What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I am 59 married man and my wife does not want to cruise so I go alone. I haven't done so yet but I can see mutual benefit to sharing a cabin besides the obvious cost savings. For the woman. Help with luggage & carry-on bags. More safety walking about at ports. No dirty looks from women when you talk to their husbands (since you are with a man yourself) A dinner companion & dance partner (no being asked by men you don't care to dance with or none at all) and a platonic friend to spend a little or a lot of time with and no tension or expectations. For the man it is many of the same advantages plus if you are walking around the port of call and get lost, the woman can ask directions since men never want to. LOL

Safety in ports is a great point. When my mom and I were in Jamaica, we definitely did NOT feel safe at Dunns River Falls! The merchants were overbearing and scary.:eek:

Hi,

I've been eyeing the Epic and that new solo cabin they have for awhile.

And see a couple of you have been on it.

Any more info on it? average age and so on ?

Is the solo cabin more expensive than an inside cabin ?

Never have cruised NCL but that solo cabin is enticing :)

All my transatlantics have been solo, not that I particularly wanted them that way, but like everyone else, either friends couldnt go for that long or financial matters - my short cruises have been with Best Cruising GF, every year in Dec, but she can't make it this year. Great roommate - she does her thing, I do mine and we meet for meals - we once had a cabin so small we had to turn the beds toe to head and head to toe...If you can laugh and survive that, even if only 4 nights, you know it's the right cruise-mate :). I've always met people on my solo TA cruises to chat or dine with - but since I try to spend 10 days to a month in Europe at the cruise's destination, what I do miss is a companion to share the sights with. Then again, unless it's a compatible travel companion, you're better off traveling alone I think.

Hi Mahya,

Not sure what the Epic TA might be like, since it's 2 weeks it may have a different demographic (more retirees?). But during my cruise it was a very broad spectrum of ages. The youngest solo traveler during my sailing was 27 and the oldest one was in her 80's.

The benefit in the ship was that we had the get-together for solos at 6 pm and then we could figure out things for all of us to do together, so I can say I didn't spend any time bored and I got to meet a very fun group of people that I got to hang out with (mostly between 27 and 50 years).

Overall it was a great time and am thinking about doing the Caribbean trip next year... though I just found out I may be first doing the Magic for NYE traveling semi-solo (my parents will also be on the ship)

Hey everyone!

I am 29 years old and I am a fairly new transplant to the Pittsburgh, PA area. I will be embarking on my first solo cruise on my first transatlantic cruise to my first trip to Europe! A lot of firsts there! I am a single guy and I typically go on vacations alone because my parents like to go on trips I'm not necessarily interested in (they just went on a Northeast US/Canada cruise on the Jewel of the Seas) and most of my friends aren't in a position to afford vacations. I also love the ability to do what I want, when I want to do it and not have to worry about whether someone else wants to go or not. I work in a high stress environment, so being able to wind down and not have to socialize if I don't want to is another major perk.

Hey everyone!

I am 29 years old and I am a fairly new transplant to the Pittsburgh, PA area. I will be embarking on my first solo cruise on my first transatlantic cruise to my first trip to Europe! A lot of firsts there! I am a single guy and I typically go on vacations alone because my parents like to go on trips I'm not necessarily interested in (they just went on a Northeast US/Canada cruise on the Jewel of the Seas) and most of my friends aren't in a position to afford vacations. I also love the ability to do what I want, when I want to do it and not have to worry about whether someone else wants to go or not. I work in a high stress environment, so being able to wind down and not have to socialize if I don't want to is another major perk.

Congrats on your first solo, you will love it!!! I did an European cruise with my mom last year and it was amazing! Also, went on my first solo this October and have another one planned next year.

I just booked my first solo cruise. I have taken 4 previous cruises with family and have number 5 booked for Feb with my mom but number 6 will be my first time by myself. I am in a long term relationship but will be retiring at the end of the year so will have much more time for cruising than my SO who will still be working for a few more years. :(

So i have decided to cruise alone which for me I don't think will be a big stretch. Like another poster on here I am an only child and very independent. Like most of you I am looking forward to having my own space and being able to do what I want when I want without having to worry about another person.

This solo cruise is a 12 day repositioning cruise which is also a first for me. The longest cruise I have taken previously was 7 days. I am really looking forward to being able to take advantage of any last minute deals that come my way.:)

Hi Mahya,

Not sure what the Epic TA might be like, since it's 2 weeks it may have a different demographic (more retirees?). But during my cruise it was a very broad spectrum of ages. The youngest solo traveler during my sailing was 27 and the oldest one was in her 80's.

The benefit in the ship was that we had the get-together for solos at 6 pm and then we could figure out things for all of us to do together, so I can say I didn't spend any time bored and I got to meet a very fun group of people that I got to hang out with (mostly between 27 and 50 years).

Overall it was a great time and am thinking about doing the Caribbean trip next year... though I just found out I may be first doing the Magic for NYE traveling semi-solo (my parents will also be on the ship)

Thanks for the info on the Epic, I have booked my first solo for the 23rd of March. Looking forward to meeting new people and just relaxing.

I would to see if anyone else has gone or is going? :)

Hi Mahya,

Hi Gaucho,

Thanks for the information on NCL which is very helpful. Great idea for the solos to have a get together - wish all the ships did that. Have been looking at their TA prices which are super excellent and thinking to work out plans for TA in the fall of 2013.

Hi all! Well, after years of wanting to do it, I am finally booked on my first solo cruise leaving in 9 days. Yay! :)

I'm 39 and newly married - cruised a LOT with my ex, a few times with family, then divorced and cruised with my new husband. Solo cruising is just one of those things that I have always wanted to do, and my new hubby is the first person to 'get it.' After almost 20 years in the military, I've traveled the world by myself but found myself needing a break. You see, I was supposed to head off to Afghanistan this spring, but my pre-deployment medical tests had some abnormalities that turned out to be cancer. So after spending the summer and fall having treatment and finally being given the all-clear, I decided that this would NOT be the year that I got cancer AND didn't cruise. So I'm off on a quickie 3 night cruise out of LA next weekend. And I cannot wait. :D I have a feeling already that this may become a habit.

Hi all! Well, after years of wanting to do it, I am finally booked on my first solo cruise leaving in 9 days. Yay! :)

I'm 39 and newly married - cruised a LOT with my ex, a few times with family, then divorced and cruised with my new husband. Solo cruising is just one of those things that I have always wanted to do, and my new hubby is the first person to 'get it.' After almost 20 years in the military, I've traveled the world by myself but found myself needing a break. You see, I was supposed to head off to Afghanistan this spring, but my pre-deployment medical tests had some abnormalities that turned out to be cancer. So after spending the summer and fall having treatment and finally being given the all-clear, I decided that this would NOT be the year that I got cancer AND didn't cruise. So I'm off on a quickie 3 night cruise out of LA next weekend. And I cannot wait. :D I have a feeling already that this may become a habit.

WOW....glad you are all-clear:D and hope you have a fun cruise too:)

Mahya - exactly! I'm probably the only person who can say getting sent to Afghanistan likely saved my life. :D And I'm still in - probably won't have to go again since I need rather frequent checkups for the next 5 years. I miss deploying a little bit (have done about 15 or so and the extra money for cruises comes in handy!), but I wasn't all that jazzed about AFG, so I'm ok with it. :)

Lois - Thanks! Should be both fun and relaxing. No better vacation for me than looking at the sea by day and living it up when the sun goes down. :)

And thanks GTVCRUISER! Happy sailing to you as well.

Just got off the Fascinstion today. You were all right, solo is definitely the way to go. I did what I wanted, when I wanted. I met so many more people, spent so much more time partying and having a good time, with no worries about judgement (since I really NEVER, NEVER drink) or waking someone up. It was AMAZING and I think I would have to think long & hard about going back to sharing, even if that does keep me, due to budget constraints, on Bahamas cruises on small ships.

Welcome back!! Wahoo, glad your first solo experience was as well as we all knew it would be!!

When's your next solo cruise?? :):)

I know what you mean about thinking long and hard about the next cruise not being a solo. I'm cruising in 4 days and this next trip won't be solo, know there will be many times I'll miss that. But there's always the next cruise after that. :)

Just got off the Fascinstion today. You were all right, solo is definitely the way to go. I did what I wanted, when I wanted. I met so many more people, spent so much more time partying and having a good time, with no worries about judgement (since I really NEVER, NEVER drink) or waking someone up. It was AMAZING and I think I would have to think long & hard about going back to sharing, even if that does keep me, due to budget constraints, on Bahamas cruises on small ships.

Welcome back!! Wahoo, glad your first solo experience was as well as we all knew it would be!!

When's your next solo cruise?? :):)

I know what you mean about thinking long and hard about the next cruise not being a solo. I'm cruising in 4 days and this next trip won't be solo, know there will be many times I'll miss that. But there's always the next cruise after that. :)

I wish I knew! It was 2 years between cruise 1 & 2, don't wanna wait that long again. Will have to see what the tax man brings as a late Christmas present. There's a 5 day to Cozumel & Grand Cayman out of Tampa next November that looks promising. On the Paradise I think. My good friends are doing Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize & Costa May in September. I'd love to go but it would be more than twice what I spent this time, and there's just no way.

Hello all.....53 male here. I just completed my first solo cruise over Thanksgiving and had a great time.

I have a xmas cruise coming that my Ex is joining me for....but am about to book a 10 night transatlantic solo (cannot beat the price).

As a major introvert I had a lot of anxiety that first time...but all worth it and looking forward to more...

Hello all.....53 male here. I just completed my first solo cruise over Thanksgiving and had a great time.

I have a xmas cruise coming that my Ex is joining me for....but am about to book a 10 night transatlantic solo (cannot beat the price).

As a major introvert I had a lot of anxiety that first time...but all worth it and looking forward to more...

I understand your feelings of anxiety Jeff, because that's why I kept putting off booking a cruise. Evenutally I made myself book, and have never looked back. In fact, I'm going out this evening to meet a female friend that I met on QM2 last year!