Circumnavigation of oz!!

jenno10388

I'm hoping that when people see on the news te ship and the little story to go with it at the end they will say it will be back on what bet date and more people will say 'let's go see that ship' so should be a big turn out! First time to

Melbourne ever! Although it is a Monday so people will be working, but when the QE2 used to come it always drew a big crowed.. Also when the other queens have come it's been pretty special and had had news coverage! Nothing in the way of fireworks though I don't think. Melbournes an odd port as the ships dock at station pier and the general public isn't allowed on the pier at the time so viewing of the ships can only be done at distance and mainly u can only see the back of the ship.. You can walk further up the beach and see it but the terminal on the pier blocks the view of the lower half of the ship. I personally love when ships dock in Sydney and Auckland as the public can get up close and personal! Great photo op's! Melbourne, not so much.

Barbara I book the cruises myself as I have not found flight centers annharvey world in Melbourne to be very knowledgable with cruises.. I seem to know more so go figure!? There is a place on bay street port Melbourne called cruise about and they only deal with cruises, but I have never used them but they do have a website so check it out! Hope this helps. My main advice is look after yourself and do all your own research and you will get yourself the best deals as I have myself on all my cruise occasions..

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. You are correct about doing own research....I have checked with the two main ones you say and have recently heard about the third.....have emailed them regarding current cruise...they were high compared to what we paid. Do you usually book online direct with the cruiselines?

Barbara

I'm hoping that when people see on the news te ship and the little story to go with it at the end they will say it will be back on what bet date and more people will say 'let's go see that ship' so should be a big turn out! First time to

Melbourne ever! Although it is a Monday so people will be working, but when the QE2 used to come it always drew a big crowed.. Also when the other queens have come it's been pretty special and had had news coverage! Nothing in the way of fireworks though I don't think. Melbournes an odd port as the ships dock at station pier and the general public isn't allowed on the pier at the time so viewing of the ships can only be done at distance and mainly u can only see the back of the ship.. You can walk further up the beach and see it but the terminal on the pier blocks the view of the lower half of the ship. I personally love when ships dock in Sydney and Auckland as the public can get up close and personal! Great photo op's! Melbourne, not so much.

Barbara I book the cruises myself as I have not found flight centers annharvey world in Melbourne to be very knowledgable with cruises.. I seem to know more so go figure!? There is a place on bay street port Melbourne called cruise about and they only deal with cruises, but I have never used them but they do have a website so check it out! Hope this helps. My main advice is look after yourself and do all your own research and you will get yourself the best deals as I have myself on all my cruise occasions..

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. You are correct about doing own research....I have checked with the two main ones you say and have recently heard about the third.....have emailed them regarding current cruise...they were high compared to what we paid. Do you usually book online direct with the cruiselines?

Barbara

No problem! I've even had someone in flight centre ask me 'what is Cunard?' when I asked for a brochure!! For my first cruise we also consulted them and the girl dealing with us really had no clue... On booking a cruise. She knew nothing but basic basic knowledge.. She could not answer our questions. I'm shocked when I read here how helpful ther TA's are eg: organizing upgrades, gifts, better deals etc. I've just never come across this...

I book directly with the cruise line, as you have complete access to everything and you can amend your booking at any time yourself without using the middle man. When I booked my upcoming Cunard voyage we started with a B2 catergory and now I have a P1! That's just from

Me keeping my eye on canards site daily and checking prices and new released staterooms etc.. 'you gotta be in it to win it' do the saying goes.. I would not rely on any TA to do this for me.. I actually would love to be a cruise consultant, I think it would be the only job I would feel wasn't really 'a job' as I love looking and comparing cruises just as a hobby! I'm forever trying to get my friends and family in ships! I just love it! Unfortunatly here in melb, none of the cruise lines have offices, and there is barely any cruise only TA's and the ones that are require years of experience in the TA industry. Yes I could start at flight center as they train there staff from scratch.. But I have no interest in non cruise related holidays.. I wanna book cruises all day everyday!

Trust yourself and take care of yourself I say, you have your best interests in the highest regard and you will get yourself the best deals if you are willing to invest the time!

Ps: I have also found that when you see deals on 3rd party websites when you contacts them about it, their info is out of date and they have sold out yet haven't mentioned it yet.. Cruiseaway.com is the worst at this, as much as I love browsing the site... I always get excited contact them only to hear back two days later saying 'sorry all booked out' yet the deal remains listed for weeks. Use the cruise lines all the way!

Cheers, steve

So excited seeing her here finally everyone! Yay!! Thanks for the photo uploads, I've also been watching the cam on my iPhone on my work breaks and have been taking screen shots! Haha! What a beautiful looking day in Fremantle! How exciting for everyone boarding and anyone who's just going down to view her!

Not much longer for me, starting to run through what I need, what I've already organised! Anxious yet excited! :)

Slightly mixed feelings for me today! We were booked on the circumnavigation of oz, and would have boarded in our home port of Fremantle today. However we changed our booking a few months ago to do the Sydney - Hong Kong leg instead so now we have to wait another 4 weeks to board.

On the other hand, I can see Fremantle Harbour from the top floor of my apartment building and it was wonderful to watch this morning and see the helicopters circling and the small boats gathering, knowing that the Great Ship is here and we'll be on her soon!

Thanks Jenno. BTW, if anyone is insterested in watching her sail away, Freemantle Port has QM2's scheduled departure time as 17:00 Feb 8 (which I think is 6am, Feb 8, New York time). http://www.fremantleports.com.au/Operations/Harbourcams/Pages/Harbourcam9.aspx

Bon voyage to all on board! :)

-S.

I dont :rolleyes:

How come? I am curious. The roll call is perfect for building up the excitement, well, for me anyway.:pI do check the Cunard boards too, but until Sydney anyway, the roll call is my first check.

How come? I am curious. The roll call is perfect for building up the excitement, well, for me anyway.:pI do check the Cunard boards too, but until Sydney anyway, the roll call is my first check.

No particular reason really... I just enjoy the Cunard board as I would assume more people are going to browse it rather than just our little Aussie roll call..

According to Port Adelaide (http://www.flindersports.com.au/pdf/CruiseShipSchedule.pdf,) QM2 is scheduled to dock at 8:00 am on Feb 11. If I have the time figured out accurately, it is now 6:30am on Feb 11 in Adelaide (3pm Feb 10 in NY). Not sure if it will show her approach, but the Outer Harbor webcam can be found here http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/latest_news/web_cameras/

(International time zones are not my forte, so please correct me if I am mistaken:)

According to Port Adelaide (http://www.flindersports.com.au/pdf/CruiseShipSchedule.pdf,) QM2 is scheduled to dock at 8:00 am on Feb 11. If I have the time figured out accurately, it is now 6:30am on Feb 11 in Adelaide (3pm Feb 10 in NY). Not sure if it will show her approach, but the Outer Harbor webcam can be found here http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/latest_news/web_cameras/

(International time zones are not my forte, so please correct me if I am mistaken:)

yes, it's the Outer Harbour cam. I remember seeing it last year. There are a handful of people gathering there now.

From a tracking site it says 9am. Weather is cool, heavily overcast and she won't be in sunshine. A shame but better than 40 I guess. If 9am is correct then she is an hour and 7 minutes away.

Thanks for that link Salacia. :-) I will take a screenshot for the photo book I am making of our trip.

The arrival into Adelaide is lovely, with all our pristine beaches on show. Unfortunately once on land, it is a run down, fully operational port that has been neglected. There is a by election in that area today and all the funding promises are being made. But the trip into the CBD requires people to ignore the first few minutes as you drive through the port.

Quite a few people already gathering by the looks of the outer harbour cam! Slightly overcast weather today.

Steve

Heavily overcast and showers. Seems clearer by the Port but CBD and Hills are a little damp.

Love this webcam!

Archived