HAL to Sail 27 Cruises to Canada and New England in 2012

Krazy Kruizers

Holland America Line to Sail 27 Cruises to Canada and New England in 2012

ms Veendam repositions to the growing cruising region, increasing the line’s capacity by 17 percent

Seattle, Jan. 12, 2012 – Canada and New England itineraries are known for their historic seaports, stunning scenery and culinary delights, and in 2012 Holland America Line will offer 27 cruises on three ships — ms Maasdam, ms Eurodam and ms Veendam — to ports along the eastern coast of North America.

Scheduled May through October, the itineraries range from seven to 15 days and also visit the region during the height of the fall foliage display as summer turns to autumn and leaves change to vibrant hues of red, orange and gold. Veendam repositions to the region in 2012, increasing Holland America Line’s capacity and making it possible for more travelers to experience one of nature’s most impressive showings.

“Our Canada/New England itineraries are always popular, and by adding Veendam to the area during the fall foliage season more travelers are able to see this beautiful region during this special time of year,” said Richard Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “Maasdam is there throughout the summer as well, making it the perfect cruise for friends, couples, solo travelers and families looking to explore an interesting travel destination that’s close to home.”

Maasdam begins the season with a 15-day northbound cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Montréal, Québec, Canada. During the voyage, guests will visit Charleston, S.C.; Newport, R.I.; Bar Harbor, Maine; Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; Gaspé and Sept-Îles, Saguenay; and Québec City, Québec, before arriving at Montréal. Highlights include an overnight call at Québec City, Holland America Line’s highest rated port of call, and the premium line’s only call at Sept-Îles this season.

From May 12 through the Sept. 29 departure, Maasdam offers 15 seven-day sailings between Montréal and Boston, with calls at Québec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax and Bar Harbor. The itineraries feature scenic cruising along the St. Lawrence River and make an ideal option for families looking to take a summer cruise without traveling abroad.

Maasdam concludes the season with a 13-day sailing Oct. 6 from Montréal to Fort Lauderdale. Ports of call include Québec City, Saguenay, Baie-Comeau, Gaspé, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax and Port Canaveral, Florida.

During the height of the 2012 fall foliage season, Eurodam will sail three 10-day cruises in September and October between New York and Québec City. The ship will call at Newport, Rhode Island; Gloucester (Boston), Mass.; Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown and Saguenay. The itinerary also features an overnight call at Québec City and scenic cruising along Saguenay Fjord.

On Oct. 14 Eurodam will depart on a 13-day cruise from Québec City to Fort Lauderdale. The cruise begins with an overnight aboard ship in Québec City and then sails for Saguenay, Baie-Comeau, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Gloucester (Boston) and Newport.

Veendam begins its Canada/New England season with a 13-day cruise from New York to Montréal Sept. 2. The ship will call at Gloucester, Bar Harbor, St. John, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Gaspé, Saguenay and Québec City along the way. Guests on this itinerary will enjoy an overnight call at Québec City before arriving at Montréal.

In September and October, Veendam will sail five seven-day itineraries between Montréal and Boston. Ports of call include Québec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax and Bar Harbor, with scenic cruising along the St. Lawrence River.

Engaging Experiences On Board and On Shore

Guests can maximize their experience in Canada/New England with optional shore excursions, from history and culture to wilderness and cuisine. While onboard, guests can enjoy enriching activities such as cooking demonstrations at the Culinary Arts Center, pampering at the Greenhouse Spa & Salon or learning the latest online techniques in the Digital Workshop powered by Windows.

For seven-day Maasdam and Veendam itineraries, guests can combine two seven-day sailings for an extended 14-day roundtrip journey, allowing extra time ashore to hunt for antiques, explore charming fishing towns, learn about local history and sample the region’s fresh seafood. Fares on 14-day Collectors Cruises reflect up to 10 percent savings.

Fares for Maasdam’s Canada and New England cruises begin at $749; Eurodam’s cruise fares begin at $1,499 and Veendam’s fares start from $1,349. Guests looking for a family-friendly vacation can book a seven-day cruise date with reduced third and fourth fares. All fares are per person, double occupancy.

For more information and cruise fares, contact a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (1-877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.

- www.hollandamerica.com -

That's fabulous. I've been raving about those itineraries for years.

The seven day Boston to Montreal to Boston is one of HAL's best short itineraries IMO

That's a lot of cabins to fill but HAL surely must know by now how much demand there is for cabins on this route.

Looking forward to seeing all those Dam ships paying a visit here!:)

And we look forward to another wonderful visit to Charlottetown.... :) One of our favorite stops along this itinerary.

You live in a very beautiful place with very friendly people.

HAL's interest in this area is growing. It's almost as strong as their Alaska program.

The Maasdam and Veendam should do very well as they are the smallest ships of the major cruise lines operating regular schedules in the northeast. I hope they have great success with it.

*sigh of relief* I was afraid HAL was going to eventually substitute Veendam for Maasdam on this itinerary. Nice to know Veendam is in addition to Maasdam, and not instead of Maasdam.

It'd be nice if HAL could put Veendam on a 7 day roundtrip itinerary to NE/Canada from New York, as they did for the recent Bermuda runs.

We wou;d consider another Canada/New England cruise but we no longer have direct flights to Boston.

Have you considered First Class on Amtrak?

We did the Acela to New York last summer to meet friends for a visit and it was terrific. We boarded in Boston and it was about 4 1/2 hours to NYC. Very easy. First class, they served drinks, breakfast or lunch, handled our luggage for us... it was convenient.

*sigh of relief* I was afraid HAL was going to eventually substitute Veendam for Maasdam on this itinerary. Nice to know Veendam is in addition to Maasdam, and not instead of Maasdam.

It'd be nice if HAL could put Veendam on a 7 day roundtrip itinerary to NE/Canada from New York, as they did for the recent Bermuda runs.

ABSOLUTE, HUGE sigh of relief. I had been assured they were not substituting Veendam for Maasdam but until I saw official announcement I remained 'queasy' about it.

It's a great use for Veendam as she, like Maasdam, can fit under the bridges where few other cruise ships can. To be able to sail from Quebec City to Montreal is a big bonus. IMO

We would not complain for an overnight in Quebec City but we do enjoy our turnaround day every summer in Montreal.

Have you considered First Class on Amtrak?

We did the Acela to New York last summer to meet friends for a visit and it was terrific. We boarded in Boston and it was about 4 1/2 hours to NYC. Very easy. First class, they served drinks, breakfast or lunch, handled our luggage for us... it was convenient.

The Amtrack trains out of Pittsburgh are business classand go through Philadelphia with a change of trains there.

Would make for a very long day.

Seems your flights make for very long day, also.

I'm sorry you have to endure such unpleasant travel to get to the ships.

I would not like it anymore than you or most of us would.

Maybe if you did the b-to-b again, it might be worth it for 14 days on the ship with whatever pre and post you might do?

Why not drive to Harrisburg and take the direct Keystone? Direct to Penn Station and stops in Newark too.

We live in HBG and do it often, limited mobility wouldn't be a massive hassle train-wise (we travel with a walker-abled friend some).

Just a thought.

Edit: Assuming of course your hubby can drive. I hope it works out-we'd help if possible! In fact pay for my cruise and I'll come pick ya up and drive us all to the pier! ;) (I echo sail's thoughts above too)

• 2 months later...

Archived