What is the future of the Concordia??

coolsky1994

http://wirtschaft.t-online.de/costa-concordia-unfall-des-kreuzfahrtschiffs-schockt-die-branche/id_53202112/index

http://translate.google.de/#en|de|Der%20Unfall%20des%20Kreuzfahrtschiffs%20%22Costa%20Concordia%22%20kostet%20die%20Konzernmuttergesellschaft%20Carnival%20bis%20zu%2095%20Millionen%20US-Dollar%20(rund%2075%20Millionen%20Euro)%20Umsatzausfall%20allein%20im%20laufenden%20Jahr.%20Das%20havarierte%20Schiff%20werde%20%22mindestens%20bis%20zum%20Ende%20des%20Gesch%C3%A4ftsjahres%22%20am%2030.%20November%20au%C3%9Fer%20Betrieb%20sein%2C%20wenn%20nicht%20l%C3%A4nger%2C%20erkl%C3%A4rte%20der%20gr%C3%B6%C3%9Fte%20Kreuzfahrtkonzern%20der%20Welt.%0A%0A

According to these news the ship will be out of service until fall 2012, or longer.

Can anybody give some sources please which contain information about the recovering of C. Concordia???

this ship is dead. maybe of some use as parts for the other conquest class ships carnival owns. people on here make me laugh, like its so easy to take a 114,000 ton, 952 foot long, top heavy cruise ship thats laying on its side on rocks and refloat it. good luck with that. i wont be shocked if its completely underwater by the end of the month. back in ww2 the ss normandie, a 83,000 ton, 1000 ft long superliner layed on its side at a pier in ny after a fire. it took cutting off the super structure and almost two years to right her to an even keel. dont forget that was at a major port with the military and marine salvors and a basically unlimited budget. oh that ship was toast too. bye bye concordia, may your parts and scrap metal come in useful.

On one of the other threads someone posted a newspaper link to the underwater pictures of the Costa Concordia.

I'm not sure the vantage point of the pictures, but it looks like the starboard side. Lots of damage, just eerie. The task of patching up the hole on the port side seems monumental itself, but how could the side laying on the rocks, damaged be repaired & the ship floated (especially since the ship is subject to weather, waves & slippage).

I'm no engineer but I'd be interested in someone explaining what the process would be.

In the meantime I'm hoping some good news will follow shortly & others will be found alive.

None of the steps are easy, but you have giant salvage companies who have done this before. Essentially, here is what they'll do:

Secure the ship in place so it doesn't slide into deeper water (and roll over further). Patch the rip in the side with steel plate. Patch any damage on the other side with steel plate. Pump out the water. Tow to drydock.

As far as no buyers for the rebuilt ship....there are always buyers....lots of cruise companies in parts of the world where "we" don't normally cruise.....and Carnival could always use the ship somewhere.

@ghstudio..thanks for the explanation.

The process just seems very complex, considering all the variables (weather, environmental issues, man power & government regulations).

I'm assuming something will eventually have to be done when this whole terrible event is over.

Who knows? Some uninformed media (mostly in the UK for some reason) are reporting she will be scrapped, while Carnival Corp. itself says they have salvage teams on site assessing the damage and the ship could be out of service for awhile (not scrapped, out of service).

Now, these professional salvage companies are real professionals and know what they are doing. They have done these types of things before, albeit, not a superliner cruise ship, but they have done huge oil tankers and the like.

Either way, the ship will have to be patched, pumped and refloated and towed somewhere either for rebuild or scrapping, they won't allow her to sit in the harbor and rust away nor do I see the Italian Government allowing them to sink her in such shallow waters and pose navigational hazards later.

Interseting to see what everybodys thoughts were. Well see what happens.

Well it is very intresting watching this unfold with people missing (hope they will be found alive) To the questions of how are they going to move the ship what is her fate for advid cruiser such as myself it is very sad to see this happen and to such a well known company usually you will here of mishaps on smaller fleets that are not so well known the other question know one brought up is this DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE HAUNTED??? I guess time will only tell our prayers go out to those who are still missing.

In my opinion every day that goes by without salvage operations starting, the less likely they will be able to save the ship. It is going to take weeks alone to get the fuel and oil out of the ship.

Regardless of how grim it looks, if I was somebody waiting for word on a missing family member, I would want the rescue operation to last as long as possible until every single person is found.

Tough decisions for the local officials between continuing a rescue operation or moving to a salvage operation.

As sad and heart breaking as it is..........at some point soon the rescue work will declared over and the salvage work will begin. Every day the wreck sits there full of oil the possiblity of a spill increases. One good storm could break her back. It is very possible that any bodies still within the hull will be recovered as the floating or breaking up(which ever is decided on) work goes on.

AKK

I remember the salvage team Titan that re-ballasted the Cougar Ace full of something like 4,000 new Mazdas. It was big news up here in Alaska in 2006, many thought it was impossible, but they did it though one of them died.

And the Mazdas?

They were completely shredded, no parts removed no car sold in any way shape or form, Mazda did not want any possible problems down the line from even the remotest chance of corrosion.

114,000 ton

It's registered tonnage is a measure of volumne not mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_tonnage

It's displacement is equal to it's mass (Archimedes) and that is just over 50,000 tonnes:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/simulating-costa-concordia-41365.html

However it's still a formidable mass, and of course there is also all that water inside as well.

And PS - if it was genuinely top-heavy it would have capsized when it was launched...

Archived