sandwiches, fruit, etc. are no-no's. The ship will have signs posted as to what's allowed.

Your tuna and crackers are the packaged ones, right? Not a sandwich you ordered from room service.

Archived