Circumnavigation of oz!!

jenno10388

Here's a webcam focused on Sydney Harbour http://www.kroooz-cams.com/portcams/so_pacific/sydney.php According to the official Sydney Harbour port schedule found at http://shipschedule.sydneyports.com.au/marineoperations/movements.asp QM2 is currently scheduled to arrive Sydney Harbour at 5:15am on Feb. 14, berth FB3, departing at 23:59pm Feb. 14.

The current time in Sydney is 6pm Feb.13 (2am Feb 13 in NY). Cheers, -S.

It's now 5am Feb 15 in Brisbane (2pm Feb 14 in NY).According to the official port schedule at http://www.qships.transport.qld.gov.au/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

QM2 is scheduled to arrive at Port Brisbane at 3:30am start time Feb 16, departure start time at 18:30hrs. (I don't know if the 1 3/4 hour delay in leaving Sydney will have any effect on arrival time in Brisbane.)

Sunrise is at 5:31 am, so hopefully we'll be able to see the ship arrive at the harbour ....any recommendations for a local webcam? Thanks, -S.

Hi Salacia

Both the Qld Govt website and the Brisbane Port's website are still showing "as scheduled" for QM2 visit to Brisbane

The 3.30AM time shown is probably for when she is scheduled to pick up the Pilot - which happens quite a long way away from the point of docking (still out at sea, off the town of Caloundra and outside Moreton Bay )

I don't believe there are any land based webcams near where she will berth at Fisherman's Island (which is not an island any more :)) - it is a very industrialised area at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Barry

Hi Buzzaw. Thanks...that's too bad about no local webcams. Guess I'll rely on the ship's webcam to show me Port Brisbane.:)

Yes, I think QM2 will not actually be docking until 0730hrs & departing 1830hrs Feb 16.

http://www.portbris.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=RoN-0aldehc%3d&tabid=157

I wonder if the ship will arrive in Brisbane with a huge sign saying "Jess, nevermind, I was only kidding!":D

Salacia

Well - QM2 is berthing in the commercial port of Brisbane (ABSOLUTELY nothing to see there ) - but the normal cruiseship terminal is another 8 miles or so further up the river -- too small, river too narrow and low bridge for ship like QM2 to get to it.

My limited experience of WC's tells me that the smaller the ship - the better!!! Even QE and QV are too large for many of the Worlds "ports"

Barry

I am interested to find out what Cunard travellers think about that sign. I had visions of fans getting to the harbour to take a photo of that trademark sign only to find a personal message plastered over it. I thought it was a bit tacky, but am wondering if I am on my own? I also heard that the couple knew the person who ran the advertising in Australia for the Cunard group but that might be a rumour.

It is my understanding that Cunard provided the sign - all for good fun I guess, on Valentine's day - and, as they say in the Classics, any advertising is good advertising!!! I can imagine that it has drawn a LOT of attention to QM2's arrival into Sydney Harbour - both here and Internationally - something that I am sure Cunard would be pleased about!! :)

When Oriana arrived into Sydney in November 20120 on her World Cruise, she sported a giant "moustache" across the bows of the ship - as November that year had been renamed "Mo-vember" in support of a Charity for Men's health.

Barry

Oh no Barry, don't get me started on Movember. There were some spectacularly ugly examples of men who should not wear moes around during that month. I would have paid up just to get them shaved off.

I just thought Cunard was above that standard of publicity. They have a strict dress code for passengers then allow stuff like that. Just not something I would have associated with them.

Regarding Port Brisbane, quoted from http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/news/this-berth-stinks-as-queen-marys-man-goes-against-grain/story-e6freqwo-1226273191870

...Commodore Christopher Rynd was less than impressed.

"The guest experience is paramount and I think a proper terminal would certainly make a better impression," Commodore Rynd said.

"Only in Brisbane (do we berth next to a grain terminal) I'm afraid to say. It could be a bit better."

Despite the occasional cloud of grain blowing over the ship and the ever-present whiff of sewage from Luggage Point, those who stayed on the ship during her brief stopover were not particularly bothered.

I guess it's a good thing the ship doesn't have a smellcam:) Anyway, that web link above does have a couple of nice videos of the Brisbane port stop if interested. -S.

I suspect that the grain terminal provides far more economic benefit to the City of Brisbane, the State of Queensland and the Commonwealth of Australia than any number of irregular visits by Cunard ships would. Meanwhile, the proper cruise Terminal at Dockside does provide excellent facilities for the two regular cruiseships - P&O's Pacific Dawn and Princess' Sun Princess - that run turnaround cruises out of Brisbane.

Barry

Hi Buzzaw. Yes, i can see how that makes economic sense.

I have never been to your country, so I am using the historic circumnavigation of Australia to learn about Austrailia. Please forgive if I ask stupid questions, and please correct any remarks I make out of ignorance.

Ok...on to the next port: Whitsunday! Having read about the coral reef, I'm guessing that QM2 will not dock there? Tender off-shore perhaps?

Cheers/thanks

Salacia

I have never been to your country, so I am using the historic circumnavigation of Australia to learn about Austrailia.

Ok...on to the next port: Whitsunday! Having read about the coral reef, I'm guessing that QM2 will not dock there? Tender off-shore perhaps?

Sorry if it may have sounded like I was having a go at you -- I was actually having a go at the QM2 Commodore. Every time Cunard comes to Brisbane they whinge about the port berth they are allocated. Cunard is often allocated industrial berths around the World- as are all largish ships. I have just learned that Queen Victoria will be berthing at the industrial berth of Filipstad in Oslo in May - instead of the delightful cruiseship berth at Akershus (which is to be used by Emerald Princess). Were Cunard too late to make a booking for Akershus?? Would they care to contribute to the construction of a more "suitable" (to them) berth in Brisbane?? :mad:

The Whitsunday Islands are a group of "resort" islands - which form part of the Inner reef of the Great Barrier Reef. When people use the term "Great Barrier Reef" , I believe that they are more thinking about the outer reef - which lies 30 klms to 100 klms or so off the mainland. The "Whitsundays" (as they are commonly known) are all a short boat ride from the coastal town of Shute Harbour, which serves as a service town for the islands. Most local cruiseships seem to anchor off and tender into Shute Harbour - but International ones seem to anchor off and tender into Hamilton Island

You can see the general location of these 2 places here

Barry

Sorry if it may have sounded like I was having a go at you -- I was actually having a go at the QM2 Commodore. Every time Cunard comes to Brisbane they whinge about the port berth they are allocated. Cunard is often allocated industrial berths around the World- as are all largish ships. I have just learned that Queen Victoria will be berthing at the industrial berth of Filipstad in Oslo in May - instead of the delightful cruiseship berth at Akershus (which is to be used by Emerald Princess). Were Cunard too late to make a booking for Akershus?? Would they care to contribute to the construction of a more "suitable" (to them) berth in Brisbane?? :mad:

The Whitsunday Islands are a group of "resort" islands - which form part of the Inner reef of the Great Barrier Reef. When people use the term "Great Barrier Reef" , I believe that they are more thinking about the outer reef - which lies 30 klms to 100 klms or so off the mainland. The "Whitsundays" (as they are commonly known) are all a short boat ride from the coastal town of Shute Harbour, which serves as a service town for the islands. Most local cruiseships seem to anchor off and tender into Shute Harbour - but International ones seem to anchor off and tender into Hamilton Island

You can see the general location of these 2 places here

Barry

Buzzsaw, no worries mate: no offense intended, no offfense taken :)

Thanks very much for the links. Looking forward to learning more about your country as I continue my on-line virtual voyage.

Regards,

Salacia

Looks like they may tender into Airlie Beach. A bigger town , also on the mainland, just a little way from Shute Harbour. More to do and see at Airlie Beach . Webcams here

http://www.mywhitsunday.com/webcams/

Barry

Wow! I'd love to be swimming in that water right now! No sharks there I hope? Not too fond of fish with big teeth :eek:

Archived