What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

Hi All!

I am planning my first "semi solo" (as another cruiser put it!) cruise, for myeslf and my son (who is 8).

I have ALWAYS wanted to cruise (have done so twice with my DH and family), but my DH definitely doesn't have the infatuation with cruising that I have!

So, I am asking all of you- who are you? Are you single adults? Married adults that like to travel solo some times (or all the time)? Do you have kids? Do any of you have spouses/partners and or kids who just don't WANT to go?

I have to admit, I am feeling slightly guilty about booking this cruise for us in April- not taking DH and my two other (teenage) sons (who really don't want to go anyway! Afraid there will be "nothing to do"! LOL!).

But here's the thing: my DH travels for his work, more than 50% of the time... so he gets away from our crazy, chaotic, loud house (with three boys, and two dogs!) often (and is always staying in a 5 star hotel, I might add!). I work full time as a pediatric nurse practitioner, in heart transplant. I have the BEST job, but it's been pretty stressfull the past 6 months or so, so I REALLY need a break! I am 43 years old, not that that matters!

So, I would love to hear YOUR stories! Who are all of you?!?

Karen

Hi, Karen! I'm an NP, too!

I'm 46, married, have a 25 year old daughter. I love, love, love cruising, but absolutely cannot get my husband to go. My first cruise was with my mom and daughter 7 years ago. I was hooked! I have been on 4 cruises now, and I have always taken my daughter and mom, and recently my sister and adult step-daughter. I have come to realize that it is a real hassle for me to be with a group. I am the one in charge of making all the plans, and except for my sister, I pay for everyone, too. It is becoming less and less fun for me to try and get everyone together for dinner, shows, excursions, etc. I feel responsible for everyone's good time. I am a true introvert at heart, and I really want to enjoy my vacation without having to worry about anyone else. I would love it if my husband would join me, but he really does not want to cruise. He is a bigger introvert even than I am, and the thoughts of all that forced togetherness makes him shudder. I have finally decided that I would have a much better time alone. Now I can't wait! I am going on Celebrity Reflection, a ship I am familiar with. I think I will be perfectly happy on my own. My only mild concern is dinner time. I would prefer to eat at a table with others, but also want to maintain my privacy and don't look forward to fielding curious questions about why I would want to travel alone. Other than that, I am totally looking forward to this!

Hi, Karen! I'm an NP, too!

I'm 46, married, have a 25 year old daughter. I love, love, love cruising, but absolutely cannot get my husband to go. My first cruise was with my mom and daughter 7 years ago. I was hooked! I have been on 4 cruises now, and I have always taken my daughter and mom, and recently my sister and adult step-daughter. I have come to realize that it is a real hassle for me to be with a group. I am the one in charge of making all the plans, and except for my sister, I pay for everyone, too. It is becoming less and less fun for me to try and get everyone together for dinner, shows, excursions, etc. I feel responsible for everyone's good time. I am a true introvert at heart, and I really want to enjoy my vacation without having to worry about anyone else. I would love it if my husband would join me, but he really does not want to cruise. He is a bigger introvert even than I am, and the thoughts of all that forced togetherness makes him shudder. I have finally decided that I would have a much better time alone. Now I can't wait! I am going on Celebrity Reflection, a ship I am familiar with. I think I will be perfectly happy on my own. My only mild concern is dinner time. I would prefer to eat at a table with others, but also want to maintain my privacy and don't look forward to fielding curious questions about why I would want to travel alone. Other than that, I am totally looking forward to this!

Hi Karen:) I know you from the X board;) been cruising with them

for 10 years now. Hope you have a wonderful time and if you have

any questions, I will be glad to try and help. I was on Reflection back

in Dec for her 3 night Inaugural.

Hi Karen:) I know you from the X board;) been cruising with them

for 10 years now. Hope you have a wonderful time and if you have

any questions, I will be glad to try and help. I was on Reflection back

in Dec for her 3 night Inaugural.

Thank you, Lois! I'm Suzanne, though, the suz in Greensuz. Greensuz was my auto-assigned computer login at a job I had a long time ago, and I just stuck with it. :) Karen was the OP. But thank you so much for all your helpful advice so far, about Celebrity and solo cruising.

Thank you, Lois! I'm Suzanne, though, the suz in Greensuz. Greensuz was my auto-assigned computer login at a job I had a long time ago, and I just stuck with it. :) Karen was the OP. But thank you so much for all your helpful advice so far, about Celebrity and solo cruising.

Oh...sorry about that:o...Suzanne!:D did I see you say you are booking

an AQUA SUITE? Now that is SWEET:D;)

Suites are always out of my pricepoint:eek:

Oh...sorry about that:o...Suzanne!:D did I see you say you are booking

an AQUA SUITE? Now that is SWEET!

Suites are always out of my pricepoint:eek:

That's OK, Lois! :)

Yes, I'm doing the Aqua suite. I am suite-spoiled, for sure! I just love the pampering. I've been spending so much dragging along family members just for their company, that I'll be spending a lot less in an aqua suite alone, even with the single premium. Finally realized, what am I paying for my dd, sister, etc, to go with me, when I would be much happier and more relaxed BY MYSELF! :D I'm always my own best company. Well, I love my husband's company, but he would not enjoy a cruise, and although he will do anything for me if I insist, his misery would ruin my fun!

I booked my first ever solo cruise. Im a mid40's, married, mom to 3 beautiful girls. Im very excited to try this new adventure.

I've been reading the solo boards for a while now and thank you so much for all the information.

I feel pretty comfortable with my decision, just a little nervous about dining, which seems to be a common theme.

I booked my first ever solo cruise. Im a mid40's, married, mom to 3 beautiful girls. Im very excited to try this new adventure.

I've been reading the solo boards for a while now and thank you so much for all the information.

I feel pretty comfortable with my decision, just a little nervous about dining, which seems to be a common theme.

It's easy to understand the jitters about dining and actually going alone. But let me tell you that I have had good experiences cruising alone. During my excursions other people asked me to join them, during shows people asked me to sit with them, at dinner I had a good time making conversation with the table mates. People will ask questions and wonder why you would go alone on a cruise. When they would ask me I would tell them that I needed a break from work, had some vacation time and no one else could come with me so instead of sitting at home and wasting it, I decided to cruise! Sure there can be some close minded, insecure, or ignorant people who might react negatively but all I got was "wow you are so brave!" or "That's great, good for you!"

I think the important thing to remember is that you are doing this for you and why stay home when you could be having fun and experiencing new things. Alone? So what? You are free to do whatever you want. You don't have to compromise and miss the things you want to do.

I would recommend not to sit at a table with a just couples or families with kids if you can avoid it. Better to sit with other solo travelers or group of friends. If you feel like you can't handle it, or can't get moved, then there is always the buffet option.

Edited by FireMedT

Don't even worry about what people may think. It doesn't matter and shouldn't affect your vacation. There are many people who travel solo. There are sites, blogs, Youtube channels just for solo travelers. Go and enjoy your trip and don't pay anyone any mind who has any judgement on you.

Not all friends can schedule vacation time together. Not all families can get together to travel. Not everyone can get days off from work at the same date. Some of us like to have a room to ourselves. Some of us can't sleep with someone who snores.

Edited by FireMedT

It's easy to understand the jitters about dining and actually going alone. But let me tell you that I have had good experiences cruising alone. During my excursions other people asked me to join them, during shows people asked me to sit with them, at dinner I had a good time making conversation with the table mates. People will ask questions and wonder why you would go alone on a cruise. When they would ask me I would tell them that I needed a break from work, had some vacation time and no one else could come with me so instead of sitting at home and wasting it, I decided to cruise! Sure there can be some close minded, insecure, or ignorant people who might react negatively but all I got was "wow you are so brave!" or "That's great, good for you!"

I think the important thing to remember is that you are doing this for you and why stay home when you could be having fun and experiencing new things. Alone? So what? You are free to do whatever you want. You don't have to compromise and miss the things you want to do.

I would recommend not to sit at a table with a just couples or families with kids if you can avoid it. Better to sit with other solo travelers or group of friends. If you feel like you can't handle it, or can't get moved, then there is always the buffet option.

I've had people tell me that I'm brave. I don't think there's any bravery about it - I got to the stage where I realised that I was sitting around and letting life pass me by. The choice was getting out and enjoying myself, or sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. It was a 'no-brainer' on that count!

I've booked a fifth solo cruise for later this year. However, one thing that I have been too timid to do is to fly somewhere for a couple of days on my own before the cruise, or stay on after the cruise.

Has anyone got any advice for me? I thought it might be best to do that in an English speaking country, so that I'd feel more comfortable.

People are very nice. They will approach you at the pool, gym, restaurants, etc. You will never feel alone or bored. You will meet people from all over the World. You will be surprised, strangers will ask you to join them for dinner, to go the gym, to the library, the spa, etc. If we want to eat by yourself and have privacy at restaurants or buffets, it's ok too. But people will smile at you because they are on vacation, relaxing. They will want to know about your culture, background, etc. I was very pleased to meet so many nice people on my cruise last year. I keep in touch with some of them via Facebook, e-mail.

I am a single 40 something :D and love to travel solo, was a bit apprehensive on cruising solo but have since been on several and really love being able to do what you want when when you want, I have taken many land based trips with family and it can be so hard to coordinate what will be done, I love my family but cherish my solo trips, I in a position to travel with finances and health and you only live once, no time to wait for that special traveling companion and family can't afford to travel with the kids - so off i go, next solo trip is California in 10 days, really need to get a cruise booked though, this is first time in several years that one is not booked

I am a single 40 something :D and love to travel solo, was a bit apprehensive on cruising solo but have since been on several and really love being able to do what you want when when you want, I have taken many land based trips with family and it can be so hard to coordinate what will be done, I love my family but cherish my solo trips, I in a position to travel with finances and health and you only live once, no time to wait for that special traveling companion and family can't afford to travel with the kids - so off i go, next solo trip is California in 10 days, really need to get a cruise booked though, this is first time in several years that one is not booked

You hit the proverbial nail on the head, Scott....I have found that the solo cruise is wonderful, after some initial apprehensions. My ex and I are very close and she does join me on some sailings - and it makes me immediately book a solo trip afterwards :D. I enjoy doing whatever happens to strike me without having to coordinate or compromise with another person....may sound selfish to some - I prefer to call it being independent and care-free :o

and i LOVED it. I'm in my 40s, widowed with a 20yr old daughter.... i've taken her on all but one other that was a 'no kids' cruise for us parents.

I was at a table for 8 and only 4 of us showed up.. all solo's and we had a BLAST. It was comfortable from the 1st night and that was the only part i was semi nervous about. No worries from here on out for dinner!

I did meet a LOT of people from roll call, and piano bar page... so had that planned from the start. But i will def. cruise solo again. LOVE having my own room, schedule and doing what i want, when i want.

Hoping to do a transatlantic in the next year or two... love sea days!

As long as i have good entertainment and a good book, i'm a happy cruiser.:D

BUT YES, customs did give me the once over.... asked why i was alone... said i needed a break from reality and a cruise is the only place i turn my phone off. He laughed and i was on my way.:cool:

thank you so much for encouragements , i will go alone on a cruise for the first time and i feel good about it! I will tell you as soon i will be back! Me too ,i am widowed and i used to take my daughter every cruise but now she is 18 so she prefers to stay at home with friends:rolleyes: -no offense taken,such is life!

So ,i am looking forward :p!!!!

thank you so much for encouragements , i will go alone on a cruise for the first time and i feel good about it! I will tell you as soon i will be back! Me too ,i am widowed and i used to take my daughter every cruise but now she is 18 so she prefers to stay at home with friends:rolleyes: -no offense taken,such is life!

So ,i am looking forward :p!!!!

So glad you are going! I can't wait to do another Solo. Its what you make it.... Definately don't be a wallflower... i sometimes tend to live in my own little world, but get me on a cruise and i try to be the social butterfly.... and have met some WONDEFUL friends that i still cruise with and plan to meet up with on even more cruises! Can't wait to hear how your trip is. (and my Kindle is my best friend on a cruise... it goes everywhere with me :-)

Its tough when you are used to going with daughter... but they do grow up and i decided her friends/boyfriends/college were not going to hold me back from having fun on my own. I hope to still travel with her in the future but in the meantime, Mommy gets to go and have no responsibility for the length of the cruise :D

I am single male that is 28 years old. Never been married and if I never find Mrs. Right, I am going to enjoy being single.

Even when I travel with family and friends, I still prefer my own room (or my own tent when I go tent camping).

I do travell by myself all the time and it is fun.

Married 40 years this year but hubby doesn't like cruising. Just booked my first solo. I'm in Mississippi and sail out of New Orleans. Wish me luck!

good luck ! I'm in Mississippi also :) It all started in NO for me.

I'm Wayne age 49 and I've sailed solo 15 times. Never married, no kids, which gives me certain freedoms of travel. Since I'm super friendly on a cruise ship, I meet plenty of like minded people. Cruises tend to bring together certain kindred spirits.

Hi all

I'm Vicky and I'm 25 years old (26 when I sail). Im going on my first ever cruise in August :)

I'm single, never been married and haven't found Mr right....yet! ;) And I don't have any kids. Most of my friends are either in relationships or totally skint! Hence why I'm travelling solo - I desperately needed a holiday and have always wanted to go on a cruise. I figured that I have less of a chance of getting lost on a ship than in a tourist city and I will probably have more of a chance of finding someone to talk to occasionally.

I have booked a couple of excursions with my cruise company, as I was a bit nervous about going off on my own.

I have to admit I'm nervous but very excited about it!

If anyone's got any advice or tips for me I'm all ears :D