Costa Concordia Unrecoverable

trintrav

Carnival Corporation says that the ship will be out pf order at least until Nov 30, 2012, maybe longer- so I assume that the ship will be recovered and brought to a yard, there are only afraid people who think that she will slip off.

So I think it's possible to repair the ship.

The example with the Pride of America is a very good one! :)

Also the Sapphire Princess burned down during her building period (ca. 40 ),and now she sails in perfect conditions... ;)

So don't be pessimistic.

I just heard on the news that rescue divers have been pulled out as the ship is moving and could slip into 200ft. of water. This was just on our local news here in Houston, so my apologies if it's been reported on the boards somewhere already.

What a tradgedy.

Most of the ships are build up from sections that travel afloat to the final shipyard were they are assembled. In the present situation if they cut it will be easier to re-float it. It depends on how much damage is made on the hull.

Another option will be to close the gaps caused by the rocks, fill air bags on the side underwater and use the remaining fuel on board and ballast tanks to shift it to the side that is out of water. Also they can close couple sections up to the water level and remove the water and this will make the task easier.

I just heard on the news that rescue divers have been pulled out as the ship is moving and could slip into 200ft. of water. This was just on our local news here in Houston, so my apologies if it's been reported on the boards somewhere already.

What a tradgedy.

The ship moved 9 centimeters. Sounds like they are going to resume the search when they can. The stability and movement of the ship will all depend on the seas staying calm. Hopefully any movement continues to be very very minor.

The ship moved 9 centimeters. Sounds like they are going to resume the search when they can. The stability and movement of the ship will all depend on the seas staying calm. Hopefully any movement continues to be very very minor.

Thanks you for that info, they didn't go into how much it had moved, only said that it had.

Thanks you for that info, they didn't go into how much it had moved, only said that it had.

I've been following European news sources for this because the US coverage is lacking. I saw a similar report on CNN that indicated that it was starting to move and the anchor was quite dramatic about it. When I looked at Sky News I saw that the rescue officials said it moved 9 centimeters horizontally and 1 centimeter vertically. Obviously they don't want to endanger the lives of the rescuers if it did start moving more.

I really hope some effort will be made to reunite passengers and crew with their personal belongings but I wouldn't hold my breath... :(

(No basis for this) but I suspect she'll be salvaged, completely redone, and transferred to another Carnival Corp. subsidiary (perhaps in Australia or somewhere else a distance away from Italy). I'd feel very confident saying that nobody will ever again sail on Costa Concordia as "Costa Concordia."

I have been of many, many cruises and the Life Boat drill is always done just prior or while we are leaving port. Is Marine Law different in Europe. It appears that the Life Boat drill was not done on the Friday. Just a query. Also, during the Life Boat drill we are told to bring our meds with us. I trust, If I have time, I would bring my money, passport and credit cards. Most of this stuff I could easily put in my chest (bras) before putting on the life jacket. So all they would see is my pills. Jewelry and other things can easily be replaced. Clothes and anything else should be covered by their insurance. I believe it would be a lump sum for each traveller. All and all you are alive to cruise again and that is all that counts.

So Dave I am certain that each passenger will received a token cheque for items lost. But it will probably be a blanket amount which means the same amount for each passenger. How can you prove that you have 3000.00 worth of jewerly in the safe. I certain would be very surprise if one gets their jewerly back. But then having faith may be the trick.

How can you prove that you have 3000.00 worth of jewerly in the safe. I certain would be very surprise if one gets their jewerly back. But then having faith may be the trick.

This is what homeowners' and/or personal effects' insurance is for.

The cruise line would not be responsible.

This is what homeowners' and/or personal effects' insurance is for.

The cruise line would not be responsible.

Unfortunately some people don't think to include their jewelry on a rider, and most home owners policies have fairly small limits on valuable articles coverage.

It wouldn't matter to me, I'm not a jewelry person, but I do have other valuable articles covered under riders.

http://wirtschaft.t-online.de/costa-concordia-unfall-des-kreuzfahrtschiffs-schockt-die-branche/id_53202112/index?news

http://translate.google.de/#de|en|Der%20Unfall%20des%20Kreuzfahrtschiffs%20%22Costa%20Concordia%22%20kostet%20die%20Konzernmuttergesellschaft%20Carnival%20bis%20zu%2095%20Millionen%20US-Dollar%20(rund%2075%20Millionen%20Euro)%20Umsatzausfall%20allein%20im%20laufenden%20Jahr.%20Das%20havarierte%20Schiff%20werde%20%22mindestens%20bis%20zum%20Ende%20des%20Gesch%C3%A4ftsjahres%22%20am%2030.%20November%20au%C3%9Fer%20Betrieb%20sein%2C%20wenn%20nicht%20l%C3%A4nger%2C%20erkl%C3%A4rte%20der%20gr%C3%B6%C3%9Fte%20Kreuzfahrtkonzern%20der%20Welt.%0A%0A

just have a look - this ponts out the chances of the salvaging of the ship. ;)

Can it be refloated? Well if you remember Pearl Harbor all but two or three of the ships sunk were refloated and saw action in WW II and the damage was significantly more but is it worth it? My bet is the cost analysis will dictate the final outcome. We'll see. JM2C.

In the latest Carnival Corporation statement regarding guidance on their stocks due to this accident, it seems to allude to the fact that Concordia may return to service.

I'm sure they'd 'like' that to happen, WAY to early to tell. Once/if they float it they will know better....

I would take this all with a grain of salt. At present, Carnival Corporation is trying to stop the devaluation of the stock. There is no way of knowing at this time. They have not assessed the damage, how could they. But what are they going to say?

In the latest Carnival Corporation statement regarding guidance on their stocks due to this accident, it seems to allude to the fact that Concordia may return to service.

Archived