Which tour is not to be missed?

billyelliot

IMHO this is so personal and based on interest.

I guess is 300 bucks/person your total budget? Or you can only splurge for one big one?

I'd first start saying hopefully you already made the sacrifice and doing an inside cabin and saving that money.

Bus ride to Mendenhall is cheap and a must do in Juneau, not expensive and very pretty.

In Ketchikan a stroll and to the totems is also cheap.

In Skagway the train runs about 90 bucks.

Than the big splurge is very personal; whale watching, flightseeing, helicopter?

Whale watching + mendehall has big value IMHO, everything else gets pricey.

As tours are so expensive, around $300 each. If you could only afford one, which would it be.........

Which ports ?

You need to choose an excursion that appeals to YOUR interests, not ours! Are there a couple of tours that interest you but you can't decide on one? If so, ask for feedback on those specific tours.

Personally I love whale watching and go every year so if I was in Alaska I'd whale watch. I've attempted Denali flight seeing twice but have been weathered out, so I'd try that again. I have no interest in dog sledding, ziplining or fishing. What interests you ?

Also, you can have a perfectly enjoyable trip and take ZERO excursions! There are free and inexpensive things to do in every port. Sometimes a car rental for the day will give you the opportunity to see several sights instead of just a couple and will cost under $100, ie Juneau and Skagway.

What we do sometimes, besides scouring the CC boards, is to go in and check out excursions on the cruise line website that you’re traveling on. You can recreate many of them yourself and save some money. It will also give you idea of what’s available in each port. Once you determine which ones you would consider doing, check out the coupon books to see if it would be worth purchasing one of them. There are many 2 for 1 deals although you need to book these early as most vendors limit the number of seats for these deals. We like whale watching too.

http://www.toursaver.com/

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

Thanks for input.... It was really just an interest question, but as I am planning my trip I have looked at pricing. Firstly the one iv seen that is £325 each ($495) is Dog sledging in Juneau. This combines a helicopter trip.

I can't decide if this is worth sacrificing others.

CHIPMASTER. has wrote a good few trips down which sound very interesting to me, all within budget.

Can dog sledging be done anywhere without the helicopter? As I'm sure it's that, that bump the price up. Thanks everybody xx

PS The itinery on Hal includes Juneau, Skegway, and Ketchikan.

What you may end up getting from your question, is the tours people took. You will find most did enjoy them and found them worthwhile. BUT, I suggest you take some time and read descriptions and shore excursion lists, what are YOUR priories for this trip??

since you mention the glacier dog sledding- as you probably already know, it is the most canceled tour in Alaska. If that is your only tour- then it's really necessary to book this at your first opportunity, AND have other tours selected for back ups and phone numbers handy.

Glacier dog sledding is on all snow, not ice. You do NOT drive any sleds, two sleds are tied together, with 1 driver (employee), 2 riding in the basket, and 1 on breaks. You do switch off. It is a short ride compared to the overall time. You have a lot of "standing around time" compared to dog sledding time. This tours gets consistant rave reviews.

The ONLY way for a glacier dog sledding is with a helicopter transit.

Billyelliott, you have to decide what you think would be the 'one' thing you couldn't leave Alaska without seeing. For me, it was whale watching, which I did in Juneau and eating fresh salmon, which I did in Skagway at a salmon bake. Budget Queen was awesome and led me to many ideas/tours....Thank you again. I'm heading to Alaska again this September...don't try to do it all at once, you'll be back! I didn't believe people when they told me that either, but here I am. The beauty is unbelievable. Try renting a car in Skagway. It's reasonable and we drove up through the Yukon and to emerald lake...it was well worth the rental. We stopped at Liarsville at a salmon bake and it was by far the best salmon I've ever tasted. Don't forget to hit the Red Onion Saloon in Skagway and the Red Dog in Juneau....both fun!

Wish I was going to AK again. We were there in Sept and took some awesome inexpensive tours. In Skagway we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier on the MGT bus, took the tram to the top of mtn in the town. Walked around Ketchikan and despite the rain had a great time. Of course I went to the Quilt shops and that made my day.LOL Have fun on your cruise, but make sure you do the things that you want to.

Which tour is not to be missed?

The one(s) that most interest YOU.

As tours are so expensive, around $300 each. If you could only afford one, which would it be.........

Some tours are expensive, some are relatively inexpensive. Many activities (not tours) are very inexpensive or free.

Plain and simple, it truly depends on your interests.

DH and I went on a National Park Service walking tour of Skagway, which was excellent - and free. We also did a hike.

By any chance are you a geo-cacher? If yes, use that as a framework in the different ports to create a walking tour - free.

Thankyou Budget Queen. No I didnt know that the dog sledge was the most canceled tour in Alaska. Looks like that is off mt list! I'm not too bothered with the helicopter part, as iv done that a few times in other parts of the world.

The car hire sounds like a good idea, as does the Whale watching.

I am expecting the inside passage and Glacier Bay to be the high lights.

At this stage I think it will be a one and only trip, as the world is a vast place with many interesting sights, which we are busy ticking off our list.But never say never.......

I really do like this part of the trip. Getting all ideas and thoughts from people all over the world. Thank you.

At this stage I think it will be a one and only trip, as the world is a vast place with many interesting sights, which we are busy ticking off our list.But never say never.......

I really do like this part of the trip. Getting all ideas and thoughts from people all over the world. Thank you.

OHHHHHHHHH watch out- "my" trip in 1994 was supposed to be the "one time" as well.

I'm an addict, I'm an addict, I'm an addict- with 2011 being trip 30 to Alaska. :)

Archived