Costa Concordia Unrecoverable

trintrav

Would you sail on a ship that had already sunk once?

Quite a few ships have been restored to service.

The Isle of Man Steam Packet's IRISH SEA EXPRESS, collided with a cargo ship on approach to Liverpool in February 2007, was seriously holed and took on a lot of water coming quite close to sinking. I saw her at an alarming angle shortly after the mishap.

However, she was repaired and renamed SNAEFELL. During summer 2011 she was sent to Greece for a charter which turned sour and is currently stuck out there, but operated between 2008 and 2010 on routes out of Douglas.

Many of her passengers would have been aware of what happened to the vessel as locally it was no secret, but it didn't appear to effect her loadings even though passengers had a choice of two other vessels to travel on.

Most forget and move on.

But I imagine salvaging / repairing the COSTA CONCORDIA. I think her future lies in being recycled!

The insurance companies will probably pay off Costa, and then they will own the ship/wreck. Then the insurance companies will look for the best deal to recover something, either from wreckers/salvagers or from refurbishers. The final decision on whether it will ever sail again for some line may be some way down the road after all the calculations have been made.

i would bet it will be a write off. if the ship doesnt slide into deeper water first. just look back into history. the ss normandie. it was a 1000 ft long super liner that rolled on its side after a fire was sparked and fire boats pumped the upper works with water. it was a young state of the art ship but it was a total loss. the interior was ruined and the very exspensive engines were ruined. the same will be true for the concordia.

Clearly the ship is totaled. I don't think it's possible to refloat her. If it partially sank upright, it would be possible. But I don't think it's possible to roll this upright now and refloat it.

Most likely, they will attempt to pump as much oil off as possible. It might be then dragged out to sea and sunk in deeper water. Or, they could cut it up for scrap.

A long shot would be to support it with airbags, and tow it to deep water on it's side. Then somehow try to right it, make temporary repairs and partially pump it out, so that it could be towed to dry dock. It would actually be a cool project to see, but pretty unlikely I think.

My money is on recovery. Given the age of the asset vs its expected life, I think they will refloat it and send it to dry dock for repairs. A brand new ship sank to the third deck while still at the ship yard and they finished it.

If you patch the damage, which is now out of the water and displace the water with large "balloons" wouldn't it right itself ? With a hundred ships, does Carnival Corp. self-insure the asset up to a high level ? Just thinking.

Hi All,

Having watch the ships salvage programmes on TV its amazing just what these guys can do.

As the main hole is above the water just now it might be possible to plate it and pump out that section, righting the ship is going to be another matter,

if it is saved as a ship you might find it sold of to the far east.

yours Shogun

i would bet it will be a write off. if the ship doesnt slide into deeper water first. just look back into history. the ss normandie. it was a 1000 ft long super liner that rolled on its side after a fire was sparked and fire boats pumped the upper works with water. it was a young state of the art ship but it was a total loss. the interior was ruined and the very exspensive engines were ruined. the same will be true for the concordia.

That really is not a fair comparison. The Normandie had been seized by the US government and was almost entirely stripped by the time of the fire.

The government did not want to invest the time or money in continuing to retrofit the ship as a troop carrier and therefore she was scrapped. Furthermore, the French Line was in no state to take the ship back and, had they even been capable of regaining control of the Normandie, would have still had just as much difficulty sustaining a profit with her (She was quite unprofitable and much of her operating costs were subsidized by the French government).

Also, fire damage is much more extreme than water damage.

As for the Concordia, the true extent of the damage is unknown. Depending on the extent of the damage resulting from the initial collision, the biggest issues will be electrical. Much of the machinery can probably be salvaged. As, unlike the Normandie, it was not severely burned.

While the ship truly can be salvaged, the final outcome will be determined by insurers.

Though, as I stated on another thread, I really can't see Carnival/Costa completely writing off a six year old ship that has yet to pay for itself.

She may very well be righted, partially rebuilt (maybe an alteration to her profile to distance the ship from her life as Concordia) and sent to another market and brand.

My money is on recovery. Given the age of the asset vs its expected life, I think they will refloat it and send it to dry dock for repairs. A brand new ship sank to the third deck while still at the ship yard and they finished it.

If you patch the damage, which is now out of the water and displace the water with large "balloons" wouldn't it right itself ? With a hundred ships, does Carnival Corp. self-insure the asset up to a high level ? Just thinking.

Some of the diving pictures being shown---I wonder if they hit on the starboard side too when she swung around on anchor and that's what ended up sinking her. Looks like there is hull damage on that side.

I'm betting she's sold for scrap.

If the machinery has been exposed to sea water, it might not be salvageable. My company works with similar equipment, albeit on a smaller scale, and introduction of water, particularly sea water into the equipment means it's destroyed and needs to be replaced, not simply cleaned. Add in probably having to rewire not only the electrical but also the electronics (two separate but codependent systems) on the ship, and the loss might be higher than the depreciated value.

They will also look at repair time in relation to the maximum value of the business interruption cover. When the dust settles it will very possibly be less expensive for the insurer to pay out on the loss and scrap the ship.

It won't be up to Costa, it will be the call of the insurer. It's no different than getting into an collision with your car--your insurance determines the value of the loss and whether they will total or pay to repair it.

That said, if is determined that there is criminal culpability on behalf of the officers, the insurer might invoke the criminal acts clause and refuse to cover the loss at all.

So will passengers be able to get their belongings back?

When the US Airways flight landed in the Hudson, US Airways went to great lengths to reunite the passengers with their belongings, including a diamond ring that was hand delivered to its owner by a US Airways executive--even though they didn't legally have to. I would hope Costa would take the same steps, but I won't hold my breath.

The technical possibilities of a rebuild notwithstanding, the question of 'who would sail her' comes into play. Compared to past incidents, how many millions around the world have seen this play out, on TV and online? Even if they changed the name -- even if they sold her to another line -- it would be difficult to hide the fact that she is the now-infamous Costa Concordia. Perception is reality, and this could be a tough perception to overcome.

What a loss!!!!!

Is this the final decision of the progress that the ship will not be recovered, but only replaced?

The ship cannot remain there, I think - it obstructs the harbour entrance and the coast, and it's an environmental problem.

I heard that there will come the Smit company to pump the fuel out of the ship...

Do they scrap it? :confused::confused::mad::mad:

I know that it makes no sense to speculate, but...

My friends,

Sadly, the ship has sustained severe damage to the hull. The entire engine room and more the 50% of the ship lies beneath the surface of salt water.

The ship would need such extensive repair that my guess is she is worth more scrapped then her worth after being renovated, brought back to service minus the expense.

I wish the best for this once grand lady.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

from poster Runswithflyingdolphins on the CC HAL Boards whose BIL works for Titan salvage, he was called to the ship by Carnival Corp:

I just talked to my brother-in-law and he just got off the ship after being on it for a while and says, "The pictures make it look a lot worse than it really is. The entire ship will have to be re-upholstered and such. I'll probably get all the stuff out [stuff being beds, chairs, fuel, etc.], patch `er up, pump the water out, and tow her to where ever Carnival wants me to, and then get paid." He also said that it will probably cost Carnival $150 million+ and take him a few months.

He said he can't really say any more (in terms of how it happened and what he's seeing because it's being investigated) and the above way he will be handling things is preliminary (of course). But he says if the same thing were to happen to him (he has his unlimited masters license) he would have "high tailed 'er outta there." Now he is probably extremely busy, and called my wife to let her know he was safe, so I probably won't talk to him for a few days. But I'll keep y'all updated.

Google Titan salvage dot com, very interesting company!

Well ,but some salvage progresses have been successfull - remember the Nordlys of Hurtigruten - it will be in service again in March...

But the damages weren't that high...

So the ship will be replaced form there, but not repaired in a yard, because the effort would be too high to repair it, and it would be more senseful to built a new one. Am I right?

Even if she is scrapped, I don't see her being scrapped where she currently lies, I think they are gonna have to salvage the vessel and get it out of there regardless of their ultimate plans for her.

Why? This ship is massive and it would take forever to scrap her on her side in water.

I would think that this ship will be restored and will sail again. What will be considered is the cost or replacing vs the cost of repairing and also the time involved for each project. If restoration could be completed in a shorter window of time it will begin to produce revenue as soon as it's back in the water. For that reason - even if the restoration cost was actually more expensive it may be the best option. The loss of revenue because it's not sailing will be a huge factor. Just my thoughts.

Archived