What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

Thanks Tikigal!

I did jump up and down on the bed after reading your note... The epic was a great ship to cruise solo on, due to their solo cabins and living room to meet with other people traveling on their own. I met a lot of great people, and I realized yesterday when I left the ship that I didn't dine alone on any nights, since there seemed to be always group meals for those interested in hanging out with other people.

I will say that the only thing I did notice is that in the mediterranean itinerary the ship takes on passengers in 3 different ports, the main port being Barcelona. Since I boarded in Rome, the Solo group from the prior barcelona port had already clicked and it was a bit tougher to integrate with them. Then I also was sad, because I really hit it off with the new Barcelona crowd and I had to leave them shortly.

Guess I'll have to try the ship again from Miami (or even do it next year from Barcelona!)

Hi,

I've been eyeing the Epic and that new solo cabin they have for awhile.

And see a couple of you have been on it.

Any more info on it? average age and so on ?

Is the solo cabin more expensive than an inside cabin ?

Never have cruised NCL but that solo cabin is enticing :)

All my transatlantics have been solo, not that I particularly wanted them that way, but like everyone else, either friends couldnt go for that long or financial matters - my short cruises have been with Best Cruising GF, every year in Dec, but she can't make it this year. Great roommate - she does her thing, I do mine and we meet for meals - we once had a cabin so small we had to turn the beds toe to head and head to toe...If you can laugh and survive that, even if only 4 nights, you know it's the right cruise-mate :). I've always met people on my solo TA cruises to chat or dine with - but since I try to spend 10 days to a month in Europe at the cruise's destination, what I do miss is a companion to share the sights with. Then again, unless it's a compatible travel companion, you're better off traveling alone I think.

Edited by Mahya
adding to

I am male 51 never married and with a 20 day Transatlantic cruise from Venice on the Crown Princess. This will make my 50th cruise with Princess. You do get double credit traveling alone on Princess the past few years. I wish I was going with someone but 20 days is a long time and know I can have fun by myself. I have taken my parents on four cruises; the fiurst for their 40th anniversary back in 2001. My father who passed on suddenly 4 days after his 72nd birthday recently; took him on our first Med cruise in 2003 and baltic in 2004. My Mom I have taken on 7 cruises. I have taken friends along who were going through tough times. i have found all of a sudden instead of coming along with me; it has become their cruise and follow along with their wants and needs. I would rather go by myself..and possibly meet someone who loves cruising as much with me. That is because they would not be there if they didn't. It will be a season traveler on this 20 day cruise but I just love the transatlantic's with great sea days instead of all port days like a Mediterranean cruise consists of.

Hi All!

I am planning my first "semi solo" (as another cruiser put it!) cruise, for myeslf and my son (who is 8).

I have ALWAYS wanted to cruise (have done so twice with my DH and family), but my DH definitely doesn't have the infatuation with cruising that I have!

So, I am asking all of you- who are you? Are you single adults? Married adults that like to travel solo some times (or all the time)? Do you have kids? Do any of you have spouses/partners and or kids who just don't WANT to go?

I have to admit, I am feeling slightly guilty about booking this cruise for us in April- not taking DH and my two other (teenage) sons (who really don't want to go anyway! Afraid there will be "nothing to do"! LOL!).

But here's the thing: my DH travels for his work, more than 50% of the time... so he gets away from our crazy, chaotic, loud house (with three boys, and two dogs!) often (and is always staying in a 5 star hotel, I might add!). I work full time as a pediatric nurse practitioner, in heart transplant. I have the BEST job, but it's been pretty stressfull the past 6 months or so, so I REALLY need a break! I am 43 years old, not that that matters!

So, I would love to hear YOUR stories! Who are all of you?!?

Karen

Hi Karen,

I vacation "semi-solo" every year during the first week of July. My mom and I take a vacation that week, but each like our own rooms, so I am solo in my cabin. We spend a lot of time together, but also like to do things on our own now and then. I am married and my husband also does not have the cruise bug in the way that I do. I thought it was the greatest vacation ever when he and I went. So my mom and I opted to cruise for our vaca last year. She also enjoyed it and now we will cruise again. My problem this year is the fares. They seem to have doubled since last July for solo cruisers. :(

I have three kids (one in college, one nearing HS grad, and one that is 13) and they have never cruised. The oldest is interested, but the other two are not, for some reason. I feel like if I insisted and they went, they would really like it.

Don't feel too guilty! It sounds like your husband (like mine) is going to be relieved to not be going on the cruise you are planning! When your son gets home and tells his brothers how much fun he had, you might end up with more companions on the next cruise!

Have a great time.

Sherry

I am 59 married man and my wife does not want to cruise so I go alone. I haven't done so yet but I can see mutual benefit to sharing a cabin besides the obvious cost savings. For the woman. Help with luggage & carry-on bags. More safety walking about at ports. No dirty looks from women when you talk to their husbands (since you are with a man yourself) A dinner companion & dance partner (no being asked by men you don't care to dance with or none at all) and a platonic friend to spend a little or a lot of time with and no tension or expectations. For the man it is many of the same advantages plus if you are walking around the port of call and get lost, the woman can ask directions since men never want to. LOL

Safety in ports is a great point. When my mom and I were in Jamaica, we definitely did NOT feel safe at Dunns River Falls! The merchants were overbearing and scary.:eek:

Hi,

I've been eyeing the Epic and that new solo cabin they have for awhile.

And see a couple of you have been on it.

Any more info on it? average age and so on ?

Is the solo cabin more expensive than an inside cabin ?

Never have cruised NCL but that solo cabin is enticing :)

All my transatlantics have been solo, not that I particularly wanted them that way, but like everyone else, either friends couldnt go for that long or financial matters - my short cruises have been with Best Cruising GF, every year in Dec, but she can't make it this year. Great roommate - she does her thing, I do mine and we meet for meals - we once had a cabin so small we had to turn the beds toe to head and head to toe...If you can laugh and survive that, even if only 4 nights, you know it's the right cruise-mate :). I've always met people on my solo TA cruises to chat or dine with - but since I try to spend 10 days to a month in Europe at the cruise's destination, what I do miss is a companion to share the sights with. Then again, unless it's a compatible travel companion, you're better off traveling alone I think.

Hi Mahya,

Not sure what the Epic TA might be like, since it's 2 weeks it may have a different demographic (more retirees?). But during my cruise it was a very broad spectrum of ages. The youngest solo traveler during my sailing was 27 and the oldest one was in her 80's.

The benefit in the ship was that we had the get-together for solos at 6 pm and then we could figure out things for all of us to do together, so I can say I didn't spend any time bored and I got to meet a very fun group of people that I got to hang out with (mostly between 27 and 50 years).

Overall it was a great time and am thinking about doing the Caribbean trip next year... though I just found out I may be first doing the Magic for NYE traveling semi-solo (my parents will also be on the ship)

Hey everyone!

I am 29 years old and I am a fairly new transplant to the Pittsburgh, PA area. I will be embarking on my first solo cruise on my first transatlantic cruise to my first trip to Europe! A lot of firsts there! I am a single guy and I typically go on vacations alone because my parents like to go on trips I'm not necessarily interested in (they just went on a Northeast US/Canada cruise on the Jewel of the Seas) and most of my friends aren't in a position to afford vacations. I also love the ability to do what I want, when I want to do it and not have to worry about whether someone else wants to go or not. I work in a high stress environment, so being able to wind down and not have to socialize if I don't want to is another major perk.

Hey everyone!

I am 29 years old and I am a fairly new transplant to the Pittsburgh, PA area. I will be embarking on my first solo cruise on my first transatlantic cruise to my first trip to Europe! A lot of firsts there! I am a single guy and I typically go on vacations alone because my parents like to go on trips I'm not necessarily interested in (they just went on a Northeast US/Canada cruise on the Jewel of the Seas) and most of my friends aren't in a position to afford vacations. I also love the ability to do what I want, when I want to do it and not have to worry about whether someone else wants to go or not. I work in a high stress environment, so being able to wind down and not have to socialize if I don't want to is another major perk.

Congrats on your first solo, you will love it!!! I did an European cruise with my mom last year and it was amazing! Also, went on my first solo this October and have another one planned next year.

I just booked my first solo cruise. I have taken 4 previous cruises with family and have number 5 booked for Feb with my mom but number 6 will be my first time by myself. I am in a long term relationship but will be retiring at the end of the year so will have much more time for cruising than my SO who will still be working for a few more years. :(

So i have decided to cruise alone which for me I don't think will be a big stretch. Like another poster on here I am an only child and very independent. Like most of you I am looking forward to having my own space and being able to do what I want when I want without having to worry about another person.

This solo cruise is a 12 day repositioning cruise which is also a first for me. The longest cruise I have taken previously was 7 days. I am really looking forward to being able to take advantage of any last minute deals that come my way.:)

Hi Mahya,

Not sure what the Epic TA might be like, since it's 2 weeks it may have a different demographic (more retirees?). But during my cruise it was a very broad spectrum of ages. The youngest solo traveler during my sailing was 27 and the oldest one was in her 80's.

The benefit in the ship was that we had the get-together for solos at 6 pm and then we could figure out things for all of us to do together, so I can say I didn't spend any time bored and I got to meet a very fun group of people that I got to hang out with (mostly between 27 and 50 years).

Overall it was a great time and am thinking about doing the Caribbean trip next year... though I just found out I may be first doing the Magic for NYE traveling semi-solo (my parents will also be on the ship)

Thanks for the info on the Epic, I have booked my first solo for the 23rd of March. Looking forward to meeting new people and just relaxing.

I would to see if anyone else has gone or is going? :)

Hi Mahya,

Hi Gaucho,

Thanks for the information on NCL which is very helpful. Great idea for the solos to have a get together - wish all the ships did that. Have been looking at their TA prices which are super excellent and thinking to work out plans for TA in the fall of 2013.

Hi all! Well, after years of wanting to do it, I am finally booked on my first solo cruise leaving in 9 days. Yay! :)

I'm 39 and newly married - cruised a LOT with my ex, a few times with family, then divorced and cruised with my new husband. Solo cruising is just one of those things that I have always wanted to do, and my new hubby is the first person to 'get it.' After almost 20 years in the military, I've traveled the world by myself but found myself needing a break. You see, I was supposed to head off to Afghanistan this spring, but my pre-deployment medical tests had some abnormalities that turned out to be cancer. So after spending the summer and fall having treatment and finally being given the all-clear, I decided that this would NOT be the year that I got cancer AND didn't cruise. So I'm off on a quickie 3 night cruise out of LA next weekend. And I cannot wait. :D I have a feeling already that this may become a habit.

Hi all! Well, after years of wanting to do it, I am finally booked on my first solo cruise leaving in 9 days. Yay! :)

I'm 39 and newly married - cruised a LOT with my ex, a few times with family, then divorced and cruised with my new husband. Solo cruising is just one of those things that I have always wanted to do, and my new hubby is the first person to 'get it.' After almost 20 years in the military, I've traveled the world by myself but found myself needing a break. You see, I was supposed to head off to Afghanistan this spring, but my pre-deployment medical tests had some abnormalities that turned out to be cancer. So after spending the summer and fall having treatment and finally being given the all-clear, I decided that this would NOT be the year that I got cancer AND didn't cruise. So I'm off on a quickie 3 night cruise out of LA next weekend. And I cannot wait. :D I have a feeling already that this may become a habit.

WOW....glad you are all-clear:D and hope you have a fun cruise too:)

Mahya - exactly! I'm probably the only person who can say getting sent to Afghanistan likely saved my life. :D And I'm still in - probably won't have to go again since I need rather frequent checkups for the next 5 years. I miss deploying a little bit (have done about 15 or so and the extra money for cruises comes in handy!), but I wasn't all that jazzed about AFG, so I'm ok with it. :)

Lois - Thanks! Should be both fun and relaxing. No better vacation for me than looking at the sea by day and living it up when the sun goes down. :)

And thanks GTVCRUISER! Happy sailing to you as well.