What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I lost my wife of 30 years at the age of 67. We had been looking at the Hebridean Princess, a ship that only holds 47, but it was too expensive for the 2 of us in a window cabin.

After she passed, I found I could book an inside single room down in steerage. I took it, because I just had to get away.

Hi all

I'm Vicky and I'm 25 years old (26 when I sail). Im going on my first ever cruise in August :)

I'm single, never been married and haven't found Mr right....yet! ;) And I don't have any kids. Most of my friends are either in relationships or totally skint! Hence why I'm travelling solo - I desperately needed a holiday and have always wanted to go on a cruise. I figured that I have less of a chance of getting lost on a ship than in a tourist city and I will probably have more of a chance of finding someone to talk to occasionally.

I have booked a couple of excursions with my cruise company, as I was a bit nervous about going off on my own.

I have to admit I'm nervous but very excited about it!

If anyone's got any advice or tips for me I'm all ears :D

you will have a wonderful time Vicky. You are correct that you will be less lost on a cruise that in a large city and it sounds as if you will easily make friends. :)

I lost my wife of 30 years at the age of 67. We had been looking at the Hebridean Princess, a ship that only holds 47, but it was too expensive for the 2 of us in a window cabin.

After she passed, I found I could book an inside single room down in steerage. I took it, because I just had to get away.

I'm very sorry about your loss. Enjoy your trip :)

Hi all

I'm Vicky and I'm 25 years old (26 when I sail). Im going on my first ever cruise in August :)

I'm single, never been married and haven't found Mr right....yet! ;) And I don't have any kids. Most of my friends are either in relationships or totally skint! Hence why I'm travelling solo - I desperately needed a holiday and have always wanted to go on a cruise. I figured that I have less of a chance of getting lost on a ship than in a tourist city and I will probably have more of a chance of finding someone to talk to occasionally.

I have booked a couple of excursions with my cruise company, as I was a bit nervous about going off on my own.

I have to admit I'm nervous but very excited about it!

If anyone's got any advice or tips for me I'm all ears :D

Congrats on booking your cruise! You will have a great time. I am also in my late 20's and I took my first solo cruise a couple months back for the exact same reasons that you mention (except I haven't found Ms. right ;)). Definitely join your roll call if you haven't done so yet. It is a great way to meet people. Worst case you will atleast have a few familiar faces to run into throughout the cruise and best case you will find some people you really hit it off with and spend a lot of time with.

Try to be as social as possible. I am not the most social person in the world but theres something about a cruise that brings that out in me. I actually surprised myself at how social I was lol.

You might want to think about being a little flexible with your excursions. I had a couple excursions pre arranged and after the sea days I had met friends on the ship and we kinda formed our "group". I did my planned excursions then the last day did an excursion with my friends I had met on the ship and had a blast. Don't get me wrong I had a good time on the pre planned excursions but I didn't really hit it off with anyone and was ready to get back to the ship to find my "group".

The most important advice I can think to give you is to do your homework, be as prepared as possible and go with a good mindset. If you go with the mindset that you are gonna have a great time then more than likely you will! Some people seem to have a miserable time before they even leave home!

Just a warning....You will probably hear many many times "oh my god your all by yourself?" or something like this. Don't let this discourage you, some people are just not at all independent and can't "grasp" the concept. And chances are you will have just as many people say "good for you" or "I wish I had done things like that when I was your age" . It might be a good idea to have a few responses ready for when these conversations come up.

Being a little nervous is part of it. As my sailing date grew closer I got that much more nervous. But once I got to the airport and got into vacation mode and especially when I got to my pre cruise hotel all the nervousness went away.

Leaving for my first solo cruise in 2.5 days!! I am 36, divorced, with a 10 year old!! I have never travelled solo, but decided this year, it was something I wanted to do. I have been on 2 cruises in the past, not solo, but loved them....so figured to try my first solo vacation a cruise. I am sooooo excited. I don't think it will be my last. I am very extroverted and love meeting new people, so I know I will have a blast. Looking forward to relaxing and being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want. Loved the tips from the last post....thanks!!!

Congrats on booking your cruise! You will have a great time. I am also in my late 20's and I took my first solo cruise a couple months back for the exact same reasons that you mention (except I haven't found Ms. right ;)). Definitely join your roll call if you haven't done so yet. It is a great way to meet people. Worst case you will atleast have a few familiar faces to run into throughout the cruise and best case you will find some people you really hit it off with and spend a lot of time with.

Try to be as social as possible. I am not the most social person in the world but theres something about a cruise that brings that out in me. I actually surprised myself at how social I was lol.

You might want to think about being a little flexible with your excursions. I had a couple excursions pre arranged and after the sea days I had met friends on the ship and we kinda formed our "group". I did my planned excursions then the last day did an excursion with my friends I had met on the ship and had a blast. Don't get me wrong I had a good time on the pre planned excursions but I didn't really hit it off with anyone and was ready to get back to the ship to find my "group".

The most important advice I can think to give you is to do your homework, be as prepared as possible and go with a good mindset. If you go with the mindset that you are gonna have a great time then more than likely you will! Some people seem to have a miserable time before they even leave home!

Just a warning....You will probably hear many many times "oh my god your all by yourself?" or something like this. Don't let this discourage you, some people are just not at all independent and can't "grasp" the concept. And chances are you will have just as many people say "good for you" or "I wish I had done things like that when I was your age" . It might be a good idea to have a few responses ready for when these conversations come up.

Being a little nervous is part of it. As my sailing date grew closer I got that much more nervous. But once I got to the airport and got into vacation mode and especially when I got to my pre cruise hotel all the nervousness went away.

I agree 100% about the roll calls. They are a God-send for meeting new people. If the roll call goes well there should also be a meet & greet. Instant friends :) I've found that ship shore excursions are also an ideal way to meet our fellow passengers. On a ship of 3000 it is great to break down that into small groups of 10-50. I also play trivia---all of it :rolleyes: and karaoke.

Wayne :)

Leaving for my first solo cruise in 2.5 days!! I am 36, divorced, with a 10 year old!! I have never travelled solo, but decided this year, it was something I wanted to do. I have been on 2 cruises in the past, not solo, but loved them....so figured to try my first solo vacation a cruise. I am sooooo excited. I don't think it will be my last. I am very extroverted and love meeting new people, so I know I will have a blast. Looking forward to relaxing and being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want. Loved the tips from the last post....thanks!!!

If you are extroverted and love meeting new people you should fit right in :) On 15 cruises that has worked for me. Wayne ;)

Edited by Thoth

I'm 44 divorced Male and cruising solo for the first time on the Carnival Valor 7/14/13. A bit nervous about it but I am an extrovert so I'm hoping it will be fun. My roll call has gotten very quiet over the last few weeks but hopefully it will liven up soon. I have a few excursions planned so I think I can make it a fun trip.

I'm 44 divorced Male and cruising solo for the first time on the Carnival Valor 7/14/13. A bit nervous about it but I am an extrovert so I'm hoping it will be fun. My roll call has gotten very quiet over the last few weeks but hopefully it will liven up soon. I have a few excursions planned so I think I can make it a fun trip.

good luck to you :) I'm sure your trip will be a hoot. Carnival is a ton of fun...that's why they call them the "Fun Ships". Here's hoping that your CC roll call will result in a meet & greet. ;)

If you are extroverted and love meeting new people you should fit right in :) On 15 cruises that has worked for me. Wayne ;)

Thanks Thoth! I am pretty sure I will have a blast!! 15 cruises...awesome:)

Hi Vicky. I agree with "ZPDW". You should meet several young men & women to hang out with, which is why you shouldn't tie up each port day with pre-booked excursions. If you really like the excursion - book it, but keep yourself open to plan things with new friends that you meet on board. You can usually book a last minute excursion on the ship if you need to - or simply go to the beach or the town with other passengers (if you're on a large ship it is unlikely you will have to go by yourself - which may not be advisable at some ports)

Hi Vicky. I agree with "ZPDW". You should meet several young men & women to hang out with, which is why you shouldn't tie up each port day with pre-booked excursions. If you really like the excursion - book it, but keep yourself open to plan things with new friends that you meet on board. You can usually book a last minute excursion on the ship if you need to - or simply go to the beach or the town with other passengers (if you're on a large ship it is unlikely you will have to go by yourself - which may not be advisable at some ports)

Another option is book a shore tour with your new friends. There must have been a dozen of us who met on CC roll call who booked a wine tasting tour together.

Another option is book a shore tour with your new friends. There must have been a dozen of us who met on CC roll call who booked a wine tasting tour together.

I've joined a number of private excursion. I prefer that to taking the ship's excursions. The price is always better, there are often fewer people on the excursion, and people seem to be friendlier.

Thanks Thoth, ZPDW484 & 42CruiseCrazy, for the tips- I'm sure I will have a blast.

I have joined my roll call, but unfortunately there's not much activity there. Not may people have joined it yet. However I'm sure once I get on board I will have no problem meeting people and making friends - once I get over the initial shyness and have my first cocktail of course :D

I have booked a full day excursion to Rome because I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Rome again, and I also booked a half day excursion to Pompeii. But I still have 4 in port days with no solid plans. I'm pretty good at joining in with fun and games..... but i think its best for everyone if I stay away from the Karaoke! :D

And ZPDW funny you should mention.... but I have already had a fair few comments from friends and colleagues about how 'Brave' I am for going on holiday alone - so I'm getting pretty good at the comebacks :)

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Hi Karen!

I'm Kim, 31, single, no kids. I've cruised solo 3 times and I've also taken land vacations solo to St. Thomas, Hawaii, and Spain (well that was sort of solo; I spent 2 days by myself until my company joined me ;)). I started cruising solo because I didn't have anyone to go with me. My friends were broke or had families. Now, I love traveling solo, so much so that I sometimes turn down friends that want to take a trip with me. It's nice to get away and do what you want, when you want. I have a complete review in my signature from my last solo cruise, the Inspiration review. You and your little guy will have a great time.

Kiya- I'm originally from Memphis, born and raised! :)

I have been following one of the best Solo posts check it out for great tips and pictures. GAPEARL you Rock!!!!

Edited by Magico
words cut off

Thanks Thoth, ZPDW484 & 42CruiseCrazy, for the tips- I'm sure I will have a blast.

I have joined my roll call, but unfortunately there's not much activity there. Not may people have joined it yet. However I'm sure once I get on board I will have no problem meeting people and making friends - once I get over the initial shyness and have my first cocktail of course :D

I have booked a full day excursion to Rome because I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Rome again, and I also booked a half day excursion to Pompeii. But I still have 4 in port days with no solid plans. I'm pretty good at joining in with fun and games..... but i think its best for everyone if I stay away from the Karaoke! :D

And ZPDW funny you should mention.... but I have already had a fair few comments from friends and colleagues about how 'Brave' I am for going on holiday alone - so I'm getting pretty good at the comebacks :)

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Too bad few people wish to join the fun on your roll call :( but don't get discouraged . Once you get on board and with a cocktail things will pick up. I love Rome and think Pompeii to be one of the best attractions that I ever visited. Lucky you ! ;) That sounds like a fabulous trip.

Pompeii is an amazing site to visit. I was there in January, which was a good time of year as it wasn't too busy.

I understand that there has been an increase in tourists visiting following the big exhibition of Pompeii and Herculaneum at the British Museum.

Pompeii is an amazing site to visit. I was there in January, which was a good time of year as it wasn't too busy.

I understand that there has been an increase in tourists visiting following the big exhibition of Pompeii and Herculaneum at the British Museum.

Hopefully it means more revenue coming in to maintain the site. I heard that they lost the gladiator's building recently. Speaking of the British Museum, I loved that place too and hope to visit again next year. ;)

I thought it was time to shake things up a bit and head over to this solo site.

I'm (gulp) 51 (how did that happen?) and have taken many solo trips. I want to see the world and my best friends are homebodies. i'm divorced (for a lot more years than I was married, a very long time ago-I was a child bride ;)) and am used to being alone.

I would love to cruise with someone for the cost savings, but I sure do like being only responsible for me-one suitcase and one passport, no counting heads. I do miss seeing something wonderful or interesting and having no one to share that with. I usually get over it quickly. :)

I've met great people as part of the roll call or on tours or at dinner. I am never lonely. I leave for Alaska (again--so spoiled here on the west coast) in 3 weeks. the roll call is severely lacking but its okay. this trip is about resting--all I'm going to do is eat, sleep, walk, watch movies and read. and i'll be doing it all when I want for as long as i want! ahhhhh.

its been really interesting reading about you all!

I thought it was time to shake things up a bit and head over to this solo site.

I'm (gulp) 51 (how did that happen?) and have taken many solo trips. I want to see the world and my best friends are homebodies. i'm divorced (for a lot more years than I was married, a very long time ago-I was a child bride ;)) and am used to being alone.

I would love to cruise with someone for the cost savings, but I sure do like being only responsible for me-one suitcase and one passport, no counting heads. I do miss seeing something wonderful or interesting and having no one to share that with. I usually get over it quickly. :)

I've met great people as part of the roll call or on tours or at dinner. I am never lonely. I leave for Alaska (again--so spoiled here on the west coast) in 3 weeks. the roll call is severely lacking but its okay. this trip is about resting--all I'm going to do is eat, sleep, walk, watch movies and read. and i'll be doing it all when I want for as long as i want! ahhhhh.

its been really interesting reading about you all!

50 is sneaking up on me...NEXT year :eek: I'm single and my parents will go with me on fly/drive trips but not cruises. On cruises my "friends" don't wish to pay their own way...so forget them. It is cool to go away all alone and do it my way :cool:

I too mix it up real well with my fellow guest and don't get lonely until after it is over and I'm sitting in an airport all by myself :o.

Oh no ! if one goes to Alaska one must do more than rest. Glaciers, wildlife, salmon, photography, White Pass Railroad...:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am 63 and a widow......I am originally from Lancashire but moved to Gibraltar when I met my late husband here when on holiday!So. Holiday romance which worked out!

I have a lot of friends who although enjoy holidays not cruises as much as I do.I have been with my Mum as well but she is now 100 and has third stage dementia so she is now out of the picture!So......I will now have to go solo!

I am 63 and a widow......I am originally from Lancashire but moved to Gibraltar when I met my late husband here when on holiday!So. Holiday romance which worked out!

I have a lot of friends who although enjoy holidays not cruises as much as I do.I have been with my Mum as well but she is now 100 and has third stage dementia so she is now out of the picture!So......I will now have to go solo!

Nice story about meeting your husband. Sorry that your mother isn't doing so well, but how many are fortunate enough to see 100 ? :) Not many.